nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Huh? What's that all about?

mkbee1

West Valley, US
664 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mkbee1 Registered since 26th Nov 2012
Wed 13-Feb-13 09:42 PM

I am just getting to know my new D90, and I am confused. I like it, but it is very complicated!

I shot my D50 for years, apparently at the default sharpening setting, with no problems ever with sharpness that I didn't cause myself.

Now, I read the D90 manual, and it says there ia an Auto feature, (which I just found, yay!) which controls it automatically, or I can choose between 0-9 levels.

Good ol' Ken Rockwell, in his D90 User's Guide, says Neutral and +1 sharpening for people, and I assume, general photo subjects.

My Magic Lantern Guide says: P.85: "NOTE:Nikon appears to have changed direction somewhat in terms of in-camera sharpening with the D-90, as it is noticeably less aggressive with JPEG files compared with other Nikon DSLR cameras. The result is that at the default settings for the Nikon Picture Controls, JPEG images can look rather soft...try a level of 5 or 6 as a starting point..."

Oh, boy!

I have not noticed any sharpness problems, with my Picture Control at Standard and sharpening at + 3.

Soooo...should I keep doing what I have been, and not worry about the rest? Would the Nikonian's D 90 guide be a good purchase for clarification?

What does everybody else do?

Thanks

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Huh? What's that all about?

G