Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251977
View in linear mode

Subject: "question about using my sb700 on my d90" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Sat 20-Oct-12 02:11 AM
1408 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"question about using my sb700 on my d90"

US

Hi everyone, got stumped today trying to figure something out. Was taking some photos of knives a friend of mine made so he could submit them for a magazine. I used my sb700 on camera in ttl mode, which I see that you can only go ttl if you are in spot metering,,,don't know why that is. But anyway, I bounced the flash upward and used a piece of white foam board so the lighting looked better. But then I was not getting as much light on the blade itself, so I got out my sb600 to use as a little bit of fill. When I sat it on the table, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to set it up. So I set my 700 in master mode and my 600 to remote mode, but I couldn't get it to flash. I finally ended up just going back to using my 700 in ttl. I am confused as to what mode everything should be in ...I used to only have the sb600 and I would control that off camera, simply by using my commander mode in camera, set the pop up flash to -- and the the flash to manual and whatever I needed. That was simple, but now that I have the 700, I got lost...Can anyone help me out.....

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: question about using my sb700 on my d90
MEMcD Moderator
20th Oct 2012
pasknucklehead Silver Member
21st Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator
21st Oct 2012
22nd Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator
22nd Oct 2012
22nd Oct 2012
22nd Oct 2012
                              Reply message RE: question about using my sb700 on my d90a
MEMcD Moderator
22nd Oct 2012
22nd Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator
23rd Oct 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 20-Oct-12 05:24 AM
25941 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: question about using my sb700 on my d90"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Darlene,

Did you have the D700 set to the same group and channel as your SB-600?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Sun 21-Oct-12 02:43 AM
1408 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: question about using my sb700 on my d90"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I'm not thinking I did because on the sb700 flash itself, you turn the dial to where it says master so I didn't think it had to be set through the camera to a channel. But then I didn't know how to set the sb600 up...

Darlene

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 21-Oct-12 04:59 AM
25941 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: question about using my sb700 on my d90"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Darlene,

When you turn the power switch on the SB-700 to Master, you must then go into the SB-700's menu to set the mode and flash exposure compensation or power level for each group and the channel to match the settings in your remote Speedlights.

Best Regards,
Marty

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 22-Oct-12 02:15 AM
#4. "RE: question about using my sb700 on my d90"
In response to Reply # 3

US

So Marty, I have my 700 and my 600 in front of me now. The capital M that is to the right of the squiggly arrow, I persume means that I am using it in master mode. The directly underneath that is another m that I persume once again is that I am using this flash in manual mode and I can set the compensation where I want it. So the A right below that then would be my sb600 flash and I again manually select my compensation. And then I also need to make sure that my 600 is set to display the channel and group a since that is the only other flash I have...Is all that correct? Now should I decide to have both flashes off camera and use my pop up flash as the commander, I simply switch this 700 to remote and have one set to a and one set to b and make the exposure compensation changes via in camera..Please say I'm correct and then I can sleep tonight.........Thanks Marty.

Darlene

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 22-Oct-12 04:22 AM
#5. "RE: question about using my sb700 on my d90"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Darlene,

>So Marty, I have my 700 and my 600 in front of me now. The
>capital M that is to the right of the squiggly arrow, I
>persume means that I am using it in master mode.

You are in Master mode when the On/Off switch is switched to Master mode. The M to the right of the "squiggly arrow" indicates that the Master flash unit is in Manual mode. When TTL is displayed instead of the M, the Master flash unit is in TTL mode.

>Then directly underneath that is another m that I persume once again >is that I am using this flash in manual mode and I can set the
>compensation where I want it.

No! The M below the "squiggly arrow" is the abbreviation for Master flash unit (in this case your SB-700) and the (1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc...) indicates the power ratio that the Master (SB-700) will fire at when the Master is in Manual mode.

When the Master is in TTL mode:
To the right of the M (Master flash unit) you will see 0.0EV or what ever flash compensation value you have the Master (SB-700) set to fire at.

>So the A right below that then would be my sb600 flash and I again >manually select my compensation.

Sort of. If you are using Manual flash the Power Ratio will be displayed, not the Exposure Compensation Value!

And then I also need to make sure that my 600
>is set to display the channel and group a since that is the
>only other flash I have...Is all that correct?

Yes! Your SB-600 would have to be set to Group A and the same channel that you have set in the SB-700 in Master mode.

>Now should I decide to have both flashes off camera and use my pop >up flash as the commander, I simply switch this 700 to remote and >have one set to a and one set to b and make the exposure
>compensation changes via in camera..Please say I'm correct and
>then I can sleep tonight......

