Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252489
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for..." Previous topic | Next topic
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Fri 22-Feb-13 01:25 AM
3499 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
Fri 22-Feb-13 01:28 AM by ZoneV

US

Although the D90 is now no longer actually in physical production as far as we can tell, it is still a current model.

I remember back in Sept 2010 when the D7000 was announced, Nikon made it very clear that the D7000 was not being treated as a direct successor to the D90, and the D90 would stay in the lineup for quite some time. Most people called BS on this and said it was just a marketing line to help encourage D90 sales and rid Nikon of existing stock. Everyone really thought that the D90 stock was lmited to 6 months or less.

Well, contrary to the rumors, the D90 did not disappear so quickly. In fact, it's still available new today at B&H, despite production of parts officially ending in Spring of 2011. I remember reading (don't remember where) that what likely happened was that Nikon had stockpiled parts to build lots of new D90 bodies and had continued doing so for a bit longer than usual.

But all-in-all, I do believe Nikon was telling the truth when they stated that the D90 would continue to be available for a good while, despite the D7000 coming out. The D90 may indeed even outlast the D7000 and be available for another 6 months or so. We will have to wait and see...

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement...
OnTERRYo Silver Member
22nd Feb 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
23rd Feb 2013
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional.
22nd Feb 2013
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography
25th Feb 2013
mohd zahid
01st Mar 2013
ttc546 Silver Member
01st Mar 2013
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
02nd Mar 2013
mohd zahid
06th Mar 2013
vitalishe Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
harken
02nd Mar 2013
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography
03rd Mar 2013
JBD90
22nd Mar 2013
meat
22nd Mar 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
16th Apr 2013
ttc546 Silver Member
17th Apr 2013
vitalishe Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
accettoN Silver Member
18th Apr 2013

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Fri 22-Feb-13 04:16 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, CA

Hi Al.

Just to chime in, when I bought my D90 new in the fall
of 2009, I had a choice of five or six to choose from.

Terry.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Sat 23-Feb-13 01:47 AM
3499 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 23-Feb-13 01:49 AM by ZoneV

US

>Hi Al.
>
>Just to chime in, when I bought my D90 new in the fall
>of 2009, I had a choice of five or six to choose from.

I bought a D90 in Spring of 2010, took 3,000 shots with it, including a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity--a relative's wedding--I was their photographer--and then sold it that fall in like-new condition at a $120 loss in value. It was a pretty nice SLR, but I didn't really need the image quality at high ISO for most of what I was/am doing...and the camera body was a bit too consumer (couldn't meter with manual focus lenses).

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Fri 22-Feb-13 05:03 PM
1312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

But then the new 7100 may really knock both of them out -- or at least lower then 7000 price to the point that who would buy a 90?

----
Dennis Smith.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 25-Feb-13 09:07 AM
3357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

When a camera or any product goes out of production, it is not started again because setting up jigs and assembly line tooling for an older model is less productive than using the same valuable production capacitor for newer hotter selling units with more margin.
The D90 will be be remembered as one of the most successful cameras ever, with few is any design flaws, great balance of features and price and all the other good descriptions used for the D90. But it never went back into production and what is selling now is back stock. Same with the D7000, which is out of production but there is a lot of stock left. Nikon does not remove something from their catalog until it is gone from the distribution channel.

I lost my beloved D90...last week, my GF gave it to her adult son without telling me. Her excuse was "you have a camera, no one needs more than one camera". I was nearing 100,000 shots with it although had not taken a frame for months. I had fonder memories captured with that camera than either my D7000 or D800.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mohd zahid Registered since 01st Mar 2013Fri 01-Mar-13 03:44 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

MY

I got one D90 in September 2012. Yes 2012. Replacing the not that old D5000. It is more and less. But I am happy. it already clocked 4000 sc. I am in demand among relatives for events. (as a back-up for their expensive pro's) as i can shared pictures just in a few hours after the event and free
Thinking to get a f2.8 lens. But the price is to much for me at the moment. Now that Nikon will release D7100 next month, maybe next fall i'll get the D7000. or just fast lens.

What do you all think?
i have a kit lens 18-105mm 3.5
i have a 50mm 1.8

ttc546 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Fri 01-Mar-13 08:21 AM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Camberley, UK

With the new D7100 announced and being released this month, I suspect that the D7000 will still remain around for some time - the same scenario as was/is for the D7000/D90 - and the current pricing reflects this. I think the 7100 looks a bargain and the specs look very good.

Its kinda like the Apple iPhone upgrades - the iPhone 5 is the latest and greatest, but you can still buy a 4 and 4S quite readily.

I have long been toying with the idea of upgrading my D90 as I am now butting up against its limitations - though admittedly a very fine camera. Not withstanding my own limitations, I do action photography a lot (pet sports) and the fps of 4.5 is quite limiting, plus other factors such as focus speed, dynamic range (black and white dogs are soooo difficult to get right when in action), plkus the 51 point AF on 7100

Then again, you gotta wonder if Nikon will actually release a D400 later in the year or whether the 7100 is this itself.

