Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252244
View in linear mode

Subject: "question about extension tubes" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Sat 22-Dec-12 07:13 PM
1423 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"question about extension tubes"

US

Hi everyone, and merry christmas to all my friends on here. Just a simple question about my extension tubes I just got. I ditched my other cheapo ones and went for the kenko extension tubes. The cheap ones I bought last year, I kind of was nervous putting them on and off my macro lens because they just were soooo terribly tight that I was afraid I was going to damage either my camera or my lens. Anyway, just got the kenko tubes and while they are much easier getting on and off, I am finding that I can't manual focus. It won't let me turn my focus ring on my 105 macro. It feels like I need to force the lens to focus,,and I don't want to do that. It sounds almost like a grinding sound. I made sure I had my lens set to manual focus, so that isn't the problem...Not sure what else to do. It will let me manual focus if I have only 1 of the tubes on, but not with two...I didn't even try it with all three...Any ideas?

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: question about extension tubes
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses
22nd Dec 2012
pasknucklehead Silver Member
23rd Dec 2012
Pete Wilson Gold Member
23rd Dec 2012
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
23rd Dec 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses
23rd Dec 2012
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing.
23rd Dec 2012

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 22-Dec-12 10:58 PM
3309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: question about extension tubes"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 22-Dec-12 11:12 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hi Darlene,
I think you're going to have to figure this out by the process of elimination. The first thing I would do is to remove the tubes from your D90 body. Then one by one add the tubes to the lens and see if the focus ring turns freely while it's off the body. You should be able to see if one of the tubes is binding. If everything turns freely off the body then attach the tubes and lens to the D90 and see if it focuses. Make sure the little AF/MF switch is turned to MF.

I have the Kenko tubes and a D80 which should be close enough. But I don't have your lens. My AF 105mm f2.8 lens manually focuses just fine when the lens is set to MF. It turns quite freely with all the tubes attached and mounted on the body. In my case I don't have to set the body switch to MF but you may have to.

edit: I forgot to ask. Is your lens HSM or screw drive? I assumed it was screw drive.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Sun 23-Dec-12 01:57 AM
1423 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: question about extension tubes"
In response to Reply # 1

US

You know that's one thing I don't know. If it's hsm or screw drive. I looked at the lens, but it doesn't say....and I looked online, but one says hsm and one says screw mount. But I will try the elimination process. I know the lens focus ring turns freely with nothing added, and I will start adding one by one, see if that shows anything....thanks

Darlene

Pete Wilson Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Jun 2004Sun 23-Dec-12 02:46 AM
867 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: question about extension tubes"
In response to Reply # 2

Lake Orion, US

If its HSM then it doesn't even use the screw drive. HSM lenses have their own focus motor built in them. The pictures of the sigma 105 macros with HSM on them all had the lettering HSM on the lens.

Like Len said, your going to have to do trial and error. Try each extension tube by itself on the camera with that lens and see if it works. This will tell you if it is just one tube and which one it is. BTW, I have had my kenko extension tubes for about 6 years and I have yet to ever need to use more than one at a time.

Pete Wilson
Nikonian from Lake Orion, Michigan
My Nikonians gallery

Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 23-Dec-12 03:36 PM
26835 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: question about extension tubes"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

The sigma 105 either has both HSM and OS or it has neither. I don't think you have the OS version, so I'm pretty sure yours is a screwdriver AF model.

Do the kenko tubes even have screwdriver coupling?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 23-Dec-12 04:25 PM
3309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: question about extension tubes"
In response to Reply # 4

Hatboro, Pa, US

Brian, I've had Kenko tubes for many years. They have both screwdriver and AF/AFS focusing support.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 23-Dec-12 04:40 PM
6168 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: question about extension tubes"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Also set AF to manual on the camera body, particularly if it is a screwdriver lens.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252244 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.