Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252560
View in linear mode

Subject: "D80 third party flash options??" Previous topic | Next topic
walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Thu 21-Mar-13 05:36 PM
651 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D80 third party flash options??"
Thu 21-Mar-13 05:37 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

A friend of mine has a D80 and is wondering what third party flash options are available for it. I have the D800 and an SB-600 and have had the SB-600 for years ...and never though much about other options. I believe that the D80 has CLS and can serve as commander via the pop-up ....so what does my friend lose if he goes to say a Vivitar or other 3rd party unit as opposed to the SB-700, 800, or 910??

Dan

"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the frame....so just SHOOT."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 22-Mar-13 01:39 AM
24996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D80 third party flash options??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Dan,

There are quite a few third party Speedlights available in the market.
Most brands have several models, each with its own feature set and price point.
As a general rule you get what you pay for.
The price leading entry level units usually relatively low power and are limited to on camera use. Some of the higher end models include wireless capability though not all of them are fully compatible with CLS Wireless flash control.

Metz builds a good Speedlight but they are priced close to the Nikon units.

Some here have been happy with some of the Sigma Speedlights and others the Nissin Speedlights. Again some models work better than others. Even of the same brand.

The primary advantage of the Nikon Speedlights is they are fully compatible with All Nikon DSLR's and with the exception of the SB-400 they are fully compatible with each other via CLS Wireless flash control.

Best Regards,
Marty

archer4219 Registered since 02nd Jan 2013Tue 26-Mar-13 05:16 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D80 third party flash options??"
In response to Reply # 0

Surrey, CA

The D80 has CLS and has commander mode via the popup. I have the SB-600 and bought the Metz 50af-1 which performs like an SB-600 because I was looking for a cheaper option with more GN.

Hope this helps.
Ariel

JAH Photo Registered since 28th Feb 2013Wed 27-Mar-13 08:20 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D80 third party flash options??"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 27-Mar-13 08:20 PM by JAH Photo

Colorado Springs, US

I shoot the D90 and I use the Yongnuo YN 468 II which offers ittl as well as slave mode with the D90's (and it sounds like the d80's pop up flash). I have also used the YN 560 and 560 II's (purely manual flash) quite a bit and have had great luck with them. If your friend doesn't feel like breaking the bank but wants to get a decent strobe I would recommend taking a look at those models.

JBD90 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2011Thu 25-Apr-13 08:55 PM
162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D80 third party flash options??"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I started on a shoe string and bought a Nissin Di866. It has Ittl and slave settings. It works well with my D90. The only thing I can't do with it is use it with my manual lenses. Not a problem as film era Nikon compatible flashes are real cheap on eBay. JB

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252560 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.