nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251881
View in linear mode

Subject: "I guess this is the place to ask what is with low ISO s..." Previous topic | Next topic
JBD90 Registered since 24th Nov 2011Thu 27-Sep-12 03:21 PM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I guess this is the place to ask what is with low ISO settings on my D90"

US

I was in really bright light and I wanted to go as low as possible on ISO. The camera only will go down to 200 then letters appear. LNN or something like that. I don't have the camera at hand. My brain wants to shoot at old kodachrome settings. I guess I am just a Kodachrome guy stuck in the digital age. So what is this L something. Is this shorthand for "you've gone low enough fella"? JBD90

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: I guess this is the place to ask what is with low I...
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
27th Sep 2012
JBD90
27th Sep 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
27th Sep 2012
lynngail Silver Member
27th Sep 2012
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
28th Sep 2012
Graystar
29th Sep 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 27-Sep-12 04:43 PM
26974 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I guess this is the place to ask what is with low ISO settings on my D90"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi John,

L 0.3 = ISO 160
L 0.7 = ISO 125
L 1.0 = ISO 100

= (equivalent)

You could always add a ND filter to the front of your lens to allow you to reduce the shutter speed or increase the aperture even more.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

JBD90 Registered since 24th Nov 2011Thu 27-Sep-12 04:56 PM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I guess this is the place to ask what is with low ISO settings on my D90"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks, I wonder why they just did not continue with the numerals. I guess it is another example of the inscrutable mind of the Japanese. I figured if it meant lower numbers there would be numbers. I still have a lot to learn. Next I have to figure out very long shutter speeds. Is there such a thing as a B setting? JB

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 27-Sep-12 05:36 PM
26974 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I guess this is the place to ask what is with low ISO settings on my D90"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi John,

The reason for the L and H settings is they are not as accurate as the ISO settings designated with numbers.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

lynngail Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2009Thu 27-Sep-12 10:10 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: I guess this is the place to ask what is with low ISO settings on my D90"
In response to Reply # 2

New York 10708, US

Wasn't B setting for bulb?
For a long exposure just keep dialing down til you get to where you want to be. Certain amount of guess work involved.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 28-Sep-12 03:01 AM
4878 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I guess this is the place to ask what is with low ISO settings on my D90"
In response to Reply # 4

Seattle, WA, US

Yes, B for bulb. Put the camera into manual exposure mode, then crank the shutter speed down (slower) all the way to the end.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Graystar Registered since 29th Sep 2012Sat 29-Sep-12 11:00 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: I guess this is the place to ask what is with low ISO settings on my D90"
In response to Reply # 0

US

As already noted, you have L0.3, L0.7, and L1.0 options. The reason Nikon doesn't use numbers is because these ISO levels are "fake"...in the sense that they're being created by reducing your highlight range.

All cameras have roughly 3 stops of highlight space above metered gray (about 12.7% gray.) When you shoot at the "L" ISO levels, your highlight space is reduced, so you may clip some highlights that you wouldn't have clipped at ISO 200.

The benefit of these ISO levels comes with scenes that are mostly dark, such as a sleeping black dog on a dark floor. Shooting at the "L" ISO levels reduces noise. In such a scene it's no problem to lose the highlight space, as there are no real highlights to speak of, and the improvement in shadow noise is noticeable.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251881 Previous topic | Next topic