Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252467
View in linear mode

Subject: "Huh? What's that all about?" Previous topic | Next topic
mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Wed 13-Feb-13 09:42 PM
635 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Huh? What's that all about?"

West Valley, US

I am just getting to know my new D90, and I am confused. I like it, but it is very complicated!

I shot my D50 for years, apparently at the default sharpening setting, with no problems ever with sharpness that I didn't cause myself.

Now, I read the D90 manual, and it says there ia an Auto feature, (which I just found, yay!) which controls it automatically, or I can choose between 0-9 levels.

Good ol' Ken Rockwell, in his D90 User's Guide, says Neutral and +1 sharpening for people, and I assume, general photo subjects.

My Magic Lantern Guide says: P.85: "NOTE:Nikon appears to have changed direction somewhat in terms of in-camera sharpening with the D-90, as it is noticeably less aggressive with JPEG files compared with other Nikon DSLR cameras. The result is that at the default settings for the Nikon Picture Controls, JPEG images can look rather soft...try a level of 5 or 6 as a starting point..."

Oh, boy!

I have not noticed any sharpness problems, with my Picture Control at Standard and sharpening at + 3.

Soooo...should I keep doing what I have been, and not worry about the rest? Would the Nikonian's D 90 guide be a good purchase for clarification?

What does everybody else do?

Thanks

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Huh? What's that all about?
aolander Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
JosephK Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
suzyk Silver Member
16th Feb 2013
JosephK Silver Member
17th Feb 2013
suzyk Silver Member
22nd Feb 2013
Arkayem Moderator
10th Mar 2013

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 13-Feb-13 10:56 PM
3259 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Huh? What's that all about?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

"Soooo...should I keep doing what I have been, and not worry about the rest?"

Yes

Alan

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 14-Feb-13 12:53 AM
4493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Huh? What's that all about?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

If you are happy with the results you are getting, then continue what you are doing.

In my higher end cameras, I have one of the shooting banks setup for snapshots where I am not expecting to do much (if any) post processing; here the sharpening is higher than normal.

The rest of the time I have the sharpening and most other settings on a neutral mark and do it all in post processing for better control.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

suzyk Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011Sat 16-Feb-13 02:41 PM
1563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Huh? What's that all about?"
In response to Reply # 2

near Hobart, AU

Joseph,

When you say 'neutral mark', would that mean default settings or 0 or something else?
I shoot raw and I'm experimenting with PP. I've been wondering how sharpening in camera affects sharpening PP? It would be interesting if you could elaborate.

Cheers,
Suzy

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 17-Feb-13 12:31 AM
4493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Huh? What's that all about?"
In response to Reply # 3

Seattle, WA, US

By neutral, I mean zero or in the middle of the scale used. (This is usually not the factory defaults.)

When shooting raw files, only Nikon's software will use the picture controls, everyone else ignores them. With Nikon's software the settings are used only for the initial display of the picture, and you can change them easily during the post processing. Since these settings are baked into the JPGs, there is less room for changes there.

In general, sharpening needs to happen twice. At the beginning of post processing, just after any noise correction, "input sharpening" is used to correct the effects of the filters on the sensor. At the end of your post processing, "output sharpening" is then applied at levels specific to where the picture is going (web, printer, etc).

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

suzyk Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011Fri 22-Feb-13 12:21 AM
1563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Huh? What's that all about?"
In response to Reply # 4

near Hobart, AU

Thanks for the clarification, Joseph.

Suzy

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 10-Mar-13 07:32 PM
5998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Huh? What's that all about?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>I am just getting to know my new D90, and I am confused. I
>like it, but it is very complicated!
>
>I shot my D50 for years, apparently at the default sharpening
>setting, with no problems ever with sharpness that I didn't
>cause myself.
>
>Now, I read the D90 manual, and it says there ia an Auto
>feature, (which I just found, yay!) which controls it
>automatically, or I can choose between 0-9 levels.
>
>Good ol' Ken Rockwell, in his D90 User's Guide, says Neutral
>and +1 sharpening for people, and I assume, general photo
>subjects.
>
>My Magic Lantern Guide says: P.85: "NOTE:Nikon appears to
>have changed direction somewhat in terms of in-camera
>sharpening with the D-90, as it is noticeably less aggressive
>with JPEG files compared with other Nikon DSLR cameras. The
>result is that at the default settings for the Nikon Picture
>Controls, JPEG images can look rather soft...try a level of 5
>or 6 as a starting point..."
>
>Oh, boy!
>
>I have not noticed any sharpness problems, with my Picture
>Control at Standard and sharpening at + 3.
>
>Soooo...should I keep doing what I have been, and not worry
>about the rest? Would the Nikonian's D 90 guide be a good
>purchase for clarification?
>
>What does everybody else do?

You can normally only see the softness you are talking about when looking at the image at 100% or very large prints, like 11x14 or bigger.

For most normal uses, the default sharpening is fine.

Also, the only time you have to worry about additional sharpening is when shootinhg jpegs. If you are shooting raw, the sharpening does nothing except sharpen the embedded jpeg image (which is what you see on the LCD camera monitor). With raw images, you can adjust everything during post processing.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252467 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.