Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252264
View in linear mode

Subject: "Upgrade question" Previous topic | Next topic
DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Sat 29-Dec-12 03:39 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Upgrade question"

Johns Creek, US

My main camera that I like to shoot family with is my D5100. I have a D70 as a backup, and I use it for anything that I don't plan to print, plus some small events, like motorcycle races, car shows, etc. I have always been happy with it.

My question is, should I sell my D70 and upgrade it to a D90 (what would I gain - I would lose my 1/500 flash sync), OR should I part with my D5100 and upgrade it to a D7000 (gain the flash commander)?
I can't go FX yet, and most of my lenses are AF-S.

While I'll probably upgrade both eventually, which combo would you choose and why?
D5100 and D90
D7000 and D70

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Upgrade question
Kidkett Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
DavidN4 Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
MEMcD Moderator
30th Dec 2012
DavidN4 Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
quenton8 Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
blw Moderator
30th Dec 2012
Kvad
30th Dec 2012
mkbee1 Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
micolhart Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
quenton8 Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
micolhart Silver Member
01st Jan 2013
HenkB Silver Member
01st Jan 2013
Andy47
18th Jan 2013
cwils02 Gold Member
18th Jan 2013

Kidkett Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Sun 30-Dec-12 01:21 AM
434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Upgrade question"
In response to Reply # 0

Campo, US

Hi David,

Is there something that your cameras don’t do that you want them to do now? You haven’t said why you want to upgrade to one of the other two cameras. If these cameras do everything you want them to do I would suggest buying some new fast glass than spend it on a new body. It will make more of an impact on your pictures.

If there is something missing that your camera won’t do, then I would buy the D7000 as it is the newer technology and has a great IQ and take really great pictures. Although there is nothing wrong with the D90, the D7000 is just put out some great pictures. Look in the galleries and look at the pictures it put out.

But if your cameras do everything you want now, buy a new lens that will outlast whatever body you buy now 8 to 1! Then buy a new body when your cameras can't do something you want it to do.

Happy Shooting,
Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Sun 30-Dec-12 01:58 AM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Upgrade question"
In response to Reply # 1

Johns Creek, US

I already have the 17-55 and an 80-200 af-s plus 35 and 85 1.8.
I just think that the d70 is getting a little long in the tooth and the d5100 does have the flash commander for my sb800s.
Maybe upgrade the d70 to a d300s? NAS is always the issue.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 30-Dec-12 11:17 AM
25741 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Upgrade question"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi David,

>I just think that the d70 is getting a little long in the
>tooth and the d5100 does have the flash commander for my
>sb800s.

The D5100 does Not have Commander mode built-in.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Sun 30-Dec-12 05:43 PM
#7. "RE: Upgrade question"
In response to Reply # 3

Johns Creek, US

>Hi David,
>
>
>>I just think that the d70 is getting a little long in the
>>tooth and the d5100 does have the flash commander for my
>>sb800s.
>
>The D5100 does Not have Commander mode built-in.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!
>
I meant to say that it doesn't. Its probably the thing that irks me the most, followed by not having the same controls as the d70.

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sun 30-Dec-12 11:41 PM
1222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Upgrade question"
In response to Reply # 7

Toronto, CA

So in my neck of the woods, a D90 goes for $550 and a D7000 for $799.

Just over $200 -- I would go for the 7000 for that difference, it would likely pay in the long-run.

I don't own a 7000, I own a D90 -- my ambition is higher -- a D800, so I will have to wait for a bit. However, when I bought my D90 it was between a 5100 and a 90, I chose the 90 and never regretted it, despite the >$500 difference.

----
Dennis Smith.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 30-Dec-12 03:52 PM
26590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Upgrade question"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Until you have a compelling reason why you must upgrade, I wouldn't. Without the compelling reason - whatever is compelling in your photographic context - this is just NAS.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Kvad Registered since 29th Sep 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 03:58 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Upgrade question"
In response to Reply # 0

Bergen, NO

If you do use your backup camera a lot, upgrading the D70 to a D90 seems substantial - the D5100 to the D7000 not so much (unless there are specific funtions that would make your life better).

I know it's not the question you asked, but if you do want to go FX at some point, I think you'd get more out of saving up for that (as long as you don't mind the added weight).

If you're happy with your current equipment, I would think there are plenty of other things to throw money at : )

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 05:21 PM
616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Upgrade question"
In response to Reply # 5
Sun 30-Dec-12 05:23 PM by mkbee1

West Valley, US

I've had my D90 about a week ,and am reading manuals, etc, learning how to use it. Really cold weather and a blasted head cold have kept me indoors, but I like it a lot, because there are several things that in my mind are upgrades from my D 50, which now my wife has appropriated.

