Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252314
View in linear mode

Subject: "Memory cards and other miscellaneous questions" Previous topic | Next topic
mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Wed 09-Jan-13 08:19 PM
637 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Memory cards and other miscellaneous questions"
Thu 10-Jan-13 12:31 AM by mkbee1

West Valley, US

Hey, knowledgeable Nikonians;
When I bought my D90, the guy sold me a 16 GB class 10 memory card. I about choked when I saw the remaining exposure count was 2,100 shooting JPEG Fine,and Large! HOLY PIXELS, Batman!

That many sounds great, but, I think I'd a lot rather have fewer,(eggs in one basket, and all that) and I see there are 4GB class 6 memory cards available, which will give me 500+ exposures...about like a 2GB did in my D50. One card almost did me for a 9 day trip to Hawaii.

Are class 6 cards sufficiently fast for the D90, or should I go with the class 10s?

Now, for the next one:

Are the GGS-type LCD covers necessary? They seem to be made of glass, and permanently adhered to the camera. I'm using the plastic one that comes with the D90, and it seems good, but clunky-looking. I'm not sure about durability,though.

I had the LCD on my D50 covered with PDF screen-protection film for about 3 years, and finally removed it, because it got tatty, and made the image slightly "soft". No problems since I took it off, though, and the screen is still in excellent shape,after about 7 years.
Any recommendations?

Thanx.
C.

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Memory cards and other miscellaneous questions
quenton8 Silver Member
09th Jan 2013
Rassie Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
Izzie Gold Member
11th Jan 2013
Scotty Silver Member
11th Jan 2013
blw Moderator
13th Jan 2013
km6xz Moderator
14th Jan 2013

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Wed 09-Jan-13 11:41 PM
1275 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Memory cards and other miscellaneous questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Well, I use 4Gb and 8Gb memory cards and I rotate them (I have about 10) every time I do a full day of shooting -- more often if I do something critical like a wedding.

How many you can get on a card depends on whether you shoot RAW or JPEG or both, and what level of JPEG you use.

I shoot RAW, and a 4Gb is enough for me before I switch to the next one.

As to the LCD covers (I think that is what you are talking about) -- I removed mine within a few minutes of getting my D90 -- I kept it in case I changed my mind, but it does look clunky and seems a bit overkill, so away it goes. I do clean my LCD screen with an LCD lens-pen every few weeks -- it does have a few minor scratches, but nothing that bothers me!

----
Dennis Smith.

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 10-Jan-13 12:29 PM
2950 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Memory cards and other miscellaneous questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

I have had the Nikon-supplied plastic cover on my D70S, D90, and now on the D7000. Who cares about how it looks? How it looks doesn't make me a better photographer. It has protected my lcd's and kept them in pristine condition, and that to me is all that matters. One of them broke once when the camera got a bump, but the lcd was fine.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

Izzie Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2011Fri 11-Jan-13 07:47 AM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Memory cards and other miscellaneous questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Chesterfield, US

I am with quenton8 about memory cards use. I rotate mine everytime I have a shoot too.

As for the LCD glass, I have them both in my D90 and D300S. It protects my screen from scratches.

No recommendations at all as what you mentioned are also those that I use.

Fly safe, drive safe and keep safe.
G'day and G'lock....
Izzie

GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS
My Nikonians Gallery

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Fri 11-Jan-13 02:19 PM
4842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Memory cards and other miscellaneous questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

I use 4Gb cards - several and us them in rotation. Never one only always change them regularly... Also never fill one - change when convenient. Nothing worse than a full card at a critical moment.

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 13-Jan-13 10:05 PM
26778 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Memory cards and other miscellaneous questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

You'll find that as time goes by, the smaller cards fall by the wayside. Try finding a 1GB card now, for example - probably can't do it. It's pretty hard to find 4GB CF cards now; 8GB will be the minimum soon. Part of this is being driven by the underlying technology: whereas once it took N of a low-density chip to make a given capacity, now it may take just one with current densities. When the next fab line becomes operational, it'll surely be higher density, so the capacity of the products will become greater, whether you need it to do that or not!

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 14-Jan-13 08:29 AM
3357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Memory cards and other miscellaneous questions"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

My general rule of thumb is to use as small a card to accommodate the highest number of images I am willing to risk.
After working for a long time in another field that risked major investments in time and money on a session, having a media failure can range from very irritating to catastrophic. The size of the card that would fit that limit of risk take would change with different file size cameras. The 90 it was 2 or 4gig cards, with the D800 it is 8-16gig cards.
All media fails at some time and it is designed-in to the cards that they have a finite life(although that is a pretty high write cycle count). User's opinions fall into two camps, those who have never had a media failure and don't anything wrong with filling a 64gig card, and those who have been seriously hurt by media failure and would not risk that again. I fall into the latter camp and it cost me $100,000 in out of pocket costs to correct but that was back with $100,000 was a lot more money than it is today. It is also why no pro would take an assignment with a single point of failure such as shooting with only one camera or one power source or one needed cable or light source. There are lessons in that for us amateurs also.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252314 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.