nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252338
View in linear mode

Subject: "ONE TIME SHOT" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Tue 15-Jan-13 02:52 AM
1426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ONE TIME SHOT"

US

Hi everyone, wanted to make sure I'm not forgotten, so here's a really cool shot I took. THINK FEET!!!!! And don't forget, my pictures are not photoshopped, they are the real deal...I probably won't ever get this again, so I wanted to share it with you all....

Darlene

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: ONE TIME SHOT
mkbee1 Silver Member
15th Jan 2013
pasknucklehead Silver Member
15th Jan 2013
ChipsByAl Silver Member
15th Jan 2013
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
15th Jan 2013
Scotty Silver Member
16th Jan 2013
ctdrummer Silver Member
16th Jan 2013
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
16th Jan 2013
16th Jan 2013
Izzie Gold Member
17th Jan 2013
18th Jan 2013
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
18th Jan 2013
18th Jan 2013
18th Jan 2013
18th Jan 2013
cwils02 Gold Member
19th Jan 2013
20th Jan 2013
cwils02 Gold Member
18th Jan 2013
ttc546 Silver Member
18th Jan 2013
archer4219
20th Jan 2013
23rd Jan 2013
francine Silver Member
30th Jan 2013
03rd Feb 2013
francine Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
06th Feb 2013
francine Silver Member
06th Feb 2013
Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
09th Mar 2013
11th Mar 2013
Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
12th Mar 2013
bobdptro Silver Member
13th Mar 2013
14th Mar 2013
Scotty Silver Member
14th Mar 2013
16th Mar 2013
Scotty Silver Member
16th Mar 2013

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Tue 15-Jan-13 05:12 PM
663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 0

West Valley, US

Wow! It looks like something from the movie "THE ABYSS". How'd you do that?

Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Tue 15-Jan-13 05:27 PM
1426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Yes it does Carl. It's just a waterdrop. I have drops suspended up above a baking dish, and when they drop, I just shoot and pray. I've got some amazing different designs. You can't believe this can be simply water. The colors are from colored pieces of card stock sitting behind my dish and my flash facing it.

Darlene

ChipsByAl Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2009Tue 15-Jan-13 10:14 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 2

harvey, US

Very nice shot Darlene, might have a better chance at the Lottery than getting that one again.
Al

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 15-Jan-13 11:41 PM
27015 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Darlene,

Wow! That is a unique image.
Thanks for sharing.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Wed 16-Jan-13 05:34 PM
4864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

Love that Darleen - you should try selling this sort of stuff to photo agencies... great shot...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Wed 16-Jan-13 06:51 PM
221 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 16-Jan-13 06:52 PM by ctdrummer

Southern CT, US

That's definitely one of those times you should say "I meant to do that!"

Nice shot.. I would call it "Wet feet"

Visit My Nikonians Gallery.

Visit My web page.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberWed 16-Jan-13 06:57 PM
18629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Cool shot! (I might rotate it 180 so the foot is coming down as opposed to coming up. )

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Wed 16-Jan-13 07:22 PM
#8. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Thanks again everyone, it is so interesting what I get sometimes, and you don't really get to appreciate it until you are looking at them on the computer after a very long backbreaking day of staring at a baking dish full of water. Anthony, I don't want to rotate it simply because it wouldn't make it believeable. The shot is just a drop of water coming from the top down into a dish of water. Rotating it would look like I manipulated it and that is something I don't do. The most I do with any of my waterdrop shots is throw them in photoshop, crop, lighten or darken and clone out the dust bunnies. I don't add or substract of move them around, to me that wouldn't be honest. But thanks for the thought though. I have had quite a few people ask me if they are photoshopped, and I am glad to answer no, only doing what I mentioned above. I don't know any way of proving that to anyone, but I have all my originals with all the exif data so I guess that would be one way, I don't know.
Oh Alex, actually I have now over 12 of my waterdrops up for sale at two different galleries. But I tell you what, as I look at the photos I had placed last year in the one gallery, these babies don't even come close....Practice makes perfect!!!!!! Thanks everyone for all the great compliments.

Darlene

Izzie Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2011Thu 17-Jan-13 05:41 PM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 8

Chesterfield, US

You said... "and when they drop, I just shoot and pray."

Maybe it is your prayer that made it. LOL Did you use a rectangular baking dish? I guess if you use a transparent round mixing dish the shape will be different too...add your prayer to the shape too and you get the shot right...

Man...I wish I have your patience...I've done waterdrop shots one with the American flag but I can't replicate it anymore...I just gave up.

