Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251763
View in linear mode

Subject: "!8-200MM Lens" Previous topic | Next topic
micolhart Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Sat 01-Sep-12 08:22 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"!8-200MM Lens"

Gilford, US

Can you use a tele convertor on a Nikon 18-200 MM lens??

Thanks

SEMPER FI
Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue
Marine Corp Monument, Washington,DC

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: !8-200MM Lens
rbaskin Silver Member
01st Sep 2012
micolhart Silver Member
02nd Sep 2012
Floridian Silver Member
02nd Sep 2012
micolhart Silver Member
02nd Sep 2012
JosephK Silver Member
02nd Sep 2012
micolhart Silver Member
03rd Sep 2012

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Sat 01-Sep-12 10:04 PM
338 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: !8-200MM Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Ridgefield, US

It appears a bit iffy. Here's a quote from post asking about compatibililty with the 18-200 and the 80-400:

None of the current Nikon teleconverters will work with either of these lenses. The Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 series of teleconverters will work with the 80-400mm VR. The situation with the 18-200mm is a bit iffy -- at 18mm the clearances are quite close, so the teleconverters should be used with caution if at all. Kenko specifically states that it does not recommend using their TC's for lenses that have a zoom range that starts at under 50 mm.

You can find more in the Filters and Accessories section under Mastering your Nikon Lenses.

Hope this helps.

Ralph in CT

micolhart Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Sun 02-Sep-12 10:26 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: !8-200MM Lens"
In response to Reply # 1

Gilford, US

It does help. Thank you.
I think I'll look for a 300 or 400MM lens. Not proficient enough to call it glass.
Thanks again.

Mike

SEMPER FI

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Sun 02-Sep-12 09:57 AM
2716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: !8-200MM Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I've used the Kenko 1.4x teleconverter on the 18-200 with no problems. It seemed to autofocus OK, and image quality seemed good. I haven't put the combo to much use because I have longer lenses. I just tried it to see how it worked and it seemed useable.

On lenses I actually have used the Kenko on more (55-300 and 80-400) I have found that the lenses will autofocus without problems in good sunlight, but even in overcast daylight conditions autofocus becomes iffy. So, I'd expect the same with the 18-200.

Overall my view is that on slower lenses a teleconverter is an inexpensive way to get more reach if you need it, but not as good as having a longer lens. The 55-300 is just a bit more expensive than the Kenko teleconverter, but a much better way to get that extra reach.

Randy

micolhart Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Sun 02-Sep-12 10:28 AM
#4. "RE: !8-200MM Lens"
In response to Reply # 2

Gilford, US

Thanks for your insight. Good information. I was looking to get away on the cheap. I will have to look for a 300 or 400MM lens.
We will be going to some National Parks next year.
Thanks again

Mike

SEMPER FI

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 02-Sep-12 04:26 PM
4195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: !8-200MM Lens"
In response to Reply # 4

Seattle, WA, US

The cool thing about camera equipment is that you can rent it for special occasions for much cheaper than buying it.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

micolhart Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012Mon 03-Sep-12 08:45 PM
#6. "RE: !8-200MM Lens"
In response to Reply # 5

Gilford, US

Wow, I had never thought about that. I will have to check into that.

Thanks

Mike

SEMPER FI

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251763 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.