Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252117
View in linear mode

Subject: "Crop factor on D90 one more time!" Previous topic | Next topic
limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Wed 21-Nov-12 03:28 PM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Crop factor on D90 one more time!"
Wed 21-Nov-12 03:54 PM by limeyzen

Waynesville, US

I know this has been addressed before (did the search, read the posts etc.) but I guess my peculiar learning challenge is getting in the way I find myself confused by the introduction (to me) of terms like FOV, AOV, FX vs DX et.al. and after a while I have a problem keeping track of all the intended helpful posts and then the subsequent dissenting opinions and around we go! It is my responsibility to get up to speed on those so not needed here but given the need to take Txgiving shots of groups let me pose my questions that hopefully result in "idiot's guide to crop factor etc 101" for me I really feel stupid for not being able to get this and hope my repeat on this topic does not cause too much frustration.

I have a D90 (steep learning curve!) and a 35-70mm F2.8 D Nikkor that I bought 15 years ago with my N90s. I have no intention of going FX in the future. My questions are:

- Is what I see through the viewfinder (sensor?) what I am going to get in the image?
- If not what is the difference and how do I compensate for it?
- If I want to add a zoom lens at the wide angle end (to partner with the 35-70) what do I have to take into account and what would be a good one for landscapes? And should it be a DX compatible lens (I guess that may change focal length suggestions?) if cost is not an issue?

Geoff

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Crop factor on D90 one more time!
briantilley Moderator
21st Nov 2012
limeyzen Silver Member
21st Nov 2012
briantilley Moderator
21st Nov 2012
limeyzen Silver Member
21st Nov 2012
OnTERRYo Silver Member
21st Nov 2012

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 21-Nov-12 03:56 PM
28925 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Crop factor on D90 one more time!"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Yes, what you see through the viewfinder will be what is in the image.

That's the simple answer - at the risk of introducing unnecessary detail, the viewfinder on the D90 shows about 95% of the final image because of the way it's designed. That's nothing to do with the lens or DX / FX, though - the D700 which is an FX camera does the same sort of thing.

I only mention the 95% because if it's important that you capture exactly what you see (and because someone would correct me if I left it out) then using Live View on the rear monitor would be better as that shows precisely 100%.

For a wide lens to complement the 35-70mm, you'd be looking for something with an upper focal length around 35mm - and that applies whether you'd be using the lens on a D90 or an FX camera. Maybe your best option would be the AF-S VR 16-35mm f/4G Nikkor.

However... if you really never intend to go to the FX format (and many people don't) it may be an idea to look at a single lens that could replace the 35-70mm and cover the wide end. In that case, I'd recommend looking at the AF-S DX VR 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G Nikkor, which would go as wide as the 16-35mm, AND a bit longer than the 35-70mm.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Wed 21-Nov-12 04:16 PM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Crop factor on D90 one more time!"
In response to Reply # 1

Waynesville, US

Brian,

Thank you for the prompt and clear response. Your added clarification on the 95% is very useful because I anticipate, given the room I have to work with, it being a challenge to get everyone in the shot and missing ears are not welcomed! Your comment re the Live View is also key especially since I will be using a tripod and thus it's more convenient and I now know more accurat .

Thanks also for the lens reccomendations. May I ask what made you specify those as opposed to F2.8 for example? Cost is always an issue for me but I wondered if there was anything else in your thinking. Thanks as always.

Geoff

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 21-Nov-12 06:23 PM
28925 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Crop factor on D90 one more time!"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 21-Nov-12 06:25 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

Faster (i.e. f/2.8) zooms are important for some folks, because they might need to shoot at maximum aperture at least some of the time. The older AF 20-35mm f/2.8D or AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D Nikkors would be an alternatiove to the 16-35mm if that matters to you. I'd expect image quality to be pretty similar between the three in general terms.

There isn't an f/2.8 zoom that covers the 16-70mm focal length range, so that wouldn't be an option if you needed f/2.8.

One last thing - when you bought your 35-70mm, there was probably a large gap in performance between it and the cheaper "consumer" zooms - that gap has narrowed considerably in the last 20 years.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Wed 21-Nov-12 08:33 PM
#4. "RE: Crop factor on D90 one more time!"
In response to Reply # 3

Waynesville, US

Again, thank you.

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Wed 21-Nov-12 11:15 PM
526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Crop factor on D90 one more time!"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 21-Nov-12 11:21 PM by OnTERRYo

Hamilton, CA

Hi Geoffrey.

Sometimes, in a situation like this, WikiPedia is your friend.
FOV seems to be Field Of Vision or Field Of View.
Something I have not heard of in the books/manuals I have read.
AOV did not have an answer though.
FX is "FX format, Nikon's nomenclature for the full-frame digital SLR"
(copied from WikiPedia)
And DX is digital format; their explanation seems quite informative.

Hope this helps.

Terry.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252117 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.