nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252720
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 is still a great camera for me." Previous topic | Next topic
shipsdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2006Tue 04-Jun-13 04:07 PM
298 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 is still a great camera for me."
Tue 04-Jun-13 04:44 PM by shipsdrummer

Robert in New Orleans LA, US

The reason I say this is I just took it on a trip and it's convenient size paired with the 16-85mm DX VR lens makes a perfect walk around travel solution. I would love to go full frame when my finances allow it, but the D90 is still a better camera than I am a photographer and I've got much to learn from this model.

This was taken in May at a park in New Hampshire. The colors rendered are pretty accurate from a complex scene.

"Burn Slowly the Candle of Life"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 is still a great camera for me.
espeto68 Gold Member
04th Jun 2013
Floridian Silver Member
04th Jun 2013
shipsdrummer Silver Member
05th Jun 2013
HenkB Silver Member
05th Jun 2013
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography
05th Jun 2013
donfaulk Silver Member
06th Jun 2013
keefy
07th Jun 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
05th Jun 2013
micolhart Silver Member
10th Jun 2013
JBD90
22nd Jun 2013
I gronk
03rd Oct 2013
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
03rd Oct 2013
mguffin
19th Jul 2013
Craig Bennett
01st Aug 2013
Puddlepyrate2013 Moderator
05th Sep 2013
shipsdrummer Silver Member
07th Sep 2013

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Tue 04-Jun-13 05:01 PM
467 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 is still a great camera for me."
In response to Reply # 0

Oeiras, PT

Hi,

I have a D90 as well, and i'm so satisfied with it.
For sure "the D90 is still a better camera than I am a photographer".
My to go kit is the D90 + 16-85 + 35 1.8 + 70-300VR.
When the D7100 i was thinking in upgrade it, but i prefer to use my GF D300's.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, D70s(IR), F100, F80, F Photomic FTn

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Tue 04-Jun-13 09:55 PM
2759 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 is still a great camera for me."
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>... it's convenient size paired with the 16-85mm DX VR lens makes a
>perfect walk around travel solution. I would love to go full
>frame when my finances allow it...

Why do you want to go full frame? You just said your D90 is perfect (well, in one situation) and then you go on to say you want to give up what's perfect for something else.

A DX DSLR seems like the best format for many purposes, and in lots of cases the only "advantages" of full frame are that you get to carry around a bigger, heavier, and more expensive camera.

Nice photo!

Randy

shipsdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2006Wed 05-Jun-13 12:31 AM
298 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 is still a great camera for me."
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks. I figure this current kit is good for casual travel and tourist situations. I'd like FF eventually for a serious venture into landscape photography with a quality tripod when I have more time to commit.
Maybe when I'm retired??

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Wed 05-Jun-13 01:04 AM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D90 is still a great camera for me."
In response to Reply # 3

Wayland, US

If you get the tripod first, you might explore stitching panoramas together. You can get some serious megapixels in play from even the 12Mp D90.

Best,

Hendrik

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 05-Jun-13 09:43 PM
3361 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D90 is still a great camera for me."
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

The desire to upgrade can be a vicious cycle of adding features and expense but there is not that much difference between images made with my D90, D7000 and D800. Sure, with pixel peeping at 200% you can see more with 36mpx but a regular print, viewed at a normal viewing distance no one would say "hey, that must have been taken with a 5 year old D90 instead of the latest pro camera", because they will not see the difference.
There are some advantages in low light but the D90 at ISO200 is quite good, which is what you need for landscape.
I think the good tripod and a serious WA lens will take you further than a new body. If cost is not an issue, get them all but if you are on a budget like the rest of us, a gradual investment plan in upgrading the lenses which can be an asset for any camera you have in the future and the D90 now.
The D7100 does have a superior AF system though, a big improvement for birders and sports shooters over all other DX cameras including the D300s. You will likely shoot MF for landscapes so the newest version of the MultiCam 3500 is overkill.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

donfaulk Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Aug 2009Thu 06-Jun-13 12:26 AM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D90 is still a great camera for me."
In response to Reply # 3

Madison, US

Hi, Robert...

Your comment about retirement struck a nerve. Several years before I retired (quite a while ago), I prepared for my retirement by obtaining a copy (on 8" disks) of IBM's programming language PL-I that could run under the then popular CP/M operating system. I wanted to spend my first years of retirement learning the PL-I language which was supposed to be the end-all language that would do everything all the others would do whether for business, scientific (mathematical) applications, or whatever.

By the time I retired a few years later, PL-I had already bitten the dust. Eight-inch disks were no longer being used. And the CP/M disk operating system had become a thing of the past - replaced by MS/DOS.

As rapidly as technology is changing, unless your retirement is imminent, my advice would be to squirrel away $$$ to be used for whatever is current at that time... and to buy only that for which you have a present need.

Incidentally, I like my D90 (bought when it first came out) so much that I am having a tough time resisting the purchase of a second one at the current price.

Don F.

keefy Registered since 23rd May 2013Fri 07-Jun-13 07:44 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D90 is still a great camera for me."
In response to Reply # 7

UK

Wow - that's some retirement!
CP/M was still around when I bought my first computer a 'Video Genie', so it was probably around the time you retired. It was a clone of the Tandy TRS80 (which I couldn't afford) with the advantage of a built in cassette deck as storage. Oh, the luxury of a built in cassette deck!!
I soon upgraded to 5&1/4" floppies which cost a fortune and held around 300Kb. After 3-4 years it was virtually a useless heap of junk as the IBM's, Apples and a raft of good home computers arrived.

I'm currently looking to upgrade, maybe to a D600, but even if it eventually becomes obsolete, at least I'll still have the photo's !

