Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252192
View in linear mode

Subject: "NIKON D80 will not take Pictures (No Error codes, regar..." Previous topic | Next topic
sstewart780 Registered since 07th Dec 2012Fri 07-Dec-12 09:19 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NIKON D80 will not take Pictures (No Error codes, regardless of settings/lenses)"

CA

Hi All,

I am new to this forum but have a pressing question. All of the suddon, my Nikon D80 started refusing to take pictures. There is no error code displayed. It is almost as if there is no response from the shutter release button. I have listed some information below in point form:

-When depressing the Shutter Release button in any Camera mode, regardless of settings there is no response, no error code, etc.

-If I select the play button or menu buttons (to turn the display screen on) and then press the shutter release, the screen will switch off (as normal) so the button does appear to be working as I can generate a response from it. However, upon returning to Camera mode (screen turning off) the button stops responding.

-If I depress Scene button (lower left hand side of the lense, on base of camera), the mirror will actuate and make the normal "click" sound. Nothing sounds off with the mirror actuation. Everything inside the body moves freely.

-Attempted resetting multiple times both in the menu options and the physical reset button. No result/change in camera.

-Attempted a different lense, no result or change in the camera.

-Nothing is displayed on the screen when the shutter release is pressed, no errors, or any other information.

Anything you guys can do to assist would be greatly appreciated. I really need to have this functioning again before the holidays. Thanks in advance, I understand its a tall order for my first post!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NIKON D80 will not take Pictures (No Error codes, r...
OnTERRYo Silver Member
08th Dec 2012
sstewart780
08th Dec 2012
James23p Moderator
08th Dec 2012
sstewart780
08th Dec 2012
sstewart780
08th Dec 2012

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Sat 08-Dec-12 12:24 AM
517 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NIKON D80 will not take Pictures (No Error codes, regardless of settings/lenses)"
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, CA

Hi Steven.

Welcome to Nikonians.

Sorry you are having difficulties with your D80.
I have a D90 but they should be similar.
Is there a chance that it is in Manual mode?

Hope this helps.
Terry.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

sstewart780 Registered since 07th Dec 2012Sat 08-Dec-12 12:31 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NIKON D80 will not take Pictures (No Error codes, regardless of settings/lenses)"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

>Hi Steven.
>
>Welcome to Nikonians.
>
>Sorry you are having difficulties with your D80.
>I have a D90 but they should be similar.
>Is there a chance that it is in Manual mode?
>
>Hope this helps.
>Terry.

Hey

Thank you for the welcome, I have updated the post with more information. This happens in any mode, regardless of settings. Manual Mode will ALSO only work with the above procedure....

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Sat 08-Dec-12 01:17 AM
9121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: NIKON D80 will not take Pictures (No Error codes, regardless of settings/lenses)"
In response to Reply # 3

Memphis, US

Have you tried a factory reset? This sometimes works with strange and erratic behavior.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

sstewart780 Registered since 07th Dec 2012Sat 08-Dec-12 01:55 AM
#5. "RE: NIKON D80 will not take Pictures (No Error codes, regardless of settings/lenses)"
In response to Reply # 4

CA

>Have you tried a factory reset? This sometimes works with
>strange and erratic behavior.
>
>Jim

Hey Jim,

I have reset the camera using the following methods:

-Holding in the 2 buttons on the top right with the green dot beside them....no result

-Menu Reset Option...no result

-MAIN reset located next to USB port.....still no result

I have not tried re-flashing the firmware, it is already at the most up to date firmware (1.11) so I'm not sure if that would even be a possibility or if it would have any affect. I'm willing to try just about anything

sstewart780 Registered since 07th Dec 2012Sat 08-Dec-12 12:29 AM
#2. "RE: NIKON D80 will not take Pictures (No Error codes, regardless of settings/lenses)"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

UPDATE!

Okay this is a very odd situation. If I switch the lens and body to MANUAL focus it will fire. BUT, it will ONLY fire if the preview screen is on prior to depressing the shutter release. Regardless of the situation/settings, the camera will not release the flash on its own. I have listed steps to get the camera to fire below:

Switch lens and body to Manual Focus mode
Depress manual flash button
depress menu key to turn on preview screen
depress shutter release and the camera will take a photo but only under these circumstances.

So tell me guys, has my camera died or what? The pictures I can get it to take under the above circumstances are crisp and clear

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252192 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.