Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252450
View in linear mode

Subject: "First SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good?" Previous topic | Next topic
fino831 Registered since 07th Feb 2013Thu 07-Feb-13 03:50 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"First SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good?"
Thu 07-Feb-13 03:58 AM by fino831

US

I bought the d90 body for $300 from someone on Craigslist. She told me she was looking to upgrade and that this body had 20k shutter actuation, which from what I've read is not a lot since most d90's can go up to 100k, but then again what do I know.

What kind of things should I be looking at to make sure the camera is in fully working order? I probably should have asked this before actually buying the camera, but my hastiness got the better of me.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2qwfrjd.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/23vdohk.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/fxh54j.jpg

Also, on a side note, I was in a dilemma about what first lens to get, I ended up doing a 50mm 1.4/D vs a 1.8/D comparison and I decided to go with the 1.8/D since I felt like it was the most "bang for your buck." Can anyone tell me if it was a good decision?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: First SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good?
Rassie Silver Member
07th Feb 2013
km6xz Moderator
07th Feb 2013
mkbee1 Silver Member
08th Feb 2013
meat
09th Feb 2013
WhatAboutBob Gold Member
12th Feb 2013
mohd zahid
06th Mar 2013
WhatAboutBob Gold Member
06th Mar 2013
mohd zahid
07th Mar 2013
meat
09th Mar 2013
suzyk Silver Member
16th Feb 2013
vitalishe Silver Member
18th Feb 2013

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 07-Feb-13 01:43 PM
2885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: First SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good?"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

The D90 is a great camera that is capable of making very nice pictures. If it's in mechanically good condition, with 20k shutter actuations, I think you did well price-wise.

All I could suggest to check for full working order is to take pictures in the various modes. Test the manual modes, aperture-priority, shutter-priority, full auto, program modes, etc. If all work well, then I guess the camera is OK. You could also check for obvious dust bunnies on the sensor. Shoot a clean, blank white wall at small aperture, say F/16 or such. Don't worry about achieving proper focus on the wall. Then view the picture at 100% view on a monitor and see if there are any spots showing up in the image. Dust bunnies are easy to get rid of - there are many posts on this forum about sensor cleaning.

I can't speak for the lens, but I would guess that particular lens is probably one of the better lenses so you should get good images from it. Look for reviews on the lens on the internet.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 07-Feb-13 09:09 PM
3334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: First SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 07-Feb-13 09:09 PM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

The 50 1.8D is indeed a bargain and is capable of very good images. The only weakness is wide open contrast and color are not great. But stop it down to 2.8 and it becomes really really good. The D version is worse wide open than the newer G version but its 1/2 the price. In many respects the 1.8G is better than the 50 1.4G or D.
For a general purpose lens that is not expensive, I would look on Craig's list for the kit lens for the D90, 18-105VR. It has a very versatile range, is sharp, focusing very close and on the long end is an excellent portrait lens with decent bokeh and at the wide end suitable for landscapes. You should be able to find one for $200-250.
The D90 has proven to be one of the most reliable and best sorted out camera at release than any in memory. If it is taking good photos and the flash works, AF works, pronounce it "perfect" and go shooting;>)
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Fri 08-Feb-13 03:38 PM
635 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: First SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good?"
In response to Reply # 2

West Valley, US

It sounds to me like you did very well!

Depending on what you had before, in my experience, my D90 was really confusing at first, but a month or so with it and 3 manuals, and I am figuring it out. Buy a manual...the Nikonians D 90 manual looks to be a good one. I checked out "The D90 for Dummies" from the local library, and it helped tremendously. As you may imagine, I am not a techy person.

Lenses...they are all good! Disregerd comments like: The (fill in the blank) is not sharp wide open. Most lenses aren't, till you get into the megabuck big guns. But, most are extremely adequate for almost any normal use.

The 50mm 1.8 is a good lens,and light; 75mm equivalent on the DX D90, but not something I use a lot.

For great utility, as was mentioned, the 18-105 is a good, sharp lens, as is the red-headed stepchild, the 18-135. My absolute favorite "walking-around" lens is my old 28-105 D lens. I know, it is only a 42mm equivlalent on the DX D 90, but I don't use really wide all that much. I like it better than my 18-70, which is on my wife's camera. Any of the four will be an excellent lens, and won't break the bank.

My buddy, who sells his photos, has the older, compact Sigma 18-200 that he uses almost all the time on his Canon, instead of several of his other lenses, especially the Sigma 150-500. (Can't say as I blame him, there!)

Aperture? Don't worry about it! I shot my granddaughter's indoor tennis match with my D50 and the 28-105,(3.5-4.5) with good results, and, DUH! I forgot to raise the ISO from 200.

Soooo...pick a lens, any lens that appeals, attach it to the camera, attach your camera to your shoulder, and sally forth to commit photography!

Cheers!
Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

meat Registered since 17th Feb 2012Sat 09-Feb-13 03:53 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: First SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I think you got a good price on the camera, but I don't really find 50mm too useful on APS-C frame camera. Others love it. A 35 f1.8 would be more like a normal lens. You will probably want something more wide angle.

