Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252145
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 & SB-24? " Previous topic | Next topic
flowerhead Registered since 09th Nov 2012Mon 26-Nov-12 10:42 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 & SB-24? "

US

Someone gave me an old SB-24 to play with. This would be my first venture into flash photography, other than my on-camera flash. Is it compatible with my D90? I was able to find an online source for a manual, but don't want to print and peruse it if the flash won't work with my camera.

Thanks for any into.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 & SB-24?
aolander Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
flowerhead
27th Nov 2012
limeyzen Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
flowerhead
27th Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
01st Dec 2012
flowerhead
01st Dec 2012

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 27-Nov-12 12:41 AM
3172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 & SB-24? "
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

It will work but only in manual (M) or non-TTL Auto (A) modes.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

flowerhead Registered since 09th Nov 2012Tue 27-Nov-12 02:38 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 & SB-24? "
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you. That gives me a starting point.

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Tue 27-Nov-12 01:44 PM
322 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 & SB-24? "
In response to Reply # 0

Waynesville, US

Have the same combo (but have recently bought a SB 700), anyway back in Aug 2011 I posted same question (would include link if I knew how ) and got several useful replies so you may want to do a search on this forum for "SB 24 with D90".

Regards.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

flowerhead Registered since 09th Nov 2012Tue 27-Nov-12 09:42 PM
#4. "RE: D90 & SB-24? "
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 01-Dec-12 07:02 PM
25548 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D90 & SB-24? "
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tamra,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The SB-24 supports Film TTL flash control and your D90 supports i-TTL flash control and they are not compatible with each other.
As stated above, you will be limited to Non-TTL Auto and Manual flash control.
For the most consistant results, I would recommend setting the D90 in Manual exposure mode and Manually setting the ISO.
In Non-TTL Auto flash control, set the Aperture based on the flash to subject distance using the distance scale in the SB-24's flash calculator display. As long as your subject is within the range on the scale, the images should be correctly exposed.
The same holds true for shooting in Manual flash control, though the flash to subject distance must match the distance indicated in the calculator display since the flash power is fixed.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

flowerhead Registered since 09th Nov 2012Sat 01-Dec-12 10:09 PM
#6. "RE: D90 & SB-24? "
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thank you Marty, great explanation.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252145 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.