Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252054
View in linear mode

Subject: "A happy moment!" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 12-Nov-12 04:06 AM
1372 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A happy moment!"

creekside, US

Hi everyone, I didn't know exactly what to put as the subject, so that is the best I could come up with. I know all of you on here have followed all my trials and tribulations and have seen me move up in the ranks so to speak. So I just wanted to share with you my latest triump. I have just SOLD my first FRAMED PIECE OF WORK!. I am estatic...It was actually my favorite piece. It was my flag waterdrop photo. I will attach it here. And it went for a nice price tag of $182.00. I didn't set the price, you know me, I would have given it away if someone asked me, but the gallery owner sat down with me and came up with this price via a "formula" or whatever she called it...but how bout that!!!!! I am so happy also that I got to witness the selling. I was actually there when an older gentlemen was asking the gallery owner about the print and how on earth I got that flag in those drops. She called me over and left me step in and talk with him. He was amazed at how much thought I put into it, and laughed when I told him how messy my kitchen got just working on this one photo. I was beaming all over when he carried it out the door......whoo hooo!!!! So once again, my hats off to you guys for getting me where I'm at today... Here's what the print looked like....It was framed in a walnut 11x14 frame with a ivory colored mat...It was very pretty I thought......

Darlene

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: A happy moment!
mfphoto1 Silver Member
12th Nov 2012
ChipsByAl Silver Member
12th Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
12th Nov 2012
jrp Administrator
13th Nov 2012
pasknucklehead Silver Member
13th Nov 2012
blw Moderator
13th Nov 2012
14th Nov 2012
ctdrummer Silver Member
14th Nov 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
17th Nov 2012
19th Nov 2012
SheriB Silver Member
19th Nov 2012
20th Nov 2012
Drbee Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
Nitehawk5169 Gold Member
20th Nov 2012
20th Nov 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
21st Nov 2012
23rd Nov 2012
jdphotos
24th Nov 2012
26th Nov 2012
greenwing Gold Member
26th Nov 2012
27th Nov 2012
mkbee1
26th Nov 2012
27th Nov 2012
D90thomas
15th Dec 2012

mfphoto1 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Mon 12-Nov-12 04:41 AM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

Congratulations, It's a great image.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ChipsByAl Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2009Mon 12-Nov-12 05:40 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 1

harvey, US

That is a really cool shot! Congrats too Darlene.
Al

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 12-Nov-12 10:44 PM
25007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Darlene,

Congratulations!
Very Well Done.

Best Regards,
Marty

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 13-Nov-12 06:50 AM
33927 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Excellent work!
And you sold it!
Congratulations.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Tue 13-Nov-12 04:02 PM
1372 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 4

creekside, US

Thanks guys, see persistence pays off, but I've learned something even more important. When I first started on here, I wasn't even sure I was turning the camera on correctly, well, maybe not that bad, but I was very much a beginner. I went, along with dragging you all with me, from thinking I needed new lens, to needing a better camera, flashes etc. What I ultimately learned was this: What I NEEDED was to USE my camera. It takes USING the camera to make you a better photographer. It takes actually picking it up, putting it in manual mode and actually USING it. I sat day after day, reading, looking through the internet, then more reading, but until I actually started USING my camera, did It start all coming together. I could see how each different settings affected what. I could see taking the flash off camera made a difference in lighting. I think I have learned more about my camera in the past few months than I have in the past few years, simply because I ACTUALLY USED IT. So the bottom line for me was, until you put into practice day in and day out with camera in hand, what you've learned, you will never progress. I learned step by step, but I've REALLY LEARNED by doing. And you guys have always been very patient with me and you've all helped me to evolve, for that I say THANK YOU.

Darlene

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 13-Nov-12 05:16 PM
26293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Now that is VERY, VERY cool!!!!

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Wed 14-Nov-12 04:33 PM
#7. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 6

creekside, US

Hey thanks Brian!

Darlene

ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Wed 14-Nov-12 05:23 PM
172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 0

Southern CT, US

Very nice work and congratulations on the sale!

Visit my Flickr page.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 17-Nov-12 03:18 PM
2703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nice job Darlene. You have a very creative mind. That showed early on in your photos. Now your photographic skills are catching up. That has to be so satisfying.

Regards,
Len

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 19-Nov-12 01:05 PM
#10. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 9

creekside, US

Hey thanks ctdrummer, and yes Len, it is very very satisfying. And to think this is just a small gallery, think what might be when I hit NEW YORK!!!!!!!

