Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251992
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lo ISO settings on the D90" Previous topic | Next topic
William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Tue 23-Oct-12 04:52 PM
368 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lo ISO settings on the D90"

Rambouillet, FR

My daughter asked a question I couldn't answer: why are ISO settings below ISO 200 called Lo this and Lo that. And what are their ISO ratings? Is there any reason not to use the Lo settings if light is sufficient?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lo ISO settings on the D90
espeto68 Gold Member
23rd Oct 2012
JosephK Silver Member
23rd Oct 2012
Lighter Silver Member
24th Oct 2012
blw Moderator
26th Oct 2012
William Rounds Gold Member
31st Oct 2012
ericbowles Moderator
01st Nov 2012
blw Moderator
01st Nov 2012

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Tue 23-Oct-12 06:01 PM
461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lo ISO settings on the D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Oeiras, PT

The Lo ISO numbers are roughly equivalent to 160, 125 and 100 ISO settings. You can use it but need to watch the highlights carefully.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, F80, F Photomic FTn

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 23-Oct-12 08:47 PM
4545 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lo ISO settings on the D90"
In response to Reply # 1

Seattle, WA, US

Building on Jose's answer...

The lo and hi ISO markings are not numbered because they do not meet 100% of the ISO standards for those numbers. It could be that they meet 99% or maybe 9%, Nikon is not saying. However, Real World results do indicate a relatively high quality level.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Lighter Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2012Wed 24-Oct-12 06:03 AM
1066 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lo ISO settings on the D90"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 24-Oct-12 06:05 AM by Lighter

Calcutta, IN

Let's put it in this way- Lo ISO values are not native to the sensor. The sensor of D90 is made to work at ISO 200 at the least. The three reduced values offered Lo0.3, Lo0.7 and Lo1.0 are basically created by the Firmware of D90. A rough analogy of this feature can be drawn with the Optical Zoom and Digital Zoom feature offered by some Point n' shoot cameras.
Imho, it's better to use the camera at it's native ISO values unless one is compelled otherwise. Lo ISO values should be avoided as Hi ISO values. I tried Lo ISO values and compared the same scene photographed with ISO 200, and found that ISO 200 offered much better result.

Hope this helps

http://500px.com/sriroyc
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sroyc/
My gear: D90, AF-S 300 f4, AF-S 18-55 VR, Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Macro

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 26-Oct-12 01:22 AM
26758 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Lo ISO settings on the D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

My experience with Lo settings is that they are very close to the same as the base ISO in terms of image quality. I use them fairly often, in fact. They are useful for getting a little less sensitivity when that's an issue, such as with ND filters, looking for less DOF, needing slower shutter speeds for panning, etc. Tests have shown that there's somewhat less dynamic range than base ISO, but only by a small margin.

It's true that they're not native; they require amplification to reach these ISOs. In particular, they use negative amplification, which tends to compress dynamic range.

I've posted a fair number of files from Lo ISO settings over the years, and there hasn't been a single comment on them yet. I doubt that many folks have even noticed.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Wed 31-Oct-12 10:11 AM
368 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Lo ISO settings on the D90"
In response to Reply # 4

Rambouillet, FR

Thank you for the replies, which were helpful. I learn something every day here.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 01-Nov-12 02:55 PM
8738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Lo ISO settings on the D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Like Brian, I use low ISO settings quite often to slow the motion of water, create an intentional blur, etc. I probably had 100-150 images in the last week at Lo -1.0 and only 1-2 test images at ISO 3200.

Normally camera companies like to report ISO in full stops - especially for base ISO. The D300 had better performance at Lo -0.3 than base ISO of ISO 200, but ISO 200 makes a nice round number for camera settings and specs - and there is little difference.

The color and dynamic range are much better at lower ISO levels. The performance is not quite linear - and varies by camera.

ISO levels are rarely exactly at the stated level - there is considerable variation. ISO 200 might really be ISO 187 when it is measured.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 01-Nov-12 05:55 PM
26758 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Lo ISO settings on the D90"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Pictures are worth a thousand words. Here are two images:

Same lens, same photographer, same event, almost the same shutter speed and aperture. The differences are time of day (they're about an hour apart) and ISO. One is base, one is Lo-1. The cars are moving at very different speeds, though.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251992 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.