Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252108
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 Memory Cards & Buffer Questions" Previous topic | Next topic
Temba Registered since 28th Sep 2008Tue 20-Nov-12 05:04 PM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 Memory Cards & Buffer Questions"

Waterloo, CA

Hi I've just bought a D90 that will become my backup camera when the D400 or D600 become my main camera.
I'm looking to get a couple of quality memory cards that will be interchangeable in both cameras.
I'm wondering if a 32gig card with a 45 or 90 mb/s write speed will work on the D90 or is this size &/or speed too much for the older technology of the D90?
Also, I almost always shoot in RAW & with a slow card installed in the D90 can only get (r9)showing as the buffer count remaining, will a card with a faster write speed boost the performance of the buffer capacity at all?
Thanks,
James

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Temba Registered since 28th Sep 2008Wed 21-Nov-12 12:20 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 Memory Cards & Buffer Questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Waterloo, CA

No replys??

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 21-Nov-12 03:59 AM
26146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 Memory Cards & Buffer Questions"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jim,

>Hi I've just bought a D90 that will become my backup camera
>when the D400 or D600 become my main camera.
>I'm looking to get a couple of quality memory cards that will
>be interchangeable in both cameras.
>I'm wondering if a 32gig card with a 45 or 90 mb/s write speed
>will work on the D90 or is this size &/or speed too much
>for the older technology of the D90?

There should be no problem using the latest 32GB 95MB/sec. high speed SD cards in the D90. While the maximum write speed is limited by the camera, downloading the images from the card to your computer will be much faster than with the slower cards.

If there is a D400 I suspect that it will have a CF Card Slot as well as an SD card slot like the D300s and D800.

>Also, I almost always shoot in RAW & with a slow card
>installed in the D90 can only get (r9)showing as the buffer
>count remaining, will a card with a faster write speed boost
>the performance of the buffer capacity at all?

The card speed will not change the Buffer Size or Capacity.
Faster cards will clear the buffer faster (limited by the maximum write speed of the camera) allowing you to capture more images per unit time than if you were using a slower card.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Temba Registered since 28th Sep 2008Wed 21-Nov-12 07:46 PM
#3. "RE: D90 Memory Cards & Buffer Questions"
In response to Reply # 2

Waterloo, CA

Thanks for the reply.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252108 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.