Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251781
View in linear mode

Subject: "question about organizing" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Fri 07-Sep-12 01:00 AM
1406 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"question about organizing"

US

Hi everyone, Hey, I started out putting all my photos on cds, then I started using dvd"s. Now I have a mess on my hands. Everytime I want to look for a particular photo, I have to go through a lot of #### to find it, if I do at all. What do you all do to organize your pictures that makes it easy to find? Just wondering...I have so many different types, macro, scenery, people etc. There's got to be an easier way. I know I have 75 cds sitting here 1/4 full so I know I"m wasting a lot of space...I also have a portable hard drive and started putting things on there thinking that was the way to go but then got worried that if something happened to it, I'd lose everything..See my problem?

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: question about organizing
kplee Silver Member
07th Sep 2012
ttc546 Silver Member
07th Sep 2012
HenkB Silver Member
09th Sep 2012
Lolrogge Silver Member
07th Sep 2012
bbjavelina
08th Sep 2012
pasknucklehead Silver Member
10th Sep 2012
Chevy Thunder Silver Member
10th Sep 2012
kentak Silver Member
11th Sep 2012
pasknucklehead Silver Member
16th Sep 2012

kplee Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jul 2009Fri 07-Sep-12 02:01 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: question about organizing"
In response to Reply # 0

Richland, US

I'm far from the most organized person but thought I'd share my opinion. I would load all the files onto the portable drive and use a cataloging software to search the photos from the drive. I'd continue to maintain the files on CDs/DVDs so that when the hard disk fails you have a backup (preferably kept in a separate location). The archival life of the CD/DVDs is not permanent though and should not be thought of as such.

I myself have 65 Gb of photos and videos on my desktop, backed up on a separate external drive (connected to the desktop), backed up on a portable hard drive that is left at the office and some of it backed up on DVDs in a fire-rated box (mostly family photos that cannot be replaced or retaken). I sync the portable once or twice a month so I only run the risk of losing a few weeks of files in the event of a serious loss of data (both the desktop connected drives). I'm not burning DVDs as frequently. A more organized person would probably not have as much wasted redundancy but Mbs are cheap.

Pat

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ttc546 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Fri 07-Sep-12 07:47 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: question about organizing"
In response to Reply # 1

Camberley, GB

How far you want to go with a reliable storage and backup system depends on your depth of pocket and importance to you of the files.

I personally use a primary external hard disk for all files and a secondary external hard disk that is a backup of the first. External drives are relatively cheap and easy to use.

I use Lightroom as my cataloging software.

Also, your file naming convention and your directory naming convention is very key to any search and retrival. There are so many ways of doing this and many are listed on the Internet.

Chris

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Sun 09-Sep-12 07:07 PM
536 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: question about organizing"
In response to Reply # 2

Wayland, US

I agree wholeheartedly to the two external drive solution. The advantage to committing to using Lightroom is the availability of keywords. This feature, faithfully maintained, makes your choice of file structure essentially irrelevant. What does become relevant is your choice of keyword strategy which can be as idiosyncratic as you like. Just so long as you can be consistent about their application to your images, finding an image from a couple of years ago will be no less easy than finding one from yesterday.

Best,

Hendrik

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Fri 07-Sep-12 06:11 PM
276 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: question about organizing"
In response to Reply # 0

Ayden, US

I store all images on an external HDD. I creat folders and sub folders by date. External drives are cheap. I have two additional drives for back up. One is always off site. I update and alternate backup drives monthly.

Laverne

bbjavelina Registered since 22nd Jun 2008Sat 08-Sep-12 05:27 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: question about organizing"
In response to Reply # 3

angleton, US

I think you've actually asked two questions. One about organizing and one about storage. The storage issue has been well answered.

Abut organizing --- what do you use for editing? I'm a lightweight and use PSE 10. It give me all the organizing capabilities I need. I suspect others do as well.It's so easy to have files in (multiple) folders and with the keyword tags you can get to anything you want right now.

Best of luck to you.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 10-Sep-12 12:23 AM
1406 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: question about organizing"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi, I also have pse 10 but never found the organizer to be that easy to use. I have started learning lightroom and it seems pretty easy, that was until I thought I had my keywords sorted well only to find out I didn't. I guess, it's always a learning curve for just about everything you try to do. I will consider the 2 external hardrives though, hadn't thought about that....thanks friends.

Darlene

Chevy Thunder Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Mon 10-Sep-12 02:54 AM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: question about organizing"
In response to Reply # 6

Sheridan WY, US

Just throwing in my two cents -hope it all doesn't seem too "obsessive/compulsive", but I have used this method now for several years, and it has worked out great for both me and my wife. (-we use separate computer file folders, but same hard drives and same methods.)

Okay, here goes:
We use external hard drives. (one or two terabyte drives are very affordable these days). Two external drives are connected to our desktop PC all of the time. One of the drives is our "automatic running backup" drive. Our "current year photos" folders live on the internal hard drive, but are automatically/continuously backed up on the first external drive. (-we use a neat little program called "File Hamster"). The second drive contains all of our "previous years photos." (organized first by year, then sub-folders within each year by subject). And of course, obviously, I only have to update that second drive once a year. -in fact, we usually don't even have it powered on, unless we are working with previous years photos.

So, now if you haven't given up yet, we have a THIRD external hard drive which lives in our fire safe. It is a nice new 2TB drive serving as our "total disaster" file recovery drive. I update the files on it at least annually.

Yes, I hear all the advantages about using "cloud storage" programs, such as Carbonite (sp?) but personally I like to have of our files available to us all the time, without having to rely on third parties, and the internet, etc. Plus, our external drives are "portable" I guess, depending on your definition.

Now for you folks using "file organization" programs, I wonder if that would still work for us with our various hard drives ?? -just wondering. I know our system, using simple basic file folders, and sub-folders is very "low tech" but we feel like we are "fairly safe" in trying to not loose our digital photos.

What do you think??

By the way we use File Hamster to also make automatic copies of many other "non-photo" file folders containing all sorts of documents we never want to loose. -even including a selected few "saved email folders." Several years ago we had an internal hard drive crash and sure learned first hand how nice it is to have an automated file copy program running continuously.

Is there anyone else out there using similar automated file copy programs ?? It would be good to know.

Harry

"Life is GREAT " -even better with Nikonians

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Tue 11-Sep-12 05:11 AM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: question about organizing"
In response to Reply # 0

US

OMG, Darlene, I don't think anybody uses CDs anymore.

External storage drives are cheap. Get one or two. Copy all the important data on your computer to the external drives. You should have or can get backup software that does periodic backups automatically on a schedule.

Some people keep a copy of the data on their computer on a local external drive, another drive kept off site (friend's or relative's house), and another copy in the cloud (web-based storage).

If you were a Mac user, I'd suggest using Aperture for organizing and editing. I think you have Picasa. Doesn't that have an organization component?

Kent

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Sun 16-Sep-12 09:24 AM
#9. "RE: question about organizing"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Wow Harry, my mind would be on overload thinking about all that, but it certainly makes perfect sense so I thankyou for that.
Kent, come on, it's me, I've got cds all over the place and now I am trying to be a biggy girl and get onboard and up to date. I guess this isn't Kansas anymore so I will have to get some more hard drives and go that route. hehehehee. Nice to hear from ya.

Darlene

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251781 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.