Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251727
View in linear mode

Subject: "film lenses" Previous topic | Next topic
briafast Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2010Sat 25-Aug-12 01:31 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"film lenses"

New York, US

Not sure if this the best place to post.

I have a bunch of films lenses that were given to them but I can't seem to get them to work with my D90 or D7000

Is it possible to use these with these camera?

Brian Fass
Cinematographer
www.brianfass.com
Photographer
www.brianfassphotography.com
brianfass@me.com
NYC

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: film lenses
Leonard62 Gold Member
25th Aug 2012
briafast Silver Member
25th Aug 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
26th Aug 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
27th Aug 2012
briafast Silver Member
27th Aug 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
27th Aug 2012
HenkB Silver Member
28th Aug 2012
bbjavelina
29th Aug 2012
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Sep 2012

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 25-Aug-12 04:08 PM
3110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: film lenses"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 25-Aug-12 04:14 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

They will mount on both cameras if they have AI mounts. Do not attempt to mount non-AI lenses on either body.

On the D90 there is no metering with non-CPU lenses. You will need to use M mode and adjust the shutter speed and aperture by using the sunny 16 rule or an external meter.

On the D7000 you must enter the lens focal length and max aperture in the non-CPU lens setup in the Set-up menu. Metering will work. Read page 159 in your manual.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

briafast Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2010Sat 25-Aug-12 10:26 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: film lenses"
In response to Reply # 1

New York, US

How can you tell if they have non AI mounts?

Brian

Brian Fass
Cinematographer
www.brianfass.com
Photographer
brianfass@me.com
NYC

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 26-Aug-12 12:16 AM
3110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: film lenses"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 26-Aug-12 12:49 AM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

Brian,

Prior to 1977 all Nikon lenses were non-AI. That means the only way these lenses could access the cameras meter was the prong on the back of these lenses would contact a lever up in the viewfinder area of the body. The bottom of these non-AI lenses had the black tube around the chrome mount was perfectly flat and over-lapped the mount.

When nikon developed the AI mount they put the meter coupling lever at the 1 o'clock position above the camera mount. In order to contact this lever the bottom of the lens where it overlapped the chrome mount had a couple cutouts which would contact and position the AI lever on the body.

If the bottom of the lens is perfectly flat with no cutouts that portion of the lens barrel will contact the AI lever and possibly break it. The bottom of the barrel will also contact and possibly break another little lever that is located at the 7 o'clock position around the body lens mount.

So it's not a case of it just not fitting but it will possibly create an expensive body repair.

edit: Your D90 does not have the 1 o'clock position lever on the body but it does have the 7 o'clock lever.
Your D7000 has the 1 o'clock lever and the 7 o'clock lever.

If your lenses are non-AI they can be converted to AI by machining away some of the lens barrel around the chrome lens mount. However the cutout must be positioned precisely so when it moves the AI lever on the body the meter knows what f stop the lens is set to.

Nikon's AF-D lenses with aperture rings have AI mounts with the cutouts. The G lenses without an aperture ring don't have the AI cutout mount since the lens aperture info is sent to the meter electronically rather than mechanically. The lens barrel of the G lenses is constructed with clearance so it doesn't interfere with the body AI lever or the 7 o'clock lever/button.

Len

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 27-Aug-12 02:35 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: film lenses"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

You can find a lot of information at AI Conversions for Nikon Lenses. John White was doing this before the dSLR as there were modifications needed for film lenses when Nikon switched from the pin AI on the Nikon F and Nikormat series of cameras to the AI and ADR systems.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

briafast Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2010Mon 27-Aug-12 09:38 PM
#5. "RE: film lenses"
In response to Reply # 4

New York, US

The website helped a lot but a couple of my lenses don't have the metal part for the aperture.

How can I tell if they are pre or post 1977?

Also what about teleconverters?

Brian Fass
Cinematographer
www.brianfass.com
Photographer
brianfass@me.com
NYC

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 27-Aug-12 10:27 PM
#6. "RE: film lenses"
In response to Reply # 5

Hatboro, Pa, US

Brian, what metal part? Are you talking about the prong piece that is attached by two screws at the back of the lens.

If so look and see if the two screw holes are still there. If so then look for the cutouts in the material around the lens mount. It could be that someone removed the prong.

There are also two types of manual lenses that were made without the prong. The first type would be Series E lenses. They were made after the AI and AIS lenses were made. They are fine. Nikon also made late model AIS 50mm f1.8 lenses without the prong.

The second type are preset lenses. Since the aperture is set manually the lens then meters in stop down mode which does not use the prong. Generally these lenses are fine except check the manual Incompatible Accessories and Non-CPU lenses list which lists certain lenses by serial number that are not compatible.

Len

HenkB Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2004Tue 28-Aug-12 01:40 PM
540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: film lenses"
In response to Reply # 5

Wayland, US

This is a very useful website for dating Nikkor lenses:

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

Best,

Hendrik

bbjavelina Registered since 22nd Jun 2008Wed 29-Aug-12 03:25 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: film lenses"
In response to Reply # 7

angleton, US

I bought a D90 several years ago and had some questions about some lenses I bought back in the 70's. Discussed the issue with Mr. White and supplied him with the serial numbers. He assured me these were quality lens and worth modifying. He did it fast and inexpensively. I hardly ever use them, but still feel it was worthshile and never regretted it.

Best of luck to you.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 03-Sep-12 12:29 AM
26144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: film lenses"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Brian,

Assuming that you mean there are not any prongs or ears on your lenses, they are most likely E-type lenses if they are Manual focus lenses or early Autofocus lenses, both of which are safe to mount on your cameras.
Why don't you copy down the information from each lens and list it for each lens in your reply. We can then determine what lenses that you have.
Posting an image or two of each lens would be helpful as well.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251727 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.