Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252712
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 shooting speed..." Previous topic | Next topic
ClickChick83 Registered since 01st Jun 2013Sat 01-Jun-13 05:08 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 shooting speed..."

US

Hi,I'm new to Nikonians and am grateful to have "shooters" in my life now who might be able to help me solve a problem that has me coo-coo. My D90 will not fire more than one shot at a time no matter what adjustments I make. And even at that, there is a second beat between them and each has to be fired manually. No automatic firing even with the setting on 3 or 4.

Thinking it might be my chip, I bought a RAW steel 16 gb that made no difference. What settings should I be looking at to see if I've done something that cancels this out? And is there a "default" setting I can return to? When I bought it, the continuous firing was fine.

I admit to being almost totally flumaxed by the computer I am now using as my camera. I came out of film shooting, always Nikon and always manual. I love the results I'm getting with digital, but how I'm getting them is still a mystery to me. Help! And thanks...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 shooting speed...
aolander Silver Member
01st Jun 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
01st Jun 2013
aolander Silver Member
01st Jun 2013
ClickChick83
04th Jun 2013
MEMcD Moderator
01st Jun 2013
tamphlett
03rd Jun 2013

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 01-Jun-13 08:26 PM
3242 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 shooting speed..."
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Do you have "Exposure Delay" activated?

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 01-Jun-13 09:26 PM
1236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 shooting speed..."
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

I agree with Alan -- it "feels" like Exposure Delay.

I like the CONCEPT of Exposure Delay, but in practice its mostly a nuisance. When I am on a tripod, I usually just set the timer, that gives lots of time for things to settle.

----
Dennis Smith.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 01-Jun-13 09:48 PM
3242 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D90 shooting speed..."
In response to Reply # 3

Nevis, US

The timer does give the camera time to settle down from pressing the shutter release if you're not using a remote, but it does not do anything about mirror vibrations. Exposure Delay raises the mirror first, delays the exposure, then releases the shutter. A "poor man's" mirror up.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ClickChick83 Registered since 01st Jun 2013Tue 04-Jun-13 07:16 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D90 shooting speed..."
In response to Reply # 1

US

No, Alan, I don't have Exposure Delay on. Thanks for responding though.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 01-Jun-13 09:04 PM
25983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 shooting speed..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Kate,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Verify that you have the Release mode set to Continuous High Speed by pressing the mode button on top of the camera then rotating the Command Dial until the icon with the H is displayed in the top LCD.

Make sure that the built-in Speedlight is Off and Down.

Is the shutter speed set to 1/250th sec. or faster?

Best Regards,
Marty

tamphlett Registered since 03rd Apr 2013Mon 03-Jun-13 01:06 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D90 shooting speed..."
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Hi Kate,

I'd recommend to make sure you have ruled out all potential mode issues that you reset the camera to its default settings. To do this either go through the menus or press and hold the buttons marked with green dots next to the top LCD display.

Then just set the shooting mode to H and you should be good to go.

My Nikonians Gallery

Tim Amphlett
Lancs, UK

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252712 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.