Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252302
View in linear mode

Subject: "Does my D90 have a problem or is it me?" Previous topic | Next topic
JBD90 Registered since 24th Nov 2011Mon 07-Jan-13 07:54 PM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Does my D90 have a problem or is it me?"

US

I can format my SD card from the menu screen but If I push both buttons on the camera with the red symbol. The trash can and the other one?? The screen flashes for or something a few times and I release the buttons. Nothing happens. I thought I was doing it correctly. Is something wrong?

Thanks, JB

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Does my D90 have a problem or is it me?
mfphoto1
07th Jan 2013
OnTERRYo Silver Member
08th Jan 2013
IanCT
08th Jan 2013
mkbee1 Silver Member
08th Jan 2013
IanCT
08th Jan 2013

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Mon 07-Jan-13 07:56 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Does my D90 have a problem or is it me?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

once they start to flash you have to press the combo again to get the camera to format the card.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Tue 08-Jan-13 02:36 AM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Does my D90 have a problem or is it me?"
In response to Reply # 1

Hamilton, CA

Hi John.

Sorry to hear you are having difficulty.
Is it possible that the SD card is bad?
You could try searching the existing forums
and search on, say, SD CARD.
I know there has been some discussions within this website.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Tue 08-Jan-13 06:06 AM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Does my D90 have a problem or is it me?"
In response to Reply # 0

SF Bay, US

"FOR" means format. It's flashing so that you have to press the sane two buttons again to actually erase the card. It's a failsafe measure so that you don't erase the card on accident.

Just press and hold the two buttons until FOR flashes, release and press them again simultaneously. FOR will stay solid for a second or two and then go back to the remaining number of exposures on the card. Card has been formatted.

Side note: I always format the card in-camera, never on the computer. And I'll do it twice. I forget why, but it was recommended by another Nikonian.

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Tue 08-Jan-13 02:37 PM
637 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Does my D90 have a problem or is it me?"
In response to Reply # 3

West Valley, US

Don't feel bad...the same thing happened to me when I first got my D90, and the manual doesn't help. Nikonians came through, though!

I used to format my cards two or three times, like the owner of a local camera store taught in a photo class I took. I guess the theory being the subsequent formattings would clean up any missed pixels. It sounded good to my darkroom-trained mind, but, what did I know?

A fellow Nikon shooter, who is also an IT manager for a large company, told me that it really doesn't help, and gave an explanation I didn't rally understand, so now, I only format once. (When when he is around!) hee hee

Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Tue 08-Jan-13 02:59 PM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Does my D90 have a problem or is it me?"
In response to Reply # 4

SF Bay, US

Yeah, formatting only makes the files hidden and overwritable - it doesn't make them completely gone. I've been able to recover files from a card after it's been formatted.

Somehow formatting twice makes it feel cleaner.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252302 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.