Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252528
View in linear mode

Subject: "acid-etched glass?" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Wed 06-Mar-13 05:57 PM
1372 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"acid-etched glass?"

creekside, US

Hi friends,

I was looking over a waterdrop tutorial, and the instructor was talking about placing his flashes behind some acid-etched glass to make the lighting softer...What the heck is that?? I know when you guys tell me, I'm going to slap myself on the forehead,,,and go duh......but I honestly don't know what that is...If he would have just said something to diffuse the light, I could understand......help

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: acid-etched glass?
Rob_ZN Gold Member
06th Mar 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
pasknucklehead Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
Rob_ZN Gold Member
06th Mar 2013
pasknucklehead Silver Member
07th Mar 2013

Rob_ZN Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Dec 2012Wed 06-Mar-13 06:31 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: acid-etched glass?"
In response to Reply # 0

Durban, ZA

It's basically just a some glass that has that matt, opaque finish, rather than being just plain glass, ie. frosted glass.

It's another alternative to use to diffuse the light. I suspect you could get similar results using some tracing paper.

Hope that helps

Rob

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 06-Mar-13 06:39 PM
601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: acid-etched glass?"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 06-Mar-13 06:45 PM by jec6613

Norwalk, US

For small pop-up flashes, you can even use an old film canister.

Anyway, what's at play here is a flash diffuser - throw that into your favorite search engine and come up with dozens of results.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Wed 06-Mar-13 07:03 PM
1372 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: acid-etched glass?"
In response to Reply # 2

creekside, US

So now I have a HEADACHE! told you I'd be slapping myself on the forehead...So I would imagine even a piece of frosted plexi-glass or a piece of ceiling plexi 4x8 sheet would do,....now that was easy....
thanks friends...

Darlene

Rob_ZN Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Dec 2012Wed 06-Mar-13 07:49 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: acid-etched glass?"
In response to Reply # 3

Durban, ZA

Should work.

Whatever you use, I'm sure you'll enjoy putting the tutorial into practise. I tried some water drop shots a couple of days ago. 2 litres of water (makes quite a mess) and over 1000 shots later and I think I have 12 images that look pretty decent

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Thu 07-Mar-13 01:14 AM
#5. "RE: acid-etched glass?"
In response to Reply # 4

creekside, US

Yes Rob, I should do know what you mean...but as you keep working and perfecting it, you'll start to keep more than you throw away....practice makes perfect!!!!!!

Darlene

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252528 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.