I may miss the 1/500 sec flash sync speed, but not yet. It wasn't fast enough to eliminate all of the ghost image from some hummingbird photos with my D50, but did realy well, and 1/200 sec will be adequate for most things, I think.

First, the focusing is upgraded...11 sensors instead of the 5 for the D 50 or D70, and , it seems to focus faster. The camera's default focus setting is a marvel to me...but I'm still a bit uncomfortable with it, after 50+ years of using some sort of rangefinder/central spot/split image focusing device, but it will become more of a fit with use. The manual doesn't seem to adequately explain what it does, or why.

A big thing for me, though, is the ability to use my AF-D lenses, my Tokina 100 Macro, and any others of a newer type I may wish to buy. When someone speaks of "old" design, or technology, I always think; "Compared to what?" Bypassed or obsoleted with the more bells and whistles of newer cameras, which were added to give the competiton one in the eye, perhaps, but,"new and improved" is usually a ploy from the marketing department to make us dissatisfied with what we have, and "need" a new toy. Perhaps, but the D90 is still a formidable piece of technology, capable of excellent work.

I used my office's D 70 before I retired, and it always seemed a bit large to me. The D 50 and D90 are both smaller,iirc, and just fit me better.

Of course, the Megapixels are higher than either the D70 or D50, which will be handy for enlargements/cropping of my images.

And the capability for Commander flash with my SB 600, Monochrome (Black-and-White) photography,with fiter effects I can dial in, and multiple exposure capability are all very subjective, but part of the things I thought I would like to have, that my D50 can't do.

I don't believe you will be disappointed if you do decide to upgrade.

Good Luck!
Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

micolhart Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 12:24 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Upgrade question"
In response to Reply # 6

Gilford, US

It would appear the question at hand is the same dilemma that I am wrestling with. I have a D90 and like it. I have a 18-200MM lens and a 50MM 1.4G both Nikon lenes. We are planning a trip and will add Tokina 11-16 MM, the jury is still out on the Tokina. I want to upgrade to a full frame Nikon. Why?? Something new!!! Boys and toys. A want not a need.
After reading the replies to the original question, I really have no good reason to spend the extra money on a new camera or on a new any thing. I have no intention of doing any thing professionally. I am retired, so it will be travel and family pictures.
So, great advise as always.

Mike

SEMPER FI
Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue
Marine Corp Monument, Washington,DC

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Mon 31-Dec-12 07:51 PM
1222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Upgrade question"
In response to Reply # 10

Toronto, CA

Yes -- I WANT an FX too -- a D800!!! (maybe buy down to a D600 )

But I have no real need!! for it -- just want it.

My best argument (being past retirement age but still working) is that I will need to replace my D90 one day, so might as well do it while I am still working and get something that will last me.

Sounds good anyway

----
Dennis Smith.

micolhart Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Tue 01-Jan-13 12:39 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Upgrade question"
In response to Reply # 11

Gilford, US

From what I have read in the review sections and thats all that i am aware of, the D600 has problems with dust and oil on the sensor.
Take Care

SEMPER FI
Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue
Marine Corp Monument, Washington,DC

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Tue 01-Jan-13 06:53 PM
536 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Upgrade question"
In response to Reply # 11

Wayland, US

I just 'bought down' upgrading from D90 to D600. Well, hardly. D600 is a marvelous camera and I am thrilled. I wanted (and needed) superior low-light performance and that's what I got, among other things.

Back on-thread, reacting to the OP's question, if I had answered all the questions suggested about how a new camera might serve to resolve current problems, I'd probably plump for a D7000, essentially replacing the D70 (a camera I love and the one with which I started my DSLR adventure), which last can still take perfectly fine images when used within its capabilities. It's just that those capabilities are substantially constrained compared to those of the D90 or, even more so, the D7000. Family photos are often taken inside and flash is not always the most beautiful solution to a tender moment.

Best,

Hendrik

Andy47 Registered since 20th Aug 2011Fri 18-Jan-13 12:04 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Upgrade question"
In response to Reply # 13

Albuquerque, US

I own both a D5100 and a D90. Granted, the controls are more convenient on the D90, but the only real difference I see is the clearer view screen on the D90. Commander? I used it and then switched to radio controls--my Phottix Strato II didn't cost that much and is more dependable than the line-of-sight Commander mode. So, generally, I use the D90 for studio work and the D5100 for landscape and low-light shooting.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Fri 18-Jan-13 05:31 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Upgrade question"
In response to Reply # 10

HIXSON, US

Semper Fi Mike,

If you are having any thoughts of full-frame,why would you buy the Tokina 11-16? It is a DX lens.

Charlie

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252264 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.