Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252040
View in linear mode

Subject: "Used D80 a good choice for a DSLR user with some N90 ex..." Previous topic | Next topic
walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Fri 09-Nov-12 08:07 PM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Used D80 a good choice for a DSLR user with some N90 experience?"

Pennsylvania, US

A friend has asked me to purchase a used DSLR for her husband for Christmas. For those of you who have or have had the D80..... do you think it is a good choice for a relative DSLR beginner?

I personally came from a D90 and now have a D800 with a lot of good glass...so I know about good glass vs new bodies etc., but if you have a D80... or came from one ... do you think it is a camera a DSLR beginner can learn on and still grow with for a few years? I have read mixed comments so far.

We are trying to put together a kit for only a few hundred dollars and I can do that with a used D80 and some used glass, but if I move to the D90 (for example) it can almost double the cost. I would like the opinions of current D80 users whether they think the D80 has been good to them and delivered good pics.

All opinions welcome.

Dan
(Nikon D800, V2 & Sony HX400V SuperZoom)
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Used D80 a good choice for a DSLR user with some N9...
walk43 Gold Member
10th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
10th Nov 2012
walk43 Gold Member
10th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
10th Nov 2012

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sat 10-Nov-12 07:40 PM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Used D80 a good choice for a DSLR user with some N90 experience?"
In response to Reply # 1

Pennsylvania, US

Thanks....I actually just purchased one used and in excellent condition. One question though...on the playback and review screens, the shooting data appears over top of the image. Not being familiar with the D80... how do I eliminate that and only have the image appear? It was not readily apparent in the manual.

Dan
"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder....so just SHOOT."

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sat 10-Nov-12 07:54 PM
807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Used D80 a good choice for a DSLR user with some N90 experience?"
In response to Reply # 2

HIXSON, US

Dan,

I was typing when you were.

There are 5 different possible screens in playback. You toggle through them with the up or down button on the circular toggle thingy just to the upper right side of the monitor. You hit the left or right buttons to move through the photos in playback.

Hope that helps.

Charlie

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sat 10-Nov-12 08:44 PM
#5. "RE: Used D80 a good choice for a DSLR user with some N90 experience?"
In response to Reply # 4

Pennsylvania, US

Shucks Charlie...... I should have known that!! I was in a hurry and just didn't think it out. Thanks

Dan

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sat 10-Nov-12 07:45 PM
807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Used D80 a good choice for a DSLR user with some N90 experience?"
In response to Reply # 0

HIXSON, US

Thanks for reminding me that I still have a D80 that I need to sell. Hasn't been used all that much, since I opted for the D300 when it came out.

I know a professional photograher that is still using a D70. She is just now thinking of an upgrade.

Good luck!

Charlie

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #252040 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.