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Wed 05-Jun-13 10:18 PM
435 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D90 is still a great camera for me."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 06-Jun-13 11:28 AM by DaveSoderlund

Geneva, US

I recently "upgraded" to a D7100, making my D90 the backup body for both me and my wife (who also shoots a D90). This past weekend I had the chance to do some on-the-water competitive sailing photography during a local Thistle class regatta. Instead of risking my new D7100, I took the D90 (with the 70-300 VR attached) in a dry bag. There was plenty of light, and the D90 returned some really excellent shots. Here's one of my favorites:

Technical details: ISO 400, 122 mm focal length, f/13, 1/320 sec.

Not much post-processing here: straightened, cropped slightly, then some color correction and contrast (all in Aperture) to try to minimize the dullness of the gray day a bit, then exported as a JPEG.

I agree -- the D90 is still a great camera. The 70-300 VR is not too shabby, either, as long as you have enough light.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

micolhart Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Mon 10-Jun-13 11:50 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D90 is still a great camera for me."
In response to Reply # 0

Gilford, US

Portsmout??
I also have a D90. I would like to get a full frame camera. Key word; like. Not need.
Nice photo.

Mike

SEMPER FI
Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue
Marine Corp Monument, Washington,DC

JBD90 Registered since 24th Nov 2011Sat 22-Jun-13 12:00 AM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D90 is still a great camera for me."
In response to Reply # 9

US

I have a D90. Not knowing butkis, I ordered the body online when It was offered for not much more than the D3200 outfit I had a rain check for at a big box store. Found out later that it was scheduled to be discontinued at the time I bought it. I have been more than happy with it as I have had a great time scooping up great film AF film lenses and mounting them on the D90. I visited another Box store last week and gave the D7100 a hard look. The controls are not in the same place. Ah shucks, I can't deal with that. I think I will shoot the D90 till it can no longer hold it's battery in and it's mirror falls out. JB

I gronk Registered since 31st Aug 2013Thu 03-Oct-13 09:35 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D90 is still a great camera for me."
In response to Reply # 10

US

Boy your last sentence rings a bell. My first serious camera was a Pentax ES ll I wore that baby out, and up until I got my D90 I was looking at buying a used one so I could get the battery cover for mine.

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Thu 03-Oct-13 11:00 PM
1340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D90 is still a great camera for me."
In response to Reply # 15

Toronto, CA

A couple of question as to "why do you want to go FF" -- I have a D90, and I would love to go FF.

About 1/2 of my photos are for our Church and during Church Services I never use flash. This means running ISO 1000 to ISO 1600 (or even 3200), and the D90 just is not really happy at those ISO's.

Otherwise I love the D90.

Given I am about to retire, I may end up compromising on a 7100 or a 400 if one should appear -- mostly due to the cost of good lenses for the D600 or D800.

Just wanted to note that there can be reasons to want FF!

----
Dennis Smith.

mguffin Registered since 25th Nov 2011Fri 19-Jul-13 03:31 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D90 is still a great camera for me."
In response to Reply # 0

US

I kind of went the other way, had a D7000 and upgraded to a D700, but found that I was never grabbing my DSLR, rather, the compacts all the time. Wanted to simplify my kit, and went for the D90 so I will be more likely to use it. We will see...

Mike

D610 ~ Fuji X-E1 ~ Ricoh GR

Craig Bennett Registered since 29th Oct 2012Thu 01-Aug-13 06:34 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D90 is still a great camera for me."
In response to Reply # 0

Rio Rancho, US

>The reason I say this is I just took it on a trip and it's
>convenient size paired with the 16-85mm DX VR lens makes a
>perfect walk around travel solution. I would love to go full
>frame when my finances allow it, but the D90 is still a better
>camera than I am a photographer and I've got much to learn
>from this model.

The D90 is a fine camera, my wife uses it every weekend as my 2nd shooter at weddings. I prefer my D800e's for clarity, resolution, and color though. I do have both profiled and we shoot in RAW, so when I import them into Lightroom, I can get them to match well. Were the D90 comes up short is in shadow and highlight recovery (the D800 has a great DR) and in resolution for cropping in on a subject.

When we go out to shoot for fun, you can really tell the difference in landscape photographs between the two cameras.

I used to shoot with D1x and D2x. The D90 is every bit as good if not better than the D2x and that was a workhorse of a camera.

For an all around walk around lens for the D90, I like the 18-200mm VRII.

Problem with moving from DX to FF is not only the cost of the camera body, but the lenses that go with it. The plus is you can still use your DX lenses, but the camera will be in DX crop mode.

BTW, very nice image there!

Regards,
Craig

Puddlepyrate2013 Moderator Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2013Thu 05-Sep-13 08:48 PM
196 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D90 is still a great camera for me."
In response to Reply # 0

Portsmouth, US

Hi Ships drummer, I live in Portsmouth NH, and love visiting Prescott Park. I have a d7000 and the d90, I love them both. The d90 is the perfect size and weight for my play camera. I have had it for three years now and it has 3654 activations still a baby. If you are happy with it, then my advice to you would be to invest your money in excellent lens'. Great lens' can improve your images better than always upgrading your camera with each new release.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to Portsmouth, message me next time your in town and maybe we can meet up, set a play date for our d90's.

Bob

shipsdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2006Sat 07-Sep-13 05:37 AM
#14. "RE: D90 is still a great camera for me."
In response to Reply # 13

Sounds like a nice idea, thanks for the invitation. It may be a while before I get back up there. I really like Portsmouth and find that it has a lot of opportunities for my travel-photography interests. Will contact you when I can.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252720 Previous topic | Next topic