WhatAboutBob Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Nov 2009Tue 12-Feb-13 02:55 AM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: First SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good?"
In response to Reply # 4

Georgetown, US

Welcome to Nikonians - sounds like you got a sweet deal. Love my D90 - with my baby being born this year found myself using the 35 f/1.8 to take lots of pictures of her - great little lens and very inexpensive...

I second Darrell's book from nikonians on D90. I think you can get a tablet version now. And I think if you buy the book, you can get a discount towards gold membership here.

Enjoy!

mohd zahid Registered since 01st Mar 2013Wed 06-Mar-13 05:49 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: First SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good?"
In response to Reply # 4

MY

Hai all nikonians.

Greetings all, I am very new here.
Just pick-up a D90(new) in September 2012. An upgrade of sort from D5000.
Any suggestion if i wanted to get a good lens, my budget between USD300 to USD400.00 or cheaper.(new or used)
I already have a 18-105mm kit lens and a 50mm 1.8D

Thank you all.

i am a beginner level user.

WhatAboutBob Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Nov 2009Wed 06-Mar-13 06:47 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: First SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good?"
In response to Reply # 8

Georgetown, US

>Hai all nikonians.
>
>Greetings all, I am very new here.
>Just pick-up a D90(new) in September 2012. An upgrade of sort
>from D5000.
>Any suggestion if i wanted to get a good lens, my budget
>between USD300 to USD400.00 or cheaper.(new or used)
>I already have a 18-105mm kit lens and a 50mm 1.8D
>
>Thank you all.
>
>i am a beginner level user.
I have the D90 w/ the 18-105 kit lens and bought the 70-300VR at same time. I am happy with the 70-300VR and you should be able to get this lens used within your budget range.

Tour next lens also depends on what you want to shoot...

Welcome!

mohd zahid Registered since 01st Mar 2013Thu 07-Mar-13 02:48 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: First SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good?"
In response to Reply # 9

MY

Thank You Bob,

your input is appreciated.

meat Registered since 17th Feb 2012Sat 09-Mar-13 10:02 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: First SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

>Hai all nikonians.
>
>Greetings all, I am very new here.
>Just pick-up a D90(new) in September 2012. An upgrade of sort
>from D5000.
>Any suggestion if i wanted to get a good lens, my budget
>between USD300 to USD400.00 or cheaper.(new or used)
>I already have a 18-105mm kit lens and a 50mm 1.8D
>
>Thank you all.
>
>i am a beginner level user.

I would say the 55-200 VR if you want a telephoto lens or the 35mm f1.8 if you want something wider than your 50mm 1.8.

suzyk Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011Sat 16-Feb-13 02:56 PM
1563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: First SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good?"
In response to Reply # 0

near Hobart, AU

Serafin,

A warm welcome to Nkonians.

My first (and only) DSLR purchase was a D9014 months ago. Provided yours is in working order, it's a great camera. I have the 18-105 which I've found to be a great match. But I would love either a 35 or 50mm prime for lower light. ood luck and have fun.

Cheers,
Suzy

vitalishe Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2012Mon 18-Feb-13 08:20 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: First SLR purchase, D90 body. Did I do good?"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Alamos, US

fino,

you got a great deal on D90. Congratulations!

In terms of lenses it's a complicated question, since it depends on what you are going to do with them. Check out this site
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php
it has good reviews of different Nikon and 3rd party lenses.

If I was starting with just D90 body I would get one of the second-hand kit lenses (18-105 VR). These are great lenses, but you can get them cheap because they are kit lenses. Once you have a lens that covers typical zoom ranges you can start specializing.

About 50mm F1.8D, it may work great as a portrait lens, but not really as a walk around lens. Check out the site I posted to see the strengths and weaknesses of this and other lenses at different apertures (and zoom levels).

Here are the lenses I can recomend:
- In the wide zoom range I can highly recommend Tokina 12-24 F4.
It works great indoors even in low light conditions.

- In the super-zoom range, I have Nikon 70-300 VR. It's a sharp lens stopped down to F/8 in the range 70-250. In the range 250-300 it gets soft to the point that IMHO it should be considered 70-250 VR.
This may be a significant inconvenience since most people use their super-zooms and the largest magnification.

- To solve this problem I just bought Tokina 400mm (ATX SD) F/5.6 online for juts over $200. I did not have a chance to test it, yet. But I hope it will be great for taking pictures of wild life.

- Tamron 90mm F/2.8 is true Macro lens that is very sharp. It also doubles as a great portrait lens due to large aperture. It's weakness is a slow auto-focus.

- I got both 50 F/1.8G and 35 F/1.8G. I don't use them much although they both are very sharp lenses. In fact 35 F/1.8G optically is considered one of the best lenses for DX. I use 50 F/1.8G mostly for portaits and 35 F/1.8G for specialized low light situations. For example I used it to photograph night sky. I needed large aperture to avoid exposures longer than 10 seconds to keep stars as circles instead of lines.

- I also have older Nikon 35-70 F/2.8, which I got around $450.
I also use this for portraits. I cannot say that I am terribly impressed, but it is in between the primes and my kit zoom lens.

I hope this helps.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252450 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.