Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252076
View in linear mode

Subject: "RAW files without red" Previous topic | Next topic
Carmen Tulum Registered since 09th Nov 2012Thu 15-Nov-12 04:16 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RAW files without red"

Toronto, CA

A month ago, I had a batch of photos that I took in RAW & jpg. Different than before, the RAW pictures were very depleted of reds and the adjuster for vibrance & saturation could not correct this (the sliders had no effect on the reds).
Any ideas what happened here?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: RAW files without red
MEMcD Moderator
15th Nov 2012
Carmen Tulum
16th Nov 2012
Rassie Silver Member
15th Nov 2012
Carmen Tulum
15th Nov 2012
blw Moderator
16th Nov 2012
Carmen Tulum
16th Nov 2012
Carmen Tulum
16th Nov 2012
aolander Silver Member
16th Nov 2012
Carmen Tulum
16th Nov 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
17th Nov 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 15-Nov-12 08:51 PM
25562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: RAW files without red"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Carmen,

What photo editing software are you using to process the Raw images?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Carmen Tulum Registered since 09th Nov 2012Fri 16-Nov-12 12:57 AM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: RAW files without red"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

Photoshop Cs3

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Thu 15-Nov-12 09:28 PM
2828 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: RAW files without red"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

Hello Carmen. Looking at your profile I see you use a D800. If you made the pictures in question with a D800 maybe this post should go in the D800 forum?

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

Carmen Tulum Registered since 09th Nov 2012Thu 15-Nov-12 09:32 PM
#3. "RE: RAW files without red"
In response to Reply # 2

Toronto, CA

These were taken with my D80

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 16-Nov-12 10:13 AM
26541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: RAW files without red"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Did this condition happen one day and then disappear, or is this still the case? Could you post one of the originals, or a reduction of same?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Carmen Tulum Registered since 09th Nov 2012Fri 16-Nov-12 11:36 AM
#6. "RE: RAW files without red"
In response to Reply # 5

Toronto, CA

This just happened once, with a huge batch.
Is there a way to post RAW here?

Carmen Tulum Registered since 09th Nov 2012Fri 16-Nov-12 12:08 PM
#7. "RE: RAW files without red"
In response to Reply # 5

Toronto, CA

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/401937

I converted the original RAW to jpg and put this in my gallery

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 16-Nov-12 01:26 PM
3173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: RAW files without red"
In response to Reply # 7

Nevis, US

The image has reds as you can see from the histogram in the screen shot below. There is nothing that is "red", though, in the image. The reds do not change as you said, however, when using the saturation sliders, etc. Not sure why this is.

Your image was posted in Adobe RGB so it may look more "bland" than it is. Adjusted a little in LR and posted below in sRGB.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Carmen Tulum Registered since 09th Nov 2012Fri 16-Nov-12 06:57 PM
#9. "RE: RAW files without red"
In response to Reply # 8

Toronto, CA

Thank you for your reply!
Here is the jpg image (from the original jpg) after I worked it in photoshop -
I'll give you my Facebook link to the jpg image, hope this works.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.530008957026865.130048.100000532976423&type=1&l=0cadd74070

Yes, I agree, I was wrong saying there was no red in the RAW file, its just that, in comparison with the original scene and the original jpg and the modified jpg, the red was depleted (the orange was very yellowish) and, yes, it could not improve with the sliders...

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 17-Nov-12 12:51 PM
2886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: RAW files without red"
In response to Reply # 9

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hi Carmen,

I'm not a facebook member so I can't see your photo. However Photoshop can't display raw files with the Picture Control settings. So if you had Vivid set, your jpg would look much more colorful and saturated than the raw file. Look at the raw file with Nikon's View or Capture NX2 and compare it to the jpeg. They should look the same. If they don't then there is something else going on here.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252076 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.