nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Crop factor on D90 one more time!

limeyzen

Waynesville, US
391 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011
Wed 21-Nov-12 03:28 PM | edited Wed 21-Nov-12 03:54 PM by limeyzen

I know this has been addressed before (did the search, read the posts etc.) but I guess my peculiar learning challenge is getting in the way I find myself confused by the introduction (to me) of terms like FOV, AOV, FX vs DX et.al. and after a while I have a problem keeping track of all the intended helpful posts and then the subsequent dissenting opinions and around we go! It is my responsibility to get up to speed on those so not needed here but given the need to take Txgiving shots of groups let me pose my questions that hopefully result in "idiot's guide to crop factor etc 101" for me I really feel stupid for not being able to get this and hope my repeat on this topic does not cause too much frustration.

I have a D90 (steep learning curve!) and a 35-70mm F2.8 D Nikkor that I bought 15 years ago with my N90s. I have no intention of going FX in the future. My questions are:

- Is what I see through the viewfinder (sensor?) what I am going to get in the image?
- If not what is the difference and how do I compensate for it?
- If I want to add a zoom lens at the wide angle end (to partner with the 35-70) what do I have to take into account and what would be a good one for landscapes? And should it be a DX compatible lens (I guess that may change focal length suggestions?) if cost is not an issue?

Geoff

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Crop factor on D90 one more time!

G