Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252413
View in linear mode

Subject: "Copying Slides" Previous topic | Next topic
rjo3491 Registered since 19th Sep 2009Sat 26-Jan-13 12:06 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Copying Slides"

US

Greetings All:

My D-90 is working again and it's time to start a new project (digitizing a few thousand Kodachrome Slides). I was about to drop $500 or so on a used scanner when I remembered that way far back on the top shelf of a closet I rarely access (in the dark, boxes covered in dust) are the Nikon slide copier and bellows I used to make prints of slides with my F2A. I have a macro lens - can I safely mount this equipment to my D-90 (I don't even want to attempt this without asking for fear of damaging the mount), or, do I need to drop $90 on an extension tube?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Copying Slides
Izzie Gold Member
26th Jan 2013
rjo3491
26th Jan 2013
JosephK Silver Member
26th Jan 2013
rjo3491
26th Jan 2013
Rassie Silver Member
26th Jan 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
26th Jan 2013
rjo3491
26th Jan 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
26th Jan 2013
rjo3491
26th Jan 2013
canoeman Silver Member
26th Jan 2013
rjo3491
26th Jan 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
26th Jan 2013
Apalach Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
rjo3491
29th Jan 2013
Apalach Silver Member
29th Jan 2013

Izzie Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2011Sat 26-Jan-13 01:59 AM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Copying Slides"
In response to Reply # 0

Chesterfield, US

About a year or two ago, my husband asked me to copy some slides from his trip to Saudi Arabia (1973 era) recovering the Buckaroo T35A trainers that was given to the Saudis (1950 era). He came back with a lot of photos. We have an old scanner and bellows not supported anymore by the manufacturer. Later on he found a software that he was able to work on with his scanner. It is called Vue Scan Pro. We were able to recover all his slides digitally and I was able to put it together as a presentation and for posterity sake.

Maybe this is just what you need instead of a new scanner. This software works for older scanners and ours with the slide scanner is certainly that old. We have newer printers with scanners but I usually use this software instead. Works for all kinds of scanners.

'Hope this helps. And oh by the way, the learning curve is not that bad. It is the same old preview, scan and all you do is choose which editing program you wanted it to open and it will open on that editing program. I chose mine to open in Photoshop.

Fly safe, drive safe and keep safe.
G'day and G'lock....
Izzie

GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS
My Nikonians Gallery

rjo3491 Registered since 19th Sep 2009Sat 26-Jan-13 02:16 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Copying Slides"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Lizzie. Was it Kodachrome? The different emulsion of this film makes it misbehave with most scanners. K64 was my favorite film of all time, but is causing a great deal of headaches now.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 26-Jan-13 02:37 AM
4160 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Copying Slides"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

>it's time to start a new project
>(digitizing a few thousand Kodachrome Slides).

After factoring in your time and the post-processing effort for a "few thousand" slides, would farming it out make more sense?

http://www.DigMyPics.com
http://www.ScanCafe.com

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

rjo3491 Registered since 19th Sep 2009Sat 26-Jan-13 01:57 PM
#6. "RE: Copying Slides"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks. If my results are spotty, I'd consider farming out some of the better ones, but I can't shell out $13 or so per roll. I'll just do this over many months!

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sat 26-Jan-13 02:58 AM
2839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Copying Slides"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

I recently went through a similar exercise. Got an old slide copier from my father that I wanted to fit to my D7000 to copy my slides. I made sure the copier could safely be mounted to the new digital body, then mounted and tested it. It works fine except for one thing - the copier was made to fit full frame cameras, and on the DX body it crops the slide.

So when I'm finally ready to copy my slides I'll rent an FX body for a few days to do the job. If you send me an email to respond to I'll send you a .pdf file that shows which types of older lenses are compatible with the newer digital bodies.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Sat 26-Jan-13 12:35 PM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Copying Slides"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 26-Jan-13 08:25 PM by limeyzen

Waynesville, US

All of which prompts me to ask how does one go about digitizing prints from the film days? Have an Epson V30 but doubt that is sophisticated enough. Do not have the negatives.

Geoff

Edit :- Sorry I realize this is off subject from OP but I guessed the same might apply. My apologies and I'll open a new thread.

G/.

rjo3491 Registered since 19th Sep 2009Sat 26-Jan-13 02:08 PM
#8. "RE: Copying Slides"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Did you use a bellows? I'm hoping that will help reduce some of the formatting issues.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 26-Jan-13 01:06 PM
2940 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Copying Slides"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 26-Jan-13 01:12 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

Which bellows do you have? You won't damage the mount on your D90 however Nikon's bellows were designed for film cameras that don't have protruding hand grips. You will have to mount the bellows in a vertical position to avoid the grip and then after mounting it will be able to swing to the horizontal position for copying. That's what I needed to do to mount this PB-6 on this body.

I think the body is a D80. Larger Pro bodies like the D2 and D3 series require adding an extension tube between the body and the bellows because now the protruding battery portion of the body interferes.

edit: I've tried many different ways to copy slides and using a digital camera and either a bellows or copy attachment is by far much much faster and better than using a scanner including not only flat bed scanners but also film scanners like Nikon's CoolScan 5000 and 9000.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

rjo3491 Registered since 19th Sep 2009Sat 26-Jan-13 02:06 PM
#7. "RE: Copying Slides"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Mine just says, "model 2" on the box. The front plate appears to be smaller than yours in your photo. As long as it will mount OK, I may be OK. I'm going to try mounting it today. If works, I'll be hitting you guys up for advice on producing good quality copies.

canoeman Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Sep 2006Sat 26-Jan-13 03:23 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Copying Slides"
In response to Reply # 7

Vancouver, US

I have a 1970 bellows that I used with a short mount 100 mm novoflex lens for dental photography. I recently connected it to the D90 and found out that I could still get it to work, although I decided to not take a chance on frying the electronics by using the old flash after a few shots.

