Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252343
View in linear mode

Subject: "Issue with built-in flash on D90" Previous topic | Next topic
pochiserna Registered since 14th Jan 2013Tue 15-Jan-13 05:26 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Issue with built-in flash on D90"

US

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member and first time posting. I've just bought a used D90 a week ago from a local photography store and have a one month warranty against any defects. The camera appears to be working well except for one issue:

I've been having a problem with the built-in flash and specially selecting the different flash modes (red eye, slow sync, rear-curtain sync, etc..) and appears that the flash button located on the front of the camera by the lens is not functioning. Here is what is happening; If I'm in auto mode or one of the other scene modes, the built-in flash pops up automatically by pressing the shutter when in low light situations, but the if I press the flash button and rotate the main command dial (per manual) to select different flash modes, nothing happens. It does not take me through the different flash modes to select one. Also, If I'm in Aperture, Shutter or Program modes the built-in flash does not pop up when I press the flash button. The only way I can get the flash to work using the A,S or P modes is to first select auto mode, press the shutter so the flash pops up and with the flash up, rotate the dial back to A,S or P and take the picture. But again, I cannot change the flash mode by pressing the flash button and then rotating the main command dial.

I apologize for the long post and like I say before, it appears that the flash button does not work. I'm trying these things per the manual but nothing works so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or is there a defect with the flash button. Before I take it back to the store so they can look at it, I thought I would post it here to see if someone had a similar problem or if anyone can tell me if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks all,

Enrique

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberTue 15-Jan-13 05:51 PM
18153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Issue with built-in flash on D90"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 15-Jan-13 05:57 PM by avm247

Rancho Cordova, US

Enrique first and foremost: Welcome to Nikonians!

The D90 is a great camera, congrats!

In Auto or one of the easy program modes (portrait, macro and night (???)) the flash should pop up automatically in low light situations. (Page 70)
In Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority or Manual, the photographer has to depress the flash release button (lighting bolt) on the left side of the viewfinder housing.

To rotate through the modes, you need to depress the flash release button and turn the main command dial (rear dial) at the same time. That should scroll through the flash options.

Now then: the D90 might have a custom function that switches the front (sub-command) and rear (main command dials), so you might want to check if the FRONT dial changes any settings. I do NOT believe performing a two-button reset will reset this change.

Okay, I just downloaded the User Manual: Menu F/f5 Customize command dials. (Page 201) Electronic copy of the English D90 user manual can be found here.

Good luck, let us know if that works.

I don't have that camera, BTW.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

pochiserna Registered since 14th Jan 2013Tue 15-Jan-13 06:11 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Issue with built-in flash on D90"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for you response Anthony... I'm sure I've already tried using the front sub-command dial and still nothing but I will try it again. But even if that was the case, the built-in flash does not pop up when I press the flash (lightning bolt) button when I'm in A,P,S or M mode. That's why I think the button may have a defect and not working..

Is there a way to find out if the previous owner set any custom functions that may still be programmed into the camera?

Thanks again,

Enrique

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 15-Jan-13 07:28 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Issue with built-in flash on D90"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

I think you have nailed the problem, there is a small solenoid that releases the scissor arms to pop up the flash. The button on the side of the housing and the Auto functions do the same thing; trigger the solenoid to pop it up. The button does additional work but the simple part is not working so a logical assumption is the tactile switch under the button is defective. The switches are standard parts that are surface mount and cheap....$0.05. If it is not under warranty, labor and parts will be high because techs do not change individual parts but the next larger assembly as a unit. It would be worth the effort to try to replace it yourself if it is not covered. $0.05 plus 1-2 hours of time is going to be less than what Nikon would charge.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 16-Jan-13 01:15 PM
2724 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Issue with built-in flash on D90"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Since the store you bought the camera from gave you a one month warranty, take it back. There is no reason for you to fiddle with it if it's broken.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252343 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.