Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252251
View in linear mode

Subject: "New D90 focusing problem?" Previous topic | Next topic
mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Wed 26-Dec-12 03:29 AM
637 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New D90 focusing problem?"
Wed 26-Dec-12 04:38 AM by mkbee1

West Valley, US

I just got my D90, and am getting acquainted with it. For the majority of my work, I want to set the focus like on my my D50; center focus point, and change modes between Continuous focusing, Single point, and Dynamic/Auto area, as the need arises.

I have attempted to follow the instructions in the manual, the D90 Quick Guide, Magic Lantern guide, and Ken Rockwell's D90 user guide,and I get some strange results.

If I am reading the manual correctly, the default (two-button reset) is Central point focus, and AF-A.

What I get is a central point that lights up sometimes, usually in lower light, with some of the peripheral sensors lighting up at ramdom times, or the focus system will pick up an object that the center point is not covering. Example: I focus on the printer screen that is about 5 feet from where I am, and the focus sensor lights up for the computer, which is closer. Or, I focus on a carton label, and the sensors light up for for a storage cube right next to it.

Now, am I having focus problems, or is that just the way the D90 works?

Can anyone with a D90 tell me what I am doing wrong? Is it time to call Nikon, or exchange the camera?

Should I consider the Nikonian's Guide to Mastering the D90?
Thanks;
Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Gray_star Registered since 17th Dec 2012Wed 26-Dec-12 05:59 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New D90 focusing problem?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The reason that you have multiple focus points lighting up is because the camera is in the "Auto" AF-Area mode. This is the factory default setting for AF-Area. See page 173 of the English D90 manual to learn more about AF-Area.

The Two-Button Reset does not reset the AF-Area mode. If you have the AF-Area mode of "Auto" selected, then the camera selects the focus point automatically, and there is no resetting of the selected focus point to center because there is no selected focus point.

Only in the AF-Area modes of Single Point, Dynamic, and 3D-Tracking does the focus point get reset to the center. You can then use the Multi-Selector to move the focus point (provided that your Focus Selector Lock isn't set to "L".)

The D90 manual has a great deal of good info in it. It's biggest problem is that the writing is information dense. That is, they compact lots of technical detail into few words. It's best to read the manual text slowly, reading and understanding each word before moving to the next. Just about everything you need to know is in the manual.

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Wed 26-Dec-12 09:21 PM
637 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New D90 focusing problem?"
In response to Reply # 1

West Valley, US

Got it figured out...thanks! I was reading in the wrong place!

Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252251 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.