nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252221
View in linear mode

Subject: "Really dumb question!" Previous topic | Next topic
mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Sat 15-Dec-12 09:03 PM
663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Really dumb question!"
Sat 15-Dec-12 09:09 PM by mkbee1

West Valley, US

I'm saving my money to buy a D90...it's way more complicated than my D50, but has a couple of features that I would like. I bought a Magic Lantern Guide on daBay, and am studying it in preparation for the great day, but I am confused.

Pictures on pages 141 and 149 show the D90 power switch, with the standard off and on positions, but it looks like there is another position, marked by a small light bulb icon. What does that do? I can't seem to find a reference to it anywhere.

What are the opinions on the Nikonians' D 90 guide? Better than the Magic Lantern offering?

Thanx;
Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Really dumb question!
mfphoto1
15th Dec 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
15th Dec 2012
mkbee1 Silver Member
15th Dec 2012
kelmon Silver Member
16th Dec 2012
mkbee1 Silver Member
28th Dec 2012
Gray_star
28th Dec 2012
OnTERRYo Silver Member
28th Dec 2012
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
28th Dec 2012
D90thomas
29th Dec 2012
kendo1
31st Dec 2012
mkbee1 Silver Member
01st Jan 2013

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 15-Dec-12 09:08 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Really dumb question!"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

I think that illuminates the top panel.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 15-Dec-12 11:08 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Really dumb question!"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

There is the Nikonian Press's Mastering the Nikon D90. See the pinned post at the top of this forum.

If you have registered your D50 with Nikon and established a Nikon account, you can download a copy of the D90 user manual.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Sat 15-Dec-12 11:42 PM
663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Really dumb question!"
In response to Reply # 2

West Valley, US

George and MFPHOTO1:

Thanks for the replies. I finally found one tiny reference, on P. 35 of the Guide, and it does illuminate the control panel.

Although the Nikonians Press' D90 book is 3 years old, Amazon still offers copies, and I will be ordering one after the first of the year. I will see if I can download the D90 manual from Nikon, too.

Thanks again.
Carl

kelmon Silver Member Nikonian since 28th May 2010Sun 16-Dec-12 12:23 AM
157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Really dumb question!"
In response to Reply # 0

sunriver, US

It illuminates both the top and rear panels. I use it all the time.

Marcus
Central Oregon Nikonian

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Fri 28-Dec-12 04:06 AM
#5. "RE: Really dumb question!"
In response to Reply # 4

West Valley, US

Received my D90, and am busily reading manuals and guides. I LIKE it! Now if the snow will just quit so I can go shoot something!

Gray_star Registered since 17th Dec 2012Fri 28-Dec-12 04:36 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Really dumb question!"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Received my D90, and am busily reading manuals and guides. I
>LIKE it! Now if the snow will just quit so I can go shoot
>something!

Why don't you shoot the snow?

Congrats on the new D90. I really like mine. Make sure you download the D90 PDF from Nikon. Even though it's old, its performance is still extremely good (better than any new crop sensor Canon) and its menu and general interface is modern. The new Nikon D4 has one feature I really want on my D90...and that's about it. Otherwise, except to go full-frame, I have no lust for any newer Nikon. It's a good camera.

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Fri 28-Dec-12 03:14 PM
531 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Really dumb question!"
In response to Reply # 6

Hamilton, CA

Hi Carl.

Congratulations on joining and especially your D90.
That is what my A camera is.
(my B is a D70)

>>I LIKE it! Now if the snow will just quit so I can go shoot something!<<
The winter and snow is one of the best opportunities you could have for shooting. Looking forward to some of your images.

Terry.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Fri 28-Dec-12 11:17 PM
1346 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Really dumb question!"
In response to Reply # 5

Toronto, CA

>Received my D90, and am busily reading manuals and guides. I
>LIKE it! Now if the snow will just quit so I can go shoot
>something!
I have had a D90 now for 3+ years and I love it.

I DO want to move up at some point in the future, but the D90 has been just great.

I think you will be very happy!

----
Dennis Smith.

D90thomas Registered since 31st Dec 2011Sat 29-Dec-12 05:53 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Really dumb question!"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I bought the Nikonian D90 guide and it was a great help!

kendo1 Registered since 19th Dec 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 09:43 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Really dumb question!"
In response to Reply # 9

UK

Have you checked out ken rockwell's review?

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Tue 01-Jan-13 01:10 AM
#11. "RE: Really dumb question!"
In response to Reply # 10

West Valley, US

Yes, I have, and downloaded it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Carl

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252221 Previous topic | Next topic