Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252490
View in linear mode

Subject: "rotating pictures" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Fri 22-Feb-13 02:23 AM
1408 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"rotating pictures"

US

Hi guys, I don't know if I asked this before or not, and if I did, I'm sorry, cause I can't remember the answer.

Here goes.
I have, on my d90, auto image rotation turned on. Does that not mean when I am viewing them on my computer that all the photos I took vertically not automatically turned the correct way so I don't have to go up to my top menu bar and manually rotate everyone of them so I can view them correctly?
I know when I took a short little course a couple of months ago at our local newspaper where I work, we had to hand over to the instructor the memory card from the camera of the photos we just took. He then put them in the laptop and proceeded to show our pictures on a tv screen. Of course, there were all of my vertical shots sideways. He looked at me and said " you didn't set the auto rotate to on did you?". I just said, sorry, I thought I did. And when I left class, I looked at my menu in the camera and sure enough it is set to on..So, is that not the way it is supposed to work? Tired of tilting my head sideways to view my photos...

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: rotating pictures
JosephK Silver Member
22nd Feb 2013
pasknucklehead Silver Member
25th Feb 2013
JosephK Silver Member
25th Feb 2013
26th Feb 2013
Scotty Silver Member
28th Feb 2013
28th Feb 2013
Reply message Rotating to Portrait - loss of data?
EYeye
18th Mar 2013
     Reply message RE: Rotating to Portrait - loss of data?
elec164 Silver Member
19th Mar 2013
          Reply message Thanks!
EYeye
21st Mar 2013
               Reply message RE: Thanks!
22nd Mar 2013

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 22-Feb-13 03:14 AM
4176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: rotating pictures"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 22-Feb-13 03:18 AM by JosephK

Seattle, WA, US

"Auto image rotation" in the Setup menu is a good thing and should be turned on. This puts orientation data in the EXIF data so that viewers know which side is supposed to be up.

"Rotate tall" in the Playback menu controls whether or not the camera uses the above setting to display the image. When set to "on" the camera will rotate the tall image to be right-side-up but will compress the image and leave large margins in the viewer. Because of this, I always set "rotate tall" to "off" so that I can see the bigger version of the picture even though I need to hold the camera sideways, which is no big deal since that is now I held the camera to take the picture.

When viewing the pictures on your computer, some viewers and web browsers honor the orientation setting while some ignore it. The ones that honor it often have a setting to ignore it or not.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 25-Feb-13 05:44 PM
1408 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: rotating pictures"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Okay Joseph, I'll buy that. So that means it's not my fault my pictures are sideways when I view them on the computer...but it's a pain nevertheless.

Darlene

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 25-Feb-13 06:24 PM
4176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: rotating pictures"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

One option is to "fix" that problem during the transfer off the card. I use Downloader Pro by BreezeSys.com to transfer my pics from the cards to the computers. Not only does it allow great flexibility in renaming the files, it also rotates the images and resets the orientation marker so that everyone views the image correctly.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Tue 26-Feb-13 05:15 PM
#4. "RE: rotating pictures"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Oh, okay, I'll check that out....thanks Joseph.....

Darlene

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Thu 28-Feb-13 12:20 AM
4818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: rotating pictures"
In response to Reply # 2

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

Not your fault Darlene - it's the guys laptop that needs it's settings changed...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Thu 28-Feb-13 05:44 PM
#6. "RE: rotating pictures"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hey thanks Alex.

Darlene

EYeye Registered since 16th Sep 2012Mon 18-Mar-13 08:34 PM
288 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "Rotating to Portrait - loss of data?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Once upon a time many taught that rotation of images to portrait on the computer caused data loss; therefore if one planned to print, do not rotate.

Is that (still) a fact? This was for JPEG, but I also ask about RAW.

Thanks (still shooting D80 though I have D600 as well).

EYeye

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 19-Mar-13 01:59 PM
1981 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Rotating to Portrait - loss of data?"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue 19-Mar-13 02:00 PM by elec164

US

From what I understand, it depends.

Rotating images 90 or 180 degrees does not cause a loss of resolution. But any other angle of rotation does cause a loss of resolution.

I believe the reason being is that there is a direct one to one correlation of pixels when rotating 90 or 180 degrees. But any other angle is not a one to one correlation which causes interpolation artifacts that cause the loss in resolution.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

EYeye Registered since 16th Sep 2012Thu 21-Mar-13 09:55 PM
288 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "Thanks!"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I wish I understood this, as I admit I only "sorta" get it.

EYeye

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Fri 22-Mar-13 11:38 AM
#10. "RE: Thanks!"
In response to Reply # 9

US

That's okay friend, cause I "sorta" don't get it at all. I think there is never a simple answer to anything when it comes to photography, pixels, resolutions, the whole bit....We just go with the flow and hope it works out...lol

Darlene

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252490 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.