Fly safe, drive safe and keep safe.
G'day and G'lock....
Izzie

GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS
My Nikonians Gallery

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Fri 18-Jan-13 01:13 AM
#10. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Hey Izzie, don't give up!!! That's your first mistake. It does take patience, but if you take one whole day and make a note of EVERYTHING you do, lighting, setup, camera settings, and keep notes, then it gets easier and easier. You may not always get that perfect shot, BUT the setup of everything takes you half the time. My whole problem was I got so into clicking, clicking, clicking the shutter, never paying attention to EXACTLY what I did when I did get a good shot and then everything was like I said, "shoot and pray". But after awhile, you spend a lot less time making all those settings and adjustments and get to spend more time getting keeper. Get back on the bandwagon and give it another chance. It really is quite fun...And I will help you along, just ask....

Darlene

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberFri 18-Jan-13 02:27 AM
18629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 8

Rancho Cordova, US

Darlene, I totally understand where your coming from. I hope my comment did not put you off, that was not my intent.

(I do enjoy your water drop images, though I don't often comment in images. )

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Fri 18-Jan-13 10:21 PM
#14. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 11

US

>Darlene, I totally understand where your coming from. I hope
>my comment did not put you off, that was not my intent.
Not at all my friend...I wasn't put off. I am glad you thought about it enough to offer an opinion....
>
>(I do enjoy your water drop images, though I don't often
>comment in images. )
>
>
>Anthony
>
>The
>Moderator Page> and
>
My
>Gallery>
>The important things in life are simple; the
>simple things are hard.

Darlene

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Fri 18-Jan-13 10:23 PM
#15. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 14

US

CHARLIE, CHARLIE, CHARLIE, only you would think it's the left foot. Look at the BIG TOE, it's the right foot!!!!!!

Darlene

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Fri 18-Jan-13 10:25 PM
#16. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 15

US

Chris, you'd buy it because you have GOOD TASTE!!!

Darlene

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sat 19-Jan-13 05:24 AM
809 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 15

HIXSON, US

>CHARLIE, CHARLIE, CHARLIE, only you would think it's the left
>foot. Look at the BIG TOE, it's the right foot!!!!!!

No, No, here's the right foot:

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Sun 20-Jan-13 12:52 AM
#18. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 17

US

Well, I certainly stand corrected, you are absolutely right!!!!! Hey, maybe that's why my shoes are never on the right foot!!!!!!

Darlene

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Fri 18-Jan-13 06:22 AM
809 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 0

HIXSON, US

Darlene,

How could I ever forget you. Everytime I see a black bear, I think of you.

This image looks like the bottom of a left foot. See the funny round toe & the other four toes, and the heel; all connected to the lower part of the leg? Some water creature diving into the pool...

Charlie

ttc546 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Fri 18-Jan-13 08:04 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 12

Camberley, UK

The question I always ask is : Would I pay good money to have that print hanging on my wall?

The answer is a definitive YES!

Well done :- )

Chris

archer4219 Registered since 02nd Jan 2013Sun 20-Jan-13 03:35 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 0

Surrey, CA

Wow, well done!

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Wed 23-Jan-13 12:42 AM
#20. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 19

US

Thanks Archer, and like I said, that probably was a one time shot...but who knows, maybe the next will be a hand!!!!

Darlene

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Wed 30-Jan-13 08:01 PM
919 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#21. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 20

Thornton, US

That is a greaaaaaat shot. Do you do it in the sink, inside, outside is it a cooky sheet or class baking dish. Do you let it drip out of the faucet or do you splash it somehow. I keep looking at it trying to figure out how you did it. Did you use a tripod??? How about showing some others. I love it. Your shooting is getting really good. I hope you sell them all and get enough money to buy the lens of your dreams.
Fran

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Sun 03-Feb-13 07:40 PM
#22. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 21

US

Hi Francine, sorry it took me so long to get back on here again and see that you had posted questions. Now I hope you get back on here to see the answers.
This was taken using my d90 and 105 macro lens I believe.
I am now using a system called the stop shot....Actually, I am not using it to it's full potential I know that, but I am getting better results just using it to make my drops. It is just a set up that actually replaces my baggie full of water. But now I can push a button and get one drop at a time when I am ready for it, which works well for me. And I still place my 2 flashes on either side of the baking tray for the lighting. That's done with commander mode. So my $400 dollar baggie just makes it easier for me to drop the drops exactly when I want them to instead of the constant dripping of the baggie. Let me attach a setup that I have used forever before I got the stop shot, this is how I have acquired most of my waterdrops. I don't have the flashes setting there but one would be aimed at the little glue stick in the middle of the tray and one would be aimed at the blue background for the color... The glue stick is for the focusing...Let me know if you need detailed instructions and I can pm them for you....I'm glad you like my work.

