nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252410
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 Slow to respond" Previous topic | Next topic
gr8330 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2009Fri 25-Jan-13 08:22 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 Slow to respond"

Sun City West, US

I can take a picture or two then when I try to take another it wont respond. I can hold down the button for 10 or 15 seconds and most of the time it wont take the picture. This can happen in manual or auto mode. I tried a reset but to no avail. I was hoping someone has an idea before I send it in for repair.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Mike

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 Slow to respond
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
26th Jan 2013
gr8330 Silver Member
26th Jan 2013
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
26th Jan 2013
gr8330 Silver Member
26th Jan 2013
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
26th Jan 2013
27th Jan 2013
gr8330 Silver Member
27th Jan 2013
27th Jan 2013
gr8330 Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
28th Jan 2013
Andy47
30th Jan 2013
gr8330 Silver Member
31st Jan 2013

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 26-Jan-13 12:15 AM
1344 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 Slow to respond"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

A couple of thoughts come to mind ...

• what class is your SD card? Should be 6 (8 or 10 is fine but overkill). If you have class 4 it may be a bit slow.
  • what are you storing, NEF? JPG? NEG+JPG? They will each have some effect, but I would not think enough to get what you are describing
  • do you have AF focus -- in-focus?? If not, no shot.
  • there is an option (via menu) to delay a second or so to let vibration from mirror-up to settle -- but that should only delay a second or so -- but it is disconcerting at times.

Re-reading your post, it sounds a bit strange -- unless you have a very slow SD card. If you bought it a camera store, you might ask them to take a quick look before you send it for repair.

----
Dennis Smith.

gr8330 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2009Sat 26-Jan-13 02:22 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 Slow to respond"
In response to Reply # 1

Sun City West, US

Thanks Dennis, the card is an 8 and I'm storing .jpg, also it is an AF. I'm using the same equipment as when I bought the camera about 3 years ago. It has worked fine up until a year or so ago.

Mike

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 26-Jan-13 04:48 AM
26986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 Slow to respond"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear of your problem.

Does this happen when you are using the built-in Speedlight?

When the shutter does not respond:

1. What is the Number of Images Remaining display in the Viewfinder indicating: r00 or something else?

2. What AF mode is the camera in: AF-A, AF-S, or AF-C?

3. Is the Focus Lock indicator in the viewfinder On (Green Dot on the left side)?

Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

gr8330 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2009Sat 26-Jan-13 06:26 PM
#4. "RE: D90 Slow to respond"
In response to Reply # 3

Sun City West, US

>Hi Mike,
>
>Sorry to hear of your problem.
>
>Does this happen when you are using the built-in Speedlight?
>
>When the shutter does not respond:
>
>1. What is the Number of Images Remaining display in the
>Viewfinder indicating: r00 or something else?
>
>2. What AF mode is the camera in: AF-A, AF-S, or AF-C?
>
>3. Is the Focus Lock indicator in the viewfinder On (Green Dot
>on the left side)?
>
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

I have plenty of space left on the card for picture and have even changed the card as a fix.

I'm in AF-A.

The Focus Lock is on, rocker switch on back of base and do not have a green indicator light.

I do appreciate your help.

>
>

Mike

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 26-Jan-13 07:25 PM
1344 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D90 Slow to respond"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

Sounds like a trip to the repair shop is in order -- if you can get there yourself with the camera, they should be able to check it out on the spot. If not and you have a camera store locally that you frequent, you may find someone there who can check it for you.

----
Dennis Smith.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 27-Jan-13 08:20 AM
26986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D90 Slow to respond"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Mike,

>>1. What is the Number of Images Remaining display in the
>>Viewfinder indicating: r00 or something else?

If the r00 is displayed, the buffer is full and another image can not be captured until there is sufficient space available in the buffer.

>>2. What AF mode is the camera in: AF-A, AF-S, or AF-C?

In AF-S mode and sometimes in AF-A mode the shutter will not release unless the AF system has locked focus.

