Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251968
View in linear mode

Subject: "question about flash duration" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Thu 18-Oct-12 01:54 PM
1423 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"question about flash duration"

US

Hi again everyone, have been having a blast playing with my new expensive toy, but highly recommended...Here's my question, on a flash, I have the sb700 now also, at 1/1 on manual, I know that is full power, 1/64 is lower power, I understand that, so the 1/64 doesn't produce as bright a flash burst as the 1/1. But is it true, that even though it isn't as BRIGHT a flash, it's a FASTER flash burst? Am I understanding that correctly? And another question, I know in camera on the d90 that I can have my pictures rotated automatically when I shoot verticle. But is there a way to set something up that when I review them on the computer that all the ones I've taken verticle will show up that way and I don't have to painstakingly rotate them? Just wondering..And hey, check this out...This is for all you fine people out there who put up with me...hehehehe.

Darlene

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: question about flash duration
gkaiseril Gold Member
18th Oct 2012
OnTERRYo Silver Member
18th Oct 2012
pasknucklehead Silver Member
18th Oct 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses
18th Oct 2012
19th Oct 2012
IanCT
25th Oct 2012
25th Oct 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 18-Oct-12 03:56 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: question about flash duration"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 18-Oct-12 04:21 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

That is correct, the lower the power level the shorter the flash duration. Each flash has a different length of flash and that is included in the user manual except for the SB-400.

SB-600 page 88
SB-700 page H-17
SB-800 page 122
SB-900 page F-15
SB-910 page H-14

For the SB-700:

1/1042 sec. at M1/1 (full) output
1/1136 sec. at M1/2 output
1/2857 sec. at M1/4 output
1/5714 sec. at M1/8 output
1/10000 sec. at M1/16 output
1/18182 sec. at M1/32 output
1/25000 sec. at M1/64 output
1/40000 sec. at M1/128 output

Attached is a PDF with the duration times for Nikon Speedlights and the Excel source file for the PDF.

http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/234743.pdf

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Attachment #1, (pdf file)

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Thu 18-Oct-12 04:43 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: question about flash duration"
In response to Reply # 1

Hamilton, CA

Hi Darlene.

Cannot help you with either of your questions, but, I have to say that shot is absolutely amazing. The reflection of the underside of the 'kabloop' (is there such a word?) is great.

Keep going.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Thu 18-Oct-12 05:43 PM
1423 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: question about flash duration"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hey thanks George. That certainly made it perfectly clear.....
And thanks also to you Terry, it is cool isn't it, and I don't think that's a word...(smile)

Darlene

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 18-Oct-12 10:53 PM
3298 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: question about flash duration"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Good job, Darlene. I really am enjoying following you and your quest for the perfect "drop". And we're not putting "up with you". I have to commend you for your persistence. Plus I think you're teaching us a thing or two.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Fri 19-Oct-12 03:41 AM
#5. "RE: question about flash duration"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Ahhhhhhhhhh, thanks Len, I must admit, persistence is my middle name...(smile)

Darlene

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Thu 25-Oct-12 05:00 AM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: question about flash duration"
In response to Reply # 0

SF Bay, US

Awesome image, Darlene. I especially like the reflection showing the underside of the "umbrella"

This is easily gallery/print/canvas material.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Thu 25-Oct-12 07:50 PM
#7. "RE: question about flash duration"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Well, thankyou for that nice compliment sir........

Darlene

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251968 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.