nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D90 backfocus with primes

verdict

FI
44 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
verdict Registered since 14th Aug 2012
Tue 28-Aug-12 12:48 PM

Hi,

I have problem that both of my primes do massive backfocus. I have tested this with focus charts many times (using tripod, enough lights and so on.. so i'm sure that there is backfocus). Those two primes do backfocus even in outdoor, in fair sunlight, where everything should be "easy" for the camera.

Primes that I am using are 35mm f2 AF-D and 50mm f1.8 AF-D. So they are using "screwdriver"

I also have 18-105VR AF-S, and I can't say that it does backfocus. It's hard to tell if it does, because DoF is so large, but i'm 99% sure that it doesn't do backfocus.

So what I can do? I don't wanna pay several hundred euros to get these "low-end" gears in line. I'm anyway planning to change to FX, or get the 17-55 f2.8 Nikkor (the magic-glass ). Should I just dump these primes? I have read that I can correct D90's focus from those two screws behind mirror (one for MF and one for AF). But if I touch to AF-screw, I will ruin the 18-105 focus, right? There are no AF fine tune in D90

BTW: with MF I think that focus is in place.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D90 backfocus with primes

G