In AF-C mode the shutter will release regardless of focus.

>>3. Is the Focus Lock indicator in the viewfinder On (Green Dot
>>on the left side)?

See above.

>I have plenty of space left on the card for picture and have
>even changed the card as a fix.
>
>I'm in AF-A.

Try setting the AF mode to Continuous AF (AF-C).
If the shutter still won't release the AF system should not be the problem.

>The Focus Lock is on, rocker switch on back of base and do not
>have a green indicator light.

Are you refurring to the Memory Card Access Light (green light on the back of the camera)?

Again, we are trying to find the cause of the problem by the process of elimination.

Best Regards,
Marty

gr8330 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2009Sun 27-Jan-13 08:50 PM
#7. "RE: D90 Slow to respond"
In response to Reply # 6

Sun City West, US

Thanks Marty,

What I'm saying about the green light is that I don't have one on the view finder. The green card access light does work fine. The focus lock is a slide switch that is either in the lock position or non lock position and it is positioned on the rear of the base. I did chg the AF from AF-A to AF-C and it did work but the shutter acted like it was taking a very low light picture, open long. Its acting like there isn't enough light to take a picture. I do appreciate everyone's time and effort in trying to help me solve this problem.

Mike

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 27-Jan-13 09:37 PM
#8. "RE: D90 Slow to respond"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Mike,

>What I'm saying about the green light is that I don't have one
>on the view finder.

See #9 Focus Indicater on page 9 of the D90 Users Manual . If it is not On when the problem occurs the AF system is preventing the shutter from releasing.
Changing to AF-C mode in the camera menu should allow the shutter to release.

>The green card access light does work fine.

Is it On or blinking when the problem occurs?

>The focus lock is a slide switch that is either in the
>lock position or non lock position and it is positioned on the
>rear of the base.

The Focus Selector Lock only locks the Multi-Selector preventing you from changing the active AF point in Single Point or Dynamic Area AF modes. It has nothing to do with the AF system locking focus as I discribed in my previous post.

>I did chg the AF from AF-A to AF-C and it
>did work but the shutter acted like it was taking a very low
>light picture, open long. Its acting like there isn't enough
>light to take a picture. I do appreciate everyone's time and
>effort in trying to help me solve this problem.

It sounds like you are shooting indoors in low light?
In low light situations you must choose an AF target with as much contrast as possible in order for the AF system to lock focus.

What shutter speed and ISO are you using.

Best Regards,
Marty

gr8330 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2009Mon 28-Jan-13 06:31 PM
#9. "RE: D90 Slow to respond"
In response to Reply # 8

Sun City West, US

I went thru the AF menu trying each one and AF-C worked fine. I also looked thru the main menus looking for something odd and finally depleted my battery. I put the charged battery in this morning and I noticed the green dot back in the viewfinder. I set the AF to AF_A and took 63 shots without a problem. I will see what happens.

Thank you all for your suggestions, this is a great place to be a member.

Mike

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 28-Jan-13 07:44 PM
#10. "RE: D90 Slow to respond"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Hi Mike,

Your more than welcome.
It sounds like the AF system was not able to lock focus in AF-S mode so the shutter would not release. Using a good AF target should help in all but the poorest lighting.

Best Regards,
Marty

Andy47 Registered since 20th Aug 2011Wed 30-Jan-13 02:48 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D90 Slow to respond"
In response to Reply # 10

Albuquerque, US

I have had this problem in long studio shoots--and my model has provided the answer: I've not held the camera steady! Sure enough, when I've braced the camera a bit, the shutter fires without hesitation. So you might just check the nut behind the camera and see if it needs tightening.

gr8330 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2009Thu 31-Jan-13 02:09 AM
#12. "RE: D90 Slow to respond"
In response to Reply # 11
Thu 31-Jan-13 02:10 AM by gr8330

Sun City West, US

Thanks Andy47 for the great humor I laughed out loud when I read your post.

Mike

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252410 Previous topic | Next topic