nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252547
View in linear mode

Subject: "LCD screen black with horizontal lines" Previous topic | Next topic
mamajaia   US  Registered since 15th Mar 2013 Fri 15-Mar-13 07:07 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LCD screen black with horizontal lines"

Hi,
This is my first post and I'm quite the amateur photographer but my beloved D90 (4 years old) started freezing when I tried to shoot...I think I fixed that problem but soon after the LCD display went blank, or rather black with white horizontal lines. It still takes pictures fine, and video as well, but since i can't see what I'm videoing I have soem precious memories of my sweet babies' Christmas programs where everyone's heads are cut-off. Not pleased.

I called Nikon and the very kind rep (dripping sarcasm) told me to send it in without any attempt to explain or diagnose. I tried the local camera shop and they mentioned connectors (which I tried to clean myself - nothing) and said they would charge me $250.

anyone know a fix or do I just send it in? Thank you!!

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: LCD screen black with horizontal lines aolander Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: LCD screen black with horizontal lines OnTERRYo Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: LCD screen black with horizontal lines HenkB Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: LCD screen black with horizontal lines MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
15th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: LCD screen black with horizontal lines mamajaia
19th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: LCD screen black with horizontal lines suzyk Silver Member
26th Mar 2013

aolander Silver Member  Nevis, US  Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006 Fri 15-Mar-13 01:36 PM
3452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LCD screen black with horizontal lines"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 15-Mar-13 01:37 PM by aolander

With symptoms like you're describing, I would send it in. I don't think it is user fixable.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

OnTERRYo Silver Member  Hamilton, CA  Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011 Fri 15-Mar-13 02:10 PM
533 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LCD screen black with horizontal lines"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 15-Mar-13 02:11 PM by OnTERRYo

Hi Jen.

First, welcome to Nikonians.
Second, sorry you are having difficulty with your D90.
I have one also but not as old as yours.
I bought mine new - did you?
If not, then yes, the chances are better that it could need repair.
If bought new, could it be the battery?
I've heard some strange goings-on when the battery is low.
It would be sad to send it in, pay that price, to find
out it was just the battery needing a charge or replacement.

Almost always: do the simple things first.

Hope this helps.
Terry.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

HenkB Silver Member  Wayland, US  Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004 Fri 15-Mar-13 04:11 PM
546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LCD screen black with horizontal lines"
In response to Reply # 0

Welcome to Nikonians.

This same thing happened to my D90 within months of buying it new. Video is one problem, but the larger problem is not having access to the menus. In any case, I sent mine in to Nikon and received it back just in time to take it abroad on vacation. That was three years ago and the fix, whatever it was, has held and the D90 continues in service and trouble-free. I vote send it in to Nikon.

Your local repair shop is speaking of problems with internal connectors which, however likely, may or may not be the case. In a bit of searching I did not come up with many cases of screen failure so it's not clear that this is a typical enough problem for a non-Nikon repair to be certain of the problem. As to fixing it yourself, just for your own info and perhaps some giggles watch this.

Best,

Hendrik

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Fri 15-Mar-13 09:21 PM
27593 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: LCD screen black with horizontal lines"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Jen,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
I would send the camera to APS in Morton Grove, IL. 1(847) 996-4019 They are a Nikon Authorized Service Station and are usually cheaper and faster than Nikon Service. They will give you an estimate and wait for you to approve it before proceeding with the repair.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

mamajaia   US  Registered since 15th Mar 2013 Tue 19-Mar-13 07:14 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: LCD screen black with horizontal lines"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks, all. It was purchased new, and I don't see a brand-new anything in our near future so I think I'll send it in. Appreciate your input!

suzyk Silver Member  near Hobart, AU  Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011 Tue 26-Mar-13 07:46 AM
1563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: LCD screen black with horizontal lines"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey Jen,

A warm welcome to Nikonians.

Good luck with the repair of your D90. If it is going to cost too much, you may be able to get a cheaper used D90. Just a thought. Let us know how you go.

Cheers,
Suzy

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252547 Previous topic | Next topic