nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
mikerophone

Bethlehem, US
39 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mikerophone Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Apr 2006
Thu 21-Mar-13 02:08 PM

Greetings, Nikonians.

I currently shoot a Nikon D7000 (a fabulous camera) and have owned and sold the D200 and D70 in the past, both of which I enjoyed using a lot.

Lately, I've had the itch to get a low-budget backup for times when I don't want to expose the D7000 to harsh environs or risky outings and to have in the bag when covering an event, "just in case." I have several compacts that have been doing this duty, but I'm looking for more control and flexibility.I also have an old Fuji S1Pro (which still makes nice images), but it's big, loud, slow, can't use AF-S lenses nor i-TTL flash.

I was thinking a D70 with a 35 f1.8 or 50 f1.8 (or perhaps an 18-70 3.5-4.5). They're light and relatively compact and it would be nice to be working with smaller files for a change, since most of my stuff never gets printed bigger than 8x10. For personal shooting, I shoot cityscapes, interior still-life, pets, nature, family events and contemplative stuff.

I have fond memories of my D70 (and nice images), and I like that it can fire off-camera flashes. D70 bodies can be had from KEH for under $150, with battery and charger.

Is the D70 still relevant, or should I set my sights higher for a backup? Again, my D7000 is my "heavy hitter." This would be either backup or take anywhere camera. I'm also considering an Olympus E-PL1.

Opinions welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D70 as valid backup?