Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251744
View in linear mode

Subject: "memory card reformat" Previous topic | Next topic
lynngail Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2009Wed 29-Aug-12 02:25 AM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"memory card reformat"

New York 10708, US

I've reformatted my memory card twice but the counter on the camera still shows the same number of pictures as before. Am I forgetting something?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: memory card reformat
OnTERRYo Silver Member
29th Aug 2012
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
29th Aug 2012
greenwing Gold Member
30th Aug 2012
f5titan Gold Member
02nd Sep 2012
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
02nd Sep 2012
f5titan Gold Member
02nd Sep 2012

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Wed 29-Aug-12 03:13 AM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: memory card reformat"
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, CA

Hi Lynn.

Welcome to the Nikonians website.

For your dilema, it sounds as if your file number sequence is on.
Check page 182 of your manual; item d7.
When on, "...file numbering continues...".
The default is supposed to be off.
If this is your problem, someone may have changed it?

Hope this helps.

Terry.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 29-Aug-12 03:25 PM
4751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: memory card reformat"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Which camera and what card?

Is it possible that your card is huge and the previous number of pictures on it was small so that the estimated remaining space covered the number of pictures in its error margin?

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Thu 30-Aug-12 11:23 AM
1303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: memory card reformat"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, UK

Are there any pictures on the card? Press the playback (>) button to see. If there are, are you pressing the 2 buttons to format again after 'For' appears on the top LCD?

Chris

f5titan Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2006Sun 02-Sep-12 01:22 AM
799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: memory card reformat"
In response to Reply # 0

HILO, US

I had the same problem a few days ago with my D70 (stuck on 335) and my computer would no longer recognize the 1gb Sandisk card either.
Since I had a number of new images on the card I used "PC Inspector Smart Recovery (www.convar.com) to recover the images. Two years of old images had never been written over even though the card had been used often and reformatted regularly.
I disposed of the 1gb card and used a recent 2gb Sandisk card and the camera functioned normally now.

"Great things are not done by impulse but by a series of small things brought together." Vincent Van Gogh

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 02-Sep-12 05:43 AM
35059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: memory card reformat"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Did you reformat it on the camera?

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

f5titan Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2006Sun 02-Sep-12 12:54 PM
799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: memory card reformat"
In response to Reply # 0

HILO, US

Up until the 335 image glitch, the 1gb card had been reformatted each time in the camera. I disposed of the card without trying to format it again. (maybe I should have tried it one more time, though!)

"Great things are not done by impulse but by a series of small things brought together." Vincent Van Gogh

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251744 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.