Darlene

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Tue 05-Feb-13 11:48 PM
919 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#23. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 22

Thornton, US

It looks simple enough but it must have taken a lot of practice to know when to snap the picture. I am assuming you meant $4.00 baggie. whats at the tip of the bag to make it drip

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Wed 06-Feb-13 04:36 PM
#24. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 23

US

Hey Francine, know not $4.00 baggie, I was actually making a funny, I'm referring to me going all out and buying the $400.00 "Stop-Shot" set up that I thought would be easier for me to get the shots I wanted, only to see that a 25 cent zip-lock baggie would get me the same shot....Don't get me wrong, the stop shot allows me now to press a button and get one drop at a time, or two if I need, but since that is all I am using it for it was a little pricey for just luxury. The red thing at the bottom of that baggie is simply a push pin. I use it to poke a hole through the bottom of my baggie...Once I get everything set up, then I go ahead and take that pin out then the water starts dripping. So there isn't anything staying at the bottom of the baggie, the drips start flowing....Hope that explains it.

Darlene

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Wed 06-Feb-13 10:25 PM
#25. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 24

Thornton, US

I am going to try that one day. I am leaving for florida to visit my sister next wednesday and am stopping at Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, Jacksonville Zoo and then over to Cape Coral. Sanabel Island and St Petersburg. Lots of birding. Thanks for telling me your secrets.
I went to Lock and Dam 14 couople weeks ago and with over 950 shots I deleted almost all and maybe had 3 keepers. I still have more practice to do with in flight. It was amazing to watch the eagles.

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Sat 09-Mar-13 09:41 AM
2549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

Darlene,

Your foot picture is spectacular, a combination of 2% inspiration and 98% perspiration, as Edison used to put it.

I was directed to this forum, which I seldom visit now, by Scotty who mentioned your photos in this thread

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=175&topic_id=97792&mesg_id=97792&page=

I am aware that my first attempt at capturing liquid drops have no artistic merit, and I posted the pics to tell about TriggerTrap, which can be used to trigger the camera after an adjustable delay after a drop falls past the sensor. It is not clear to me how you trigger your camera, and what is the function of the "Stop-Shot"?

Regards, Antero

P.S. Rest assured that with or without this fabulous shot you will not be forgotten :)

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Mon 11-Mar-13 04:45 PM
#27. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 26

US

Hey Antero, I checked your milk drops,,,not bad, not bad at all..I've never heard of a triggertrap...sounds pretty scary to me...I trigger my camera manually by using my remote....and the stop shot, is just my advanced method of my baggie. Not sure if you have read or remember, my first attempt at waterdrop photography was with a baggie full of water suspended above my baking glass for of liquid,,usually colored water. I then would use a needle and poke a hole in the bottom of the baggie and let the drops begin...
Now, I've gotten lazy and didn't feel like filling up the bag every time it ran dry which when it is constantly dripping water, it doesn't take long. So I got on line and figured out what else was out there and ran across this site that sold this contraption for waterdrop photography...What I'm using the most is the container that holds my water. It is a round tube that I can fill up with water and the drops are released one by one whenever I pushed the button on a controller that sits on my table. Even though the cost was high, it has been well worth it for me...And as I stated before, I am certainly not yet using it to it's full potential...So all I use it for is to replace my cheap 1 cent baggie....but it's way neater than running to the sink every 5 minutes.
This machine also has the potential to set off my flashes, I'm still working on that yet. So I typically leave my flash on my camera and go from there....I am finding that darker colored water are making the drops a lot sharper than the plain water itself...
any questions.....you know where I live,,,well not really, I'm on here.....heheheehe

Darlene

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Tue 12-Mar-13 06:46 PM
2549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 27

Vantaa, FI

Darlene,

thank your for the explanation and more wisdom. I may play more with liquid drops later, but now I try to teach the Triggertrap to catch wildlife.

Regards, Antero

bobdptro Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2009Wed 13-Mar-13 03:39 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 0

Boston, US

Hi Darlene... I've always enjoyed your photos. Especially the flag photos. And it's very kind of you to share the techniques of thephotographing. Hope you don't mind me playing with your photos. I made a frog for my desktop...

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Thu 14-Mar-13 12:34 AM
#30. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 29

US

Oh my,,,,,,,,,,,,how cool is that!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I'm flattered it's on your desktop.,,,,I must be doing something right......that is really neat...and kind of funny too......

Darlene

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Thu 14-Mar-13 09:39 AM
4864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 29

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

that is so cool - you 2 should go into business...

LIKE me on Facebook

Alex

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Sat 16-Mar-13 01:36 AM
#32. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 31

US

Hey thanks Alex, and some of your photos on facebook are AMAZING!!!!

Darlene

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Sat 16-Mar-13 11:41 AM
#33. "RE: ONE TIME SHOT"
In response to Reply # 32

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

Thanks for looking Darleen and thanks for your kind words...

LIKE me on Facebook

Alex

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252338 Previous topic | Next topic