Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252237
View in linear mode

Subject: "D80 Mode Dial icons" Previous topic | Next topic
snapper49 Registered since 20th Dec 2012Thu 20-Dec-12 03:12 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D80 Mode Dial icons"

GB

The icons on the top of my D80 mode dial have rubbed off. I have bought a new replacement part from the USA (just the thin plastic cap about the size of a dime), but it came with no instructions as to how to remove the old one.
Is it just stuck down? If so what is the best way to remove it without damaging the rest of the dial and/or camera.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D80 Mode Dial icons
rwsteve66
21st Dec 2012
rwsteve66
21st Dec 2012
snapper49
09th Jan 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
22nd Dec 2012
kendo1
31st Dec 2012

rwsteve66 Registered since 19th Feb 2011Fri 21-Dec-12 05:23 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D80 Mode Dial icons"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

If you go to this page it show how the cap relates to the mode dial & the mode cover ring: http://www.procamerarepair.com/search.asp?keyword=+D80+mode+dial&search.x=16&search.y=12

It looks like it might just be glued on & maybe would come off with the edge of a razor or ex-acto knife??? If you go to YouTube & search for: "How to replace top cover LCD window on a DSLR Nikon D70" there's a video showing how to do that & there might be a video on replacing the cap.... Hope this helps a little...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rwsteve66 Registered since 19th Feb 2011Fri 21-Dec-12 06:11 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D80 Mode Dial icons"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 21-Dec-12 06:12 PM by rwsteve66

Phoenix, US

Here's a couple more possibilities: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D40-D40X-D50-D60-D70-D70S-D80-D90-D10-D200-D300-D1X-D2X-D2HS-Repair-Manual-/261141269452?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccd3b8bcc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D70-or-D80-or-D90-Service-Repair-Manual-/321044666644?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abfc0d914

Cost a little though for a simple repair, not sure if it covers dial mode cap replacement...

snapper49 Registered since 20th Dec 2012Wed 09-Jan-13 10:06 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D80 Mode Dial icons"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Thanks for the useful suggestions. I had actually bought the dial cap from Procamerarepair.com and have since referred back to them. They helpfully emailed me a copy of the D80 Spare Parts Manual, which shows a diagram of the dial mode assembly with part numbers. Nikon Repair centre in UK then confirmed that the icon cap is attached to the body of the dial with double sided tape. Knowing this, I have now successfully removed the worn cap and replaced it with the new one.
Job done.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 22-Dec-12 12:44 AM
3048 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D80 Mode Dial icons"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

I'm surprised the mode dial rubbed off at all. I don't recall ever touching that part of the camera. To prevent this happening in the future you should change the way you hold your camera while shooting. Try this.

http://www.geofflawrence.com/holding_the_camera.html

Len

kendo1 Registered since 19th Dec 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 08:54 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D80 Mode Dial icons"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Are you left-handed?

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252237 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.