Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252733
View in linear mode

Subject: "Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Sat 08-Jun-13 03:45 PM
1402 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
Sun 09-Jun-13 03:14 AM by pasknucklehead

creekside, US

Hi everyone,
Well, I know everyone on here has followed me all the way up the ranks, and to some of you that has been quite the challenge..with this thick skull of mine...Well, all your hard work, and mine, has paid off...

Recently, I took the plunge and entered 2 of my water drop photos into a spring show at the gallery...There were some AMAZING work and some very talented photographers that entered also. At 7:00 last night, we all gathered around the gallery as the president went up to the mike to announce the winners....I stood there looking around at all the folks dressed in pretty dresses, the guys in there suits and ties all sipping wine and felt surprisingly relaxed. As they started announcing the winners, they announced 3 for judges merits, then the 3rd place winner and then as I was clapping for them, they said and in second place, for her waterdrop entry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,DARLENE PALMER!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh my, everyone was clapping and I know I stood there for it seemed like a century before my little legs stopped wobbling long enough for me to walk up, shake the presidents hand and accept my SECOND PLACE AWARD....Out of 37 photographers, I was number 2.....I sooooo did not expect that,,,,,and I sure didn't sleep all night,,,my head wouldn't fit on the pillow. It was such an amazing feeling knowing that I,,,who started out barely knowing how to even turn on this d90 could have my worked placed among all these wonderful artist and to then earn 2nd place. Well I just had to get up this morning and share this with all of you. You all have helped me get where I'm at now....THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart...

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news
ChipsByAl Silver Member
08th Jun 2013
jrp Administrator
08th Jun 2013
SheriB Silver Member
08th Jun 2013
pasknucklehead Silver Member
09th Jun 2013
cwils02 Gold Member
09th Jun 2013
jrp Administrator
09th Jun 2013
SheriB Silver Member
09th Jun 2013
mklass Platinum Member
08th Jun 2013
GTF
09th Jun 2013
Izzie Gold Member
09th Jun 2013
11th Jun 2013
cwils02 Gold Member
11th Jun 2013
Cavy2 Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
km6xz Moderator
11th Jun 2013
Scotty Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
24th Jun 2013
25th Jun 2013
greenwing Gold Member
29th Jun 2013
birdied Silver Member
06th Jul 2013

ChipsByAl Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2009Sat 08-Jun-13 04:33 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 0

harvey, US

Great job Darlene! Nikonians has improved my photography too.
Al

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 08-Jun-13 05:06 PM
34214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

We are very happy for you, Darlene.
And you make us proud.
Now let's start to work for 1st.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Sat 08-Jun-13 07:39 PM
1601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Congratulations Darlene!! I am sure now, maybe.. just maybe....YOU WILL EXPAND YOUR HORIZONS ON THIS SITE!! HAHA. I have tried to drag you out of the D90 forum multiple times but you just will not do it!...all during the month of May I was just waiting for you to post some images in the Monthly Challenge...Droplets...nope...no Darlene..never ventures out of the D90 forum.. ( you do realize I am only half joking here, and the other half is out of pure ..well..tough love..)
In all seriousness I truely envy that you had the gumption to walk into that gallery the first time and put yourself out there. Keep at it!

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Sun 09-Jun-13 03:18 AM
1402 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 09-Jun-13 03:32 AM by pasknucklehead

creekside, US

Thanks my friends for all the kind words, and Sheri, this may sound kind of backwards, but I didn't know there was any place else to venture out to but the d90 forum,,,,I'm heading over there now and check out that monthly challenge just for you, my dear friend...lol
tough love!!!! Just came back,,, Oh myyyyyyyyyyyyyy Sheri, no wonder I come scrambling back here, I just checked out the june challenge--BUGS---some of those photographs are AMAZING!!!!! I'm not quite in that league yet,,,but I could be if you were to buy me a 300 lens...you don't have to answer today, think on it. heheheh

Darlene

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sun 09-Jun-13 03:33 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 5

HIXSON, US

Excuse me????

Where the heck is the award winning photo???

Do we have to beg?

Please show me.

Charlie

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 09-Jun-13 03:53 AM
34214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 6

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Charlie,
I am with you on that

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Sun 09-Jun-13 10:34 AM
1601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Ok seriously you need to expand your horizons ..lol just start here..and read it all

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/

And this was the challenge you missed..

