Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252099
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 Lense Question" Previous topic | Next topic
cntrmass Registered since 20th Nov 2012Tue 20-Nov-12 12:51 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 Lense Question"
Tue 20-Nov-12 01:03 AM by cntrmass

US

Greetings, Newb to the forum.

I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered. Since they have closed all of the Ritz Camera stores in my area I have no where to go to ask questions and this seemed to be the best place to ask.

My daughter is asking for a new Nikon for Christmas and I've exhausted myself trying to find out if my lenses from my N80 will work with the D90. I've read up on the D90 and D5100 and sounds like the D90 "may" accept my old lenses but not sure.

From my N80, I have a Nikon AF NIKKOR 70-300mm and a Quantaray AF 19-35mm. Will any of these lenses work on the D90? I know this is the D90 forum, but would also like to ask if they work with the D5100 as well?

Any and all comments, suggestions welcome.

Thanks much,
Joe

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 20-Nov-12 01:16 AM
25564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 Lense Question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Joe,

Welcome to Nikonians!

Yes! Both lenses will work on the D90.
The D90 fully supports all Nikon F mount AF lenses with the exception of the 80mm f/2.8 and 200mm f/3.5 made for the F3AF back in 1993.

The D5100 doesn't have a AF motor in the camera body and requires AF-S type lenses to support AF. Therefore neither lens will AF when mounted to the D5100.

BTW:

When you get a few minutes please fill in your Last Name in your User Profile. Thanks in advance.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

cntrmass Registered since 20th Nov 2012Tue 20-Nov-12 01:09 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 Lense Question"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Marty,
Thanks much for the info.

Joe

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 20-Nov-12 02:18 PM
25564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 Lense Question"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Joe,

Your welcome.
Thank you for filling in your name.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 20-Nov-12 06:55 PM
26541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D90 Lense Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

You should also be aware that the D90 and D5100 are both DX cameras, meaning that their sensors are physically smaller than 35mm film. This means that to a first order, your old lenses behave a lot like they are 50% longer than they are. So your 70-300, while it is still a 70-300, will feel like it's a 105-450 when used on either a D90 or a D5100. That's mostly good, but it also affects wide angles. So your 19-35 will feel more like it's a 28-50.

But as far as compatibility goes, they do work, meaning metering and auto focus.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252099 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.