The thing that turned me off using the bellows more was that the leather had aged and every time you pumped the bellows, it was pumping dust in the direction of the sensor. That wasn't a problem in the film days. I tried vacuuming, etc. but don't feel confident that it won't cause huge dust problems for the sensor.

Something to keep in mind.

Bill
http://www.williamstraube.com/

rjo3491 Registered since 19th Sep 2009Sat 26-Jan-13 05:01 PM
#12. "RE: Copying Slides"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Thanks, that's a great point about dust on the sensor. I have a couple of old zooms and when mounted on an FM2 I can actually feel a puff of air when zooming in. I don't want to mess up a sensor!

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 26-Jan-13 03:28 PM
2940 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Copying Slides"
In response to Reply # 7

Hatboro, Pa, US

>Mine just says, "model 2" on the box. The front
>plate appears to be smaller than yours in your photo. As long
>as it will mount OK, I may be OK. I'm going to try mounting
>it today. If works, I'll be hitting you guys up for advice on
>producing good quality copies.

The Model 2 is the first bellows made by Nikon for the Nikon F. I never knew why they called it Model 2 though.

Rassie is right. And whether you use the Nikon ES-1 Slide Copy adapter or a bellows you'll be cropping the slide. I use a D700 for all my copying because of that. I also use an AI 55mm f2.8 macro lens.

Here is the crop using a D300 DX body. The slide was shot in 1966 on Agfachrome.

And the full frame of the slide using a D700.

I used my PB-4 bellows, a 55mm macro and the slide attachment for the bellows,

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Apalach Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2009Mon 28-Jan-13 04:15 AM
275 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Copying Slides"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 28-Jan-13 04:19 AM by Apalach

Tallahassee, US

I went through a similar decision process a year or so ago. I have many thousands (probably around 40,000) of high quality 35 mm Kodachrome (the original ASA 10 to Hi-speed) as well as Ektachrome 64 to Hi-Speed, and even some old, faded Anscochrome slides. I have already done 3 books, digitizing 200-300 slides on my Epson flat-bed scanner, as well as several other scanners, including the large Nikon stand-alone that I borrowed. I also have the Nikon slide scanner attachment, plus several sets of bellows and extension tubes.

Then a friend who is a professional photog clued me into a secret of the pros. Get your best slides sorted and organized in the correct order, then stack them in the provided boxes (from Costco) and deliver them to your nearest Costco photography center (or use their mail order service).

Their rates are much lower than having to purchase an expensive scanner, plus the quality is at least as good as I have been able to do with a lot of fooling with Photoshop. Rather than sending all your slides to India or some other country (as many digitizing services do), they go to the Costco center near Atlanta and come back with good quality scans, including exposure correction as needed, in a couple of weeks plus two CDs with all your stuff on them. I have found that a couple of sharpenings (using Unsharp Mask) is about all that is required to get them ready for publication.

Occasionally, a slide that has some exposure problems might require some adjustment in Photoshop, but that was unusual. Most were taken with my Nikon SP rangefinder camera, or several different Nikon Fs, or my pre-Nikon Exakta. If you were careful about your original exposures and focusing at the time of capture, you should be in good shape. Plus I saved myself many thousands of hours of Photoshopping and the concomitant frustrations.

Sooo, the bottom line here is unless you just enjoy the heck out of scanning and Photoshopping, save yourself a lot of trouble and frustration and visit your nearest Costco Photo Center and let them do all the initial heavy lifting. Trust me--your family and friends will thank you, since you will be a lot easier to live with!!
Cheers,
Dick

rjo3491 Registered since 19th Sep 2009Tue 29-Jan-13 01:59 AM
#14. "RE: Copying Slides"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Thanks Dick, I never considered Costco (and I'm a member!!). Given some of the excellent suggestions I've received here (cropping. dust blasts from a 40 year old bellows on my sensor, etc.) I may end up sending my few hundred best for processing. I'll stop by Costco next weekend to see what they offer.

Before I got married and had kids, I wandered the country (going to places I would read about in National Geographic - I spent all of my vacations that way. I even made it up the Dempster Hwy in the Yukon and NWT). While I'm interested in quality scans, I'd really just like to relive some of these trips - the slides have been in a fire safe for 25 years now). It's going to be awesome seeing them again!

Many thanks for your suggestion:

Jay

Apalach Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2009Tue 29-Jan-13 05:05 AM
275 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Copying Slides"
In response to Reply # 14

Tallahassee, US

Hey Jay,
Yea--when my friend suggested Costco, my first reaction was which foreign country will my valuable slides visit first? And when I was told zero--Costco does everything in-country--ours! That was enough to sell me initially. Then when I got them back, I was pretty impressed--probably not completely up to my standards--but close enough so that the final post-processing was a no-brainer and pretty easy compared to starting completely from scratch in Photoshop. Good luck and let us know what your experience is re their service.
Cheers,
Dick

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252413 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.