Or should I go full-frame and get a 600/800 - but the fps is not on a par. I only have 1 Dx lens that would not work too well on the Fx camera body (18-200)

Either way my D90 will be off to a new home later this year and either be replaced by the 7100 or 400 (if it gets released) or 600 or 800 (800 prob beyond my budget). The D4 is just dreamland to my small wallet.

So, to go back to your point, I think the 7000 WAS the new D90, (with new naming convention of Dxxx) and that they just kept the D90 going as a lower level price point like the iPhone 5/4 scenario. Perhaps the sales strategy is to keep current model + old model in tandem for a while.

Chris

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 02-Mar-13 06:04 AM
26766 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Mohd,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Fast Glass is a lifetime investment.
Camera bodies come and go.
I would get a good lens before another body.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

mohd zahid Registered since 01st Mar 2013Wed 06-Mar-13 04:49 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

MY

Thanks Marty for your suggestion.

vitalishe Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2012Tue 23-Apr-13 06:45 PM
308 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Los Alamos, US

Mohd, if all you do is take pictures of relatives upgrading to D700 or even D7100 will not give you much benefit, IMHO.
If you are looking to spend some money and get an upgrade, here are some options
- get 35 1.8G ($200):
it will be more usefull in close quarters than 50mm.
It is also considered one of the best Nikon lenses for its cost.
- get a used 35-70 2.8D ($350-$450):
this is a trade off of aperture for zoom range.
- go wide with Tokina 12-24 or 11-16. These work great in low light hand-held because they are wide angle lenses.

harken Registered since 28th Feb 2013Sat 02-Mar-13 12:55 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hmmm...this is interesting to hear. Just yesterday when talking with a Nikon customer service rep about a brand new D7000 problem, I mentioned also having a D90. Since I am looking for a second camera (hence the D7000) but am not happy with its looser than normal sub command button (my post about that is in the D7000 subforum), the Nikon rep said they still make and sell the D90.

Just passing along what I was told...

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 03-Mar-13 07:22 PM
3357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

St Petersburg, RU

ALL reps of all companies say that anything still in the warehouse is still a current model, that is, until excess inventory is exhausted. After they are gone, the product is quietly removed from the catalog.
Right now Nikon has a number of cameras which stopped production some time ago but the stocks are not completely exhauste 3000, 3100, 5000, 90, 7000 300s, 700 and 3x
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

JBD90 Registered since 24th Nov 2011Fri 22-Mar-13 07:29 PM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I bought my D90 two years ago and did not know it was discontinued at the time. I was holding a rain check from a big box store for a consumer grade Nikon DSLR and a sale came up on Newegg of all places and the difference in price seemed very close. I am so glad I made the jump up. I have been buying up great AF film period lenses. Just recently I recommended the D90 to a guy who is just now looking to go digital for the first time and he has an inventory of lenses from his N80. Also on a pension budget. Made sense to me. JB

meat Registered since 17th Feb 2012Fri 22-Mar-13 08:14 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I think the D90 still has a place in Nikon's lineup for those that want a camera with a lens motor who do not want to pay the price for the D7000 or D7100.

The D5200 and D3200's are great cameras, but for some that have older glass without lens motors, the D90 makes more sense.

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Tue 16-Apr-13 04:29 PM
472 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
In response to Reply # 12

jacksonville, US

I read that the 7000 will stay in production along with the 7100. logic suggests that the 90 will cease production, the 7000 eventually reaching the 90 price point.

I've toyed with the idea of upgrading from the d80 to the 7000, and i'm trying to justify the extra $400 for the mpixel gain and the low lpass filter change.

ttc546 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Wed 17-Apr-13 07:55 AM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
In response to Reply # 13
Wed 17-Apr-13 07:57 AM by ttc546

Camberley, UK

My new D7100 arrives tomorrow and my D90 will go up for sale on FleaBay. Loved the D90 and, despite my own limitations as a photographer, it has enabled me to produce some fine photos.

D7100, 50 1.8, 70-200, 70-300, 18-200, SB600

Chris

vitalishe Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2012Tue 23-Apr-13 06:53 PM
308 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
In response to Reply # 14

Los Alamos, US

I decided to keep my D90 when I got D7100.
How many times have you been in the situation where you wanted to change a lens on the camera only to change it back in a few minutes?
D90 is a great second camera to have to avoid lens changing.
And if you keep 18-200 lens, I don't think you will see any differences in the image quality from that lens on D90 vs D7100.

accettoN Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2013Thu 18-Apr-13 09:01 AM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nikon was telling the truth re: D90 not replacement for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Plymouth, UK

Bought this camera long time ago, still happy with it and see no reason to change it for any DX camera, even D300s. Once I will get new camera, it will be FX body, not just a new body with slight upgrade in it...

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252489 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.