Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252579
View in linear mode

Subject: "question about enlarging" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Sun 24-Mar-13 01:13 AM
1409 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"question about enlarging"

US

Hi everyone, I did this amazing waterdrop the other day, I just have to share it, but first I need to ask a question.
Okay, my work flow is this: I upload my picture into pse 10. I do all my edits in there because I'm too lazy to learn another program..
I also crop my photo to a 8x10 because that is the size I am going to send in for my print through mpix and this way I am assured of getting exactly my 8x10 without being chopped off at one end or the other. What is the best way for me to do this part, I know that if I leave this print at an 8x10 and save it in my folders, I can't then go up to an 11x14 of this same edited print if I choose to do so later. But I need to have this 8x10 for right now...I'm not sure which way to go with this. I don't want mpix cropping a 11x14 saved finished edit down to a 8x10 because I know that's not going to be what I want, yet I don't want to be saddled with just an 8x10 if I so choose to want a larger size later. But I don't want to do that edits all over again...Are you seeing where I"m coming from? What's my best option..Okay, feast your eyes on this baby....I used my star filter just to try something a little different and I also used a red filter on my flash...I'm tickled pink..check it out....

Darlene

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: question about enlarging
gpoole Platinum Member
24th Mar 2013
pasknucklehead Silver Member
24th Mar 2013
Scotty Silver Member
27th Mar 2013
cardererel
27th Mar 2013
zoodale Silver Member
28th Mar 2013
pasknucklehead Silver Member
30th Mar 2013

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Sun 24-Mar-13 01:39 AM
3695 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: question about enlarging"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

Keep 3 files: your original, an edited file without any crop or resizing, and another edited file with the 8x10 crop.

I agree, I like your picture too. I don't like the the ripples being cropped off on both the left and right sides though. I also think it would work better in a landscape orientation instead of a portrait orientation. Unfortunately I suspect solving these problems would require recreating the shot, probably not an easy task.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Sun 24-Mar-13 07:31 PM
1409 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: question about enlarging"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hey, thanks for the quick response, always welcome critiques. I hadn't thought of doing this one in landscape because the heart drop was my main focus point. And you're absolutely right, there is no recreating to be done, it's a one time shot, just like my "foot" shot. I had been keeping an original file, one edited without cropped and one 8x10, but was hoping for an easier route..Thanks again for the critique...I will however take another look at the orginal and see if I myself possibly might like it in landscape....

Darlene

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Wed 27-Mar-13 12:13 AM
4832 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: question about enlarging"
In response to Reply # 2

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

If you shoot in RAW then you always have the original file to do with as you please...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cardererel Registered since 17th Mar 2013Wed 27-Mar-13 12:48 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: question about enlarging"
In response to Reply # 1

US

This is by far the best advice. I usually open the original and do a save as then do the edits. From there I can size as needed. You can always reduce but never enlarge...

>Keep 3 files: your original, an edited file without any crop
>or resizing, and another edited file with the 8x10 crop.
>
>I agree, I like your picture too. I don't like the the
>ripples being cropped off on both the left and right sides
>though. I also think it would work better in a landscape
>orientation instead of a portrait orientation. Unfortunately
>I suspect solving these problems would require recreating the
>shot, probably not an easy task.
>

zoodale Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2006Thu 28-Mar-13 10:21 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: question about enlarging"
In response to Reply # 4

Houston, US

I agree with Alex: Shoot in RAW. The RAW is your 'negative' or source from which all other images will be derived. Editing a RAW in PSE10 and saving the result as a TIFF or JPEG does nothing to the original RAW image; it's just as it came from the camera and ready for any further editing.

regards,

dale

dale

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Sat 30-Mar-13 11:30 PM
#6. "RE: question about enlarging"
In response to Reply # 5

US

THEN RAW IT IS!!!! My keepers are growing more and more, less and less ones to toss out, so starting to shoot my waterdrops in Raw does make perfect sense...thanks once again friends...

Darlene

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252579 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.