Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251734
View in linear mode

Subject: "question about ambient light" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Sun 26-Aug-12 02:31 AM
1409 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"question about ambient light"

US

Hey, hi everyone, had a question about ambient light and understanding the difference between using a flash set to my sync speed of 200 on my d90 or setting it lower say 1/60. I was trying to figure it out myself in a dim room but I was just confusing myself that much more. I know that you all said that if I used my flash at 200 I would see more of the background ambient light correct? or was it the other way around. Which way does it make the background almost black and does that have to be when the lights are dim? I am confused, go figure huh! thanks friends.

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 26-Aug-12 04:51 AM
3271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: question about ambient light"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 26-Aug-12 12:35 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

Think about when taking a photograph of any scene (no flash). The faster the shutter speed (aperture staying the same), the more underexposed (darker) the image gets. It's the same thing when using flash for the subject and ambient light for the background. The subject will be correctly exposed by the flash at any shutter speed (at or below the sync speed), but the background will become progressively darker the faster the shutter speed.

When the lights are dim, it will be quite easy to make the background black because you'd have to use a large aperture and slow shutter speed to expose the background correctly. For example, if the room lighting would require an aperture of f/2.8 at 1/30th for a correct exposure, shooting at f/5.6 and 1/200th with a flash would underexpose the background by 5 stops.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Tue 28-Aug-12 12:39 AM
1409 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: question about ambient light"
In response to Reply # 1

US

There goes that lightbulb off in my head...makes perfect sense,,,Thanks aolander...greatly appreciate it....

Darlene

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251734 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.