nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252640
View in linear mode

Subject: "Possibly Upgrading to D90 or D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
rheb1026 Registered since 19th Apr 2013Mon 22-Apr-13 01:21 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Possibly Upgrading to D90 or D7000"

Metro West Boston, US

I've been using my current D3100 for about a year and a half and I am beginning to feel a bit limited with it. I was looking for a camera with better high ISO performance, an in body focusing system, a more durable body (not that I've had any problems), and especially more external buttons! If it can meter some of my old film manual focus lenses (AI-S) that would be a plus as well! I tend to dabble in all different areas, but have been doing a lot of night photography lately. I also really like the U1 and U2 options on the 7000

I don't tend to use the continuous shutter mode at all, so the fps rate is pretty low on the priorities. I've also never felt limited by the 11 point AF on the 3100... but maybe more is better?

At this point I'm looking to spend less than $1k, but may save up a little longer if the D7100 is THAT much better. So is the D90 worth buying over the D7000 at this point given my needs? Any advice is welcome

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Possibly Upgrading to D90 or D7000
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
22nd Apr 2013
rheb1026
22nd Apr 2013
24th Apr 2013
HenkB Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
toko
24th Apr 2013
meat
25th Apr 2013
rheb1026
25th Apr 2013
25th Apr 2013
HenkB Silver Member
25th Apr 2013
jbw5016 Silver Member
15th Jun 2013
vitalishe Silver Member
25th Jul 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 22-Apr-13 03:00 AM
27047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Possibly Upgrading to D90 or D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Reed,

The D90 is older than your D3100 and has only slightly better high ISO performance. While it has an AF motor built into the camera body it does not support metering with MF (AI) lenses that do not have CPU chips.
Both the D7000 and D7100 have better high ISO performance than the D90 and they support metering with MF (AI) lenses.

I would get the D7000 or D7100 over a D90.

Best Regards,
Marty

rheb1026 Registered since 19th Apr 2013Mon 22-Apr-13 09:28 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Possibly Upgrading to D90 or D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Metro West Boston, US

Thanks for the info Marty. I've read reviews on both over at dpreview, but they give a ton of information. Some of which I don't completely understand, so it's a bit daunting for me to judge

Do you think the 7100 is worth $500 more than the 7000? It seems that a refurb 7000 is about $750 at the big retailers compared to $1200 for the 7100

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 24-Apr-13 01:32 AM
27047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Possibly Upgrading to D90 or D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Reed,

Value or Worth is in the eye of the beholder.

The D7100 was just released therefore in is the current state of the art. In addition to more resolution, the D7100 has slightly better high ISO performance and color bit depth than the D7000. It also has better and more sensitive AF module.
The D7000 is more than likely no longer in production though it has slightly better Dynamic Range than the D7000.

Best Regards,
Marty

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Tue 23-Apr-13 06:10 PM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Possibly Upgrading to D90 or D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Wayland, US

You seem to want to change for some very valid reasons. While, if high-iso performance were the sole determinant, I would buy the 7100 after waiting for the dust to settle, I think there's a little more to the question. The 7k is most like your 3100 in pixel density so, presumably, you already know how to shoot a 15Mp camera. The 24Mp sensor in the 7100 may take some getting used to, especially if you gravitate toward large prints. The necessity for first-class lenses, reasonable shutter speeds, larger apertures and reliable camera support increases with pixel density.

I can't speak to the D90/7000 question directly. I can say that, having acquired a D600, my D90, which I shot enthusiastically for four years, hardly comes out of the bag. The new technology is just that good. I have not yet decided but I am considering a move to the D7100 for a DX complement to the D600.

In defense of the D90, I don't feel it presents much of a problem metering with a manual lens. For instance, I have a wonderful OM-system lens adapted for F-mount. There is zero communication. But the green focus confirmation dot works and exposure is easy enough to determine after the fact with the histograms and highlights display (blinkies). Just so with several other Nikkor manual lenses. The fact you don't concern yourself with frame rate suggests your usual subjects are not so very dynamic as to demand immediate metering.

That said, buying a D90 rather than a D7000 seems to me to be locking in a heftier set of restrictions on your shooting. The analogy of willfully restricting oneself to the right lane for a long trip on a three lane interstate comes to mind. Or, more locally, shall we say, the middle lane of the Mass Pike.

Best,

Hendrik

toko Registered since 04th May 2009Wed 24-Apr-13 08:11 AM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Possibly Upgrading to D90 or D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Mölnlycke, SE

I bought the d7000 instead of d90 primary because it is possible to fine tune auto focus (AF) with this. The 100 % view finder accuracy is also an advantage for the d7000

meat Registered since 17th Feb 2012Thu 25-Apr-13 04:16 AM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Possibly Upgrading to D90 or D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I think a D7000 would be a good compromise between the D90 and the D7000.

rheb1026 Registered since 19th Apr 2013Thu 25-Apr-13 04:17 AM
#7. "RE: Possibly Upgrading to D90 or D7000"
In response to Reply # 6

Metro West Boston, US

Thank you all for the replies. I actually went a purchased a refurbished D7000 yesterday from Adorama

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 25-Apr-13 04:25 AM
#8. "RE: Possibly Upgrading to D90 or D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Reed,

Congratulations on your new D7000.
Enjoy!

Best Regards,
Marty

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Thu 25-Apr-13 07:51 PM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Possibly Upgrading to D90 or D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

Wayland, US

Happy shooting with your new D7k. Congrats.

Best,

Hendrik

jbw5016 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2013Sat 15-Jun-13 01:25 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Possibly Upgrading to D90 or D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Guess I'm late to the party on this one... but you bought the camera I was going to suggest.

I'm still new to the DSLR environment however, when I got my D90 I was told to do what I could to purchase a D7000. Between the $400 higher price and my ancy-ness when it comes to buying things I pulled the trigger on the D90.

With that said I thoroughly believe I still have a lot to learn to from my D90 but the biggest detriment to it as a camera is it's age. Technology has improved a lot in the past few years so the 7000 is most likely the way to go.

Enjoy!

vitalishe Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2012Thu 25-Jul-13 05:32 PM
314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Possibly Upgrading to D90 or D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

Los Alamos, US

It seams I am late with my suggestion as well, but maybe it will be of use to somebody else having the same question.
D90 is a great camera with good ISO performance and D7000 had slightly better ISO performance. D90 can be purchased for a very low price now. My D90 with 30K clicks with Nikon battery grip went for just over $400 I have seen deals for D7000 going around $750 with a kit lens. So the choice depends on the money available.
If night photography is what the camera will be judged on, another choice is a used D700. It is a full frame and ISO performance on it is just insane! It broke my fear of ISO above 800 and I am regularly sorting up to 6400 ISO. If you are willing to wait for a deal, you may get D700 under $1200.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252640 Previous topic | Next topic