Darlene

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Mon 19-Nov-12 06:32 PM
1462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 10

US

I like how you think Go for it!

Sheri Becker

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Tue 20-Nov-12 01:40 AM
#12. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 11

creekside, US

Hey thanks Sheri, the skies the limit, so I hear.....

Darlene

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Tue 20-Nov-12 03:28 AM
5657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Darlene,

This is a stunning image. It's great that we've been able to follow your effort in perfecting your vision. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Best Regards,

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

Nitehawk5169 Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2010Tue 20-Nov-12 04:53 AM
346 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 0

Williamstown, US

Darlene,

Congratulations! It is a beautiful portrayal of the Stars and Stripes. I really admire the imagination that you used to work this project. I'm looking forward to see your next endeavor.

Mike

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Tue 20-Nov-12 05:18 PM
#15. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 14

creekside, US

Hey thanks Mike and Rodger, yes, I'm sure another adventure will be calling me that's for sure..... and when it does, you all will be right there on the trail with me.....

Darlene

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Wed 21-Nov-12 08:49 AM
2488 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

Congratulations. This is a very challenging picture technically. Have you described somewhere how you made it? Or is that a trade secret?

It was interesting to see you say “I would have given it away if someone asked me”. My employer asked if I could make some of my photos available for the company Christmas card and next year’s wall calendar. I could have requested some monetary compensation but I didn’t want any. I am quite pedantic in what I do, and I’m afraid that as soon as I start collecting money for what I do as a hobby, I will be obsessed with getting more and more money. That’s why I prefer keeping business and hobby totally separate. I am not pushing my values for anyone but I was glad to see a soul mate in this respect.

Best regards, Antero

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Fri 23-Nov-12 03:20 AM
#17. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 16

creekside, US

I totally agree with you Antero, I think there is a lot of people around like us who just enjoy seeing someone else admire our work. No it's not a trade secret, here is exactly how I did it:
I used my glass end table, positioned a flag right underneath it about 12 inches or so give or take. I then took some rain-x that you buy at your local walmart, sprayed that over the glass top of the table. Then I took a small syringe and very gently made the row of drops. They really didn't have to be in any sort of order and you need to make a lot of them so you have a chance to move your lens around to position the flag in the drops. That was the hardest part. You have to lay the flag down opposite of the way it should be because it will be refracted in the drops. Then I used my tripod, which I have grown to love with the ball head and tilted it so it was over top of the glass. I used my 105 macro, if I remember correctly, and focus on the flag in the drop, not the flag itself. You need to have a wide aperature so the flag is sort of out of focus a little.
Then it is a matter of trial and error with the lighting. I did my near a window so as to not have a direct flash from anywhere.
But remember, you must have the flag reversed so it is showing the stars and stripes the correct way in the drop...It was challenging, but a lot of fun....

Darlene

jdphotos Registered since 12th Jun 2012Sat 24-Nov-12 06:56 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 17

US

Congratulations! Darlene.

Thanks for the technique.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 26-Nov-12 03:26 AM
#19. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 18

creekside, US

your quite welcome jdphotos.!

Darlene

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Mon 26-Nov-12 01:24 PM
1293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 26-Nov-12 01:28 PM by greenwing

Yorkshire, GB

Well done, Darlene. I'm happy to think I've seen you progress from a very nervous beginner to a consummate (if still a bit nervous) exhibitor & seller of images. More power to you, Darlene!

ps - I've had RainX on the windscreen for about 25 years, and never realised the possibilities. Nice one!

Chris

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Tue 27-Nov-12 05:28 PM
#22. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 20

creekside, US

Thanks Chris, yes it has been a long while trying to figure this camera out. But I am stubborn, and my effort is finally paying off. Not so much monetary value, but satisfaction, which means so much more. RainX is wonderful! Just don't spay it in your eyes, been there, done that! ouch

Darlene

mkbee1 Registered since 26th Nov 2012Mon 26-Nov-12 08:44 PM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

SPECTACULAR! Your work was rewarded!

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Tue 27-Nov-12 05:28 PM
#23. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 21

creekside, US

Thanks mkbee1, yes indeed, it was!!!!!

Darlene

D90thomas Registered since 31st Dec 2011Sat 15-Dec-12 07:38 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: A happy moment!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Beautiful! It's worth $182!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252054 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.