Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252666
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 shuts down" Previous topic | Next topic
Photog1 Registered since 17th Feb 2013Fri 26-Apr-13 09:47 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 shuts down"

Morristown, US

This is a curious problem so I want to give as many details as possible; bear with me.

Situation: photo-shoot with several models
Equipment:
D90
Tamron 18-270 zoom
Promaster 7500EDF flash
Flash bracket
brand X TTL flash cord connected to hot shoe
brand X battery grip
two well charged batteries

SYMPTOMS:
D90 "dies" for no apparent reason. I flip power switch off/on; it works ok for a few shots, or 1, then dies again. The LED goes blank...no error messages. Nothing works.

When I downloaded files, I find that multiple folders have been created on the SD card. Most of the folders have just a few images. But, the interesting thing about this is that the same IMAGE NUMBER appeared in more than one folder and the images were different!

This was last week. Today, I took my granddaughters to the park and was doing some shooting. This time, only the D90 and the Tamron lens...no attachments. NOW, I am getting ERR message that does not go away when I turn it off; but did go away when I removed/re-inserted battery. At other times, I was getting a flashing "CHG" message.

SO, WHAT GIVES!?

Ron
East Tennessee

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 shuts down
quenton8 Silver Member
26th Apr 2013
MEMcD Moderator
26th Apr 2013
Photog1
27th Apr 2013
MEMcD Moderator
27th Apr 2013
Photog1
27th Apr 2013

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Fri 26-Apr-13 10:57 PM
1236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 shuts down"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 26-Apr-13 10:59 PM by quenton8

Toronto, CA

Well -- I assume the battery is fully charged? or close to it?

A few things to try ...

• take the lens on and off a few times to clean up the contacts
  • try a different SD card? and/or clean the SD card's contacts (try an eraser)
  • same with the battery, remove and re-insert a few times, clean the battery's contacts

I had this kind of problem for a while with my D90 until I worked at the lens-to-camera mount, twisting the lens on and off a bit to clean things up, and for the last 2 years have had no problems.

If after all that the same problems occur, I would take it to your dealer if you have one with some knowledge, otherwise to a Nikon repair center, and let them clean some things you may not have easy access to.

----
Dennis Smith.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 26-Apr-13 11:05 PM
25943 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 shuts down"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Ron,

Sorry to hear of your problems.

>SYMPTOMS:
>D90 "dies" for no apparent reason. I flip power
>switch off/on; it works ok for a few shots, or 1, then dies
>again. The LED goes blank...no error messages. Nothing
>works.
>
>When I downloaded files, I find that multiple folders have
>been created on the SD card. Most of the folders have just a
>few images. But, the interesting thing about this is that the
>same IMAGE NUMBER appeared in more than one folder and the
>images were different!

I would suspect a problem with the electrical connection somewhere between the battery and the camera. It could be:
1. Poor contact or oxidized contacts on the batteries and or the electrical contacts in the grip.
2. Poor contact or oxidized electrical contacts between the Grip and the Camera.
3. An intermittent short in the battery grip or less likely the camera.

If the camera looses power, the file folder and image number are being reset each time you power up the camera. This could be due to the settings you have in the camera or a short or voltage spike.

Clean the battery terminals on both batteries, and all of the electrical contacts in the grip and on the camera. I would also test the grip with a volt meter to make sure that there isn't an internal short. Use DeOxit and a few Q-tips. Let it dry before inserting the battery.

>This was last week. Today, I took my granddaughters to the
>park and was doing some shooting. This time, only the D90 and
>the Tamron lens...no attachments. NOW, I am getting ERR
>message that does not go away when I turn it off; but did go
>away when I removed/re-inserted battery. At other times, I
>was getting a flashing "CHG" message.

Again for some reason the camera is loosing power.
Cleaning the electrical contacts on the battery and in the camera body using DeOxit might solve the problem.

The "CHA" error indicates that the SD card is locked (write protected)

Check the card and verify that it is not locked.
After downloading all of the images on the card to your computer, I would Format the card in the camera.
You might want to try using DeOxit on the electrical contacts on the SD card as well.

I

Best Regards,
Marty

Photog1 Registered since 17th Feb 2013Sat 27-Apr-13 11:29 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 shuts down"
In response to Reply # 2

Morristown, US

Thanks, Dennis and Marty. I felt it was electrical as well. I'll follow your advice and report back. One more question, is it possible that a battery could be defective?

Ron
East Tennessee

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 27-Apr-13 04:03 PM
25943 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D90 shuts down"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Ron,

While anything is possible it is unlikely.
I am not sure how your third party grip is wired but since you had the problem with two batteries in the grip the power should not have shut down.

Are you using Nikon EN-EL3e batteries or Aftermarket batteries?

Did you check the battery status using "Battery Info" in the camera menu?
It should provide: % Charge, # of Pics, and Battery Life 0 - 4.

Best Regards,
Marty

Photog1 Registered since 17th Feb 2013Sat 27-Apr-13 09:18 PM
#5. "RE: D90 shuts down"
In response to Reply # 4

Morristown, US

Marty, I have both Nikon and aftermarket batteries. One Nikon battery quit taking a charge (only 2 years old) so I took it out of "rotation." Yes, I regularly use the battery status check.

I've been using the D90 a lot today, without the grip. I've had no problems at all so far. Thanks for the input!

Ron
East Tennessee

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252666 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.