Sort of:

According to the set up above, if you want to use two Groups, you should set the SB-700 in Remote mode to Group B and the same channel that you have set in the SB-600 and the SB-700 (in Master mode).

You will then have to set up the Built-in Speedlights Commander settings.
Built-in flash (mode: TTL or M) (compensation in TTL or Power Ratio in M)
Group A (SB-600) (mode: TTL or M) (compensation in TTL or Power Ratio in M)
Group B (SB-700) (mode: TTL or M) (compensation in TTL or Power Ratio in M)
And finally set the same channel that you have set in both the SB-600 and SB-700 and your ready to go.

Sleep Well!!!

Best Regards,
Marty

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 22-Oct-12 04:25 PM
#6. "RE: question about using my sb700 on my d90"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Well, I can't really see now as I'm typing cause I got all these specks floating in my eyeballs with all these flashes going off. thanks for that....hehhe.
Okay, tried all that and it all worked just fine. Didn't know though that you could actually set up all the flashes in ttl mode. I thought everything had to be done in manual. so that's good to know. And the last thing I tried then was to put my pop up flash with the -- so it wasn't contributing to the light, but couldn't figure out why my 600 wasn't firing. I had it already set in manual mode with the channel being still in A mode, then when I change it to match the same channel as the 700 i.e B mode, it fired. So how's come one time you have to have them on 2 different channels, but then when you use ttl mode, they have to be on the same channel. That's still a little bit confusing and sure is a pain in the butt doing all this changing...

Darlene

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 22-Oct-12 04:39 PM
#7. "RE: question about using my sb700 on my d90"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Okay, wait, now I've tried it all again, and using my pop up flash to fire in both manual and ttl I don't have to have the 600 and 700 both set to A or B, they can be A and B. It is working both ways. So the real bottom line, is using pop up flash to trigger both flashes, set the camera in commander mode, dial in my numbers, have the flashes match the channel (everything needs to read channel 3 and since I don't have a button on my 600 to push to ttl as I do on the 700, I still need to have the 600 not in ttl or ttlb mode but in the commander sort of mode...right? So it's getting a little clearer now how to get this all to work. So in the end, as long as both flashes are going on, I've done something right,,,,,right? And also the higher the number i.e 1/1 (in manual mode for example) is more flash output, or in laymans terms a brighter flash, then for example 1/64, YET the 1/64 is FASTER than the 1/1....OH MY,,,LISTEN TO ME GO!!!!
But in my meek little voice,,,,i am right, aren't i marty? (smile)

Darlene

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 22-Oct-12 10:44 PM
#8. "RE: question about using my sb700 on my d90a"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Darlene,

>Okay, wait, now I've tried it all again, and using my pop up
>flash to fire in both manual and ttl I don't have to have the
>600 and 700 both set to A or B, they can be A and B. It is
>working both ways. So the real bottom line, is using pop up
>flash to trigger both flashes, set the camera in commander
>mode, dial in my numbers, have the flashes match the channel
>(everything needs to read channel 3 and since I don't have a

Yes!

>button on my 600 to push to ttl as I do on the 700,

That is because the SB-600 doesn't have Commander mode built in.

>I still need to have the 600 not in ttl or ttlb mode but in the
>commander sort of mode...right?

No. The SB-600 should be set in Remote mode when it is used off camera.
You then set the control mode (TTL or M) in the Commander be it your built-in Speedlight or your SB-700 in Master (Commander) mode.

>So it's getting a little
>clearer now how to get this all to work. So in the end, as
>long as both flashes are going on, I've done something
>right,,,,,right?

Yes!

>And also the higher the number i.e 1/1 (in
>manual mode for example) is more flash output, or in laymans
>terms a brighter flash, then for example 1/64, YET the 1/64 is
>FASTER than the 1/1....OH MY,,,LISTEN TO ME GO!!!!

Yes! The lower you set the power level, the shorter the flash duration (t.1) ( for future reference and for strobe users reading this: this is true for Speedlights and a few strobes, though when the power is reduced on most strobes, the flash duration increases (gets longer) ) .

>But in my meek little voice,,,,i am right, aren't i marty?
>(smile)

You nailed it!!!

Best Regards,
Marty

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 22-Oct-12 11:07 PM
#9. "RE: question about using my sb700 on my d90a"
In response to Reply # 8

US

A big thanks to you Marty, I've got it all now!!!!!!

Darlene

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 23-Oct-12 01:37 AM
#10. "RE: question about using my sb700 on my d90a"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Great!
Enjoy!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251977 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.