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=172&topic_id=9663&mesg_id=9663&page=

Sheri Becker

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 08-Jun-13 08:47 PM
5818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Congratulations, Darlene! Getting your first prize and that recognition is such a kick. You've worked hard to learn and deserve it.

Now you are an "Award Winning Photographer"! Really!

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

GTF Registered since 03rd Dec 2002Sun 09-Jun-13 11:31 AM
230 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 0

Mastic Beach, US

That's great. You've put so much time and effort into your photography and now you've been rewarded for your fine work.

Izzie Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2011Sun 09-Jun-13 01:27 PM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 0

Chesterfield, US

My warmest congratulations, Darlene...sometimes the hesitant bird gets the leftovers but hey! what you got was the fattest and most delicious than the rest who did not get any. Now -- off to work on getting the top prize!!!

Fly safe, drive safe and keep safe.
G'day and G'lock....
Izzie

GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS
My Nikonians Gallery

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Tue 11-Jun-13 02:09 AM
#11. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 10
Tue 11-Jun-13 02:17 AM by pasknucklehead

creekside, US

Okay,,,,here it is,,,my award winning photo. It was an 8x10 pic, in a 11x14 matted black frame...It looked really classy!!! even more so, now with the 2nd place ribbon attached to it...And did I take my camera that night,,,,of course not........!!!

Oh, and inside my envelope along with my money was the critique I didn't expect to find..It read:
"There's something about this. It is well presented. The color carries up and down: it's like an arrow pointing up. It has detail, the values all work well,, and you know where to look. This is one of a kind."

I've never read a judges critique before,,,I guess this is good, sounds like it to me....

Darlene

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Tue 11-Jun-13 03:07 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 11

HIXSON, US

Darlene,

Looks like a dophin balancing two balls on its nose. Ooops... One of the balls burst, or is that whiskers between the two balls???

Have you ever thought about a water droplet Rorschach test? Maybe like this?

Just sayin'. Yes, I know... you're never going to speak to me again.

Charlie

P.S. Seriously, you did deserve the award. Congratulations again!

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Cavy2 Silver Member Awarded for her continuing willingness to keep on learning and to share her knowledge with others in the Nikonians spirit Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2006Tue 11-Jun-13 03:17 AM
4193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 12

Newtown, US

Hi Darlene,
Congrats!! Wonderful shot. If it wasn't for the new format of the site I never would have come across your beautiful work. As Diane said, please branch out and let everyone enjoy your talents!

http://kathycavallaro.smugmug.com/

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 11-Jun-13 04:08 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 12-Jun-13 06:35 AM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

Congratulations Darlene!!
I am sitting an outdoor cafe in pouring rain posting from phone, but I had to write to say you were robbed! Your drop work has been some of the most interesting images I have seen in a long time. The added significance of your work was how you developed, experimented and problem-solved all on your own.
I do agree with Sheri that you need to venture out from the safe harbor of the D90 forum since some of the other forums talk about concepts would help solve problems or add techniques that would assist in your projects.
Again, Congratulations on the well deserved recognition of your fine work!
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Tue 11-Jun-13 04:42 PM
4816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

Nice one Darlene - you deserve it...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 24-Jun-13 01:21 AM
#16. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 15

creekside, US

Thanks again everyone for the nice pat on the back...I've been invited to attend the judges reviews and critiques of all the works that won a prize at the show...It's tomorrow night,,I am definitely going just to see what she says...It should prove to be enlightening...hope so anyway..Once again,,,thanks to you all...

Darlene

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Tue 25-Jun-13 05:28 PM
#17. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 16

creekside, US

wow, what a great review I got,,,she loved my work,,,said my frame had a bit too much "gingerbread" on it, but otherwise a good choice...Never heard that word used in describing a frame so I asked and she said the frame had lines going through it and it was a little distracting against the picture. I said,,,oh okay,,,couldn't quite think of anything else to say at that moment. I guess I was so focused on the picture, that I didn't pay attention to that little detail, even though it was simply a black frame . Oh well, something else to think about,,but the compliments sat well with me that's for sure....

Darlene

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Sat 29-Jun-13 08:27 PM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

Well done, Darlene. I'm so pleased to see your success!

Chris

birdied Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Sep 2009Sat 06-Jul-13 03:15 PM
534 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Needed to post this,,,,to share my good news"
In response to Reply # 18

Destrehan, US

Congratulations !!! Wonderful shot .

Birdie

Choices Matter

Visit

www.birdied.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252733 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.