Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251713
View in linear mode

Subject: "D90 - Pictures with incorrect alignment" Previous topic | Next topic
Marcial Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2010Wed 22-Aug-12 11:42 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D90 - Pictures with incorrect alignment"
Thu 23-Aug-12 02:07 PM by Marcial

US

Most of my pictures are lacking the correct alignment: vertical lines are not perfectly vertical and horizontal lines are not perfectly horizontal.

Actually, there is a better way to describe the problem: my pictures show a SLIGHT ROTATION TO THE LEFT or counterclockwise. In fact, if I want to correct the problem, I need to use any software for editing pictures and use the "fine rotation" function in the opposite direction,.

It must be the way I try to do the alignment while I am shooting. I am doing something wrong and I don't know what it is.

How to get a correct alignment? What am I doing wrong?

Maybe I am trying to align the object with the edges of the viewfinder. Is there any way to have like a grid or at least one vertical line in the center of the viewfinder that I can use as a guide?

Anyone else has this problem? I don't thing that it has anything to do with the camera but with me.

I tried to attach one of my pictures so that you can see what I am trying to explain but each time I am getting a "runtime error" (this is a new PC).

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D90 - Pictures with incorrect alignment
OnTERRYo Silver Member
23rd Aug 2012
Marcial Silver Member
23rd Aug 2012
Rdolz
23rd Aug 2012
Marcial Silver Member
23rd Aug 2012
Marcial Silver Member
23rd Aug 2012
stevoxt
24th Aug 2012
Marcial Silver Member
24th Aug 2012
elec164 Silver Member
25th Aug 2012
Marcial Silver Member
25th Aug 2012
briantilley Moderator
25th Aug 2012
Marcial Silver Member
25th Aug 2012
mkbee1 Silver Member
26th Nov 2012
kentak Silver Member
04th Dec 2012

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Thu 23-Aug-12 01:16 AM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D90 - Pictures with incorrect alignment"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 23-Aug-12 01:17 AM by OnTERRYo

Hamilton, CA

Hi Marcial.

From the other thread, I know you are using a D90.

I believe what you want is the Viewfinder Grid Display.
Check page 181 of your manual; it seems to be the d2: option of your menu. I haven't used it as yet.

And, to help with the images you have already, check
page 221. It should allow you to rotate a copy of your original
image in .025 degree increments, up to five degrees in total.
And, again, I haven't tried it.

Hope this helps.

Terry.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

Marcial Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2010Thu 23-Aug-12 01:30 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D90 - Pictures with incorrect alignment"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Terry, you helped me a lot! Yes, the option was there just as you said it. Now I got the grid I wanted in my viewfinder.

As for editing pictures in the camera, you are absolutely correct again!

Thanks again,

Rdolz Registered since 21st Jul 2012Thu 23-Aug-12 06:48 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D90 - Pictures with incorrect alignment"
In response to Reply # 2

Valencia, ES

Hello Marcial,

I use also a bubble level for the shoe mount. It helps a lot. By the way, do not understand why the grid has 3 lines instead of 2.

Regards from Spain!

Marcial Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2010Thu 23-Aug-12 02:07 PM
#4. "RE: D90 - Pictures with incorrect alignment"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 23-Aug-12 02:12 PM by Marcial

US

Hi Rdolz,

Yes, the grid has 3 vertical lines and 3 horizontal lines but a friend who also have a Nikon just told me that we can change the number of lines. I didn't try it though.

Now, talking about the perfect level for the camera on a tripod and the bubble, I am not sure if that would resolve the problem. The lens play tricks on us and sometimes we need to place the camera in an odd position (not perfectly leveled) just to compensate the distorsion in the center of the viewfinder, so that at least the lines in the center are vertical and horizontal

Marcial Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2010Thu 23-Aug-12 03:39 PM
#5. "RE: D90 - Pictures with incorrect alignment"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 23-Aug-12 03:41 PM by Marcial

US

This is one example of the problem with the alignment or pictures with slight counterclockwise rotation.

It's possible that I was unconsciously aligning the building on the left with the left edge of the viewfinder.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

stevoxt Registered since 07th May 2010Fri 24-Aug-12 09:43 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D90 - Pictures with incorrect alignment"
In response to Reply # 5

belfast, GB

Hi,

Could it be lens distortion, is it a 18-105 vr lens you have.

Depending on what I'm photographing mine throws the vertical lines off but I fix it in post.

All the best
stevie

Marcial Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2010Fri 24-Aug-12 11:10 PM
#7. "RE: D90 - Pictures with incorrect alignment"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 24-Aug-12 11:14 PM by Marcial

US

Stevie, you are right, I was using 10-105 VR in those pictures!

I was on vacation in Paris so I didn't want to carry all other lenses with me.

With wide angles there will always be distorsion but it seems that I tend to align on the left.

Any other thoughts will be appreciated.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 25-Aug-12 10:01 AM
2113 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D90 - Pictures with incorrect alignment"
In response to Reply # 7

US

There are lens aberrations such as pin cushion and barrel distortion, but this does not appear to be one of them.

Another possibility (especially if it occurs with more than one lens) is that there is a misalignment somewhere. Most likely with the focus screen and/or mirror. Have you tried setting your camera on a tripod and using a bubble level to make sure the camera is level? That will tell you if it's a mirror/focus screen alignment problem or a remote possibility of the sensor being out of alignment.

Pete

Pete

Marcial Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2010Sat 25-Aug-12 01:51 PM
#9. "RE: D90 - Pictures with incorrect alignment"
In response to Reply # 8
Sat 25-Aug-12 01:52 PM by Marcial

US

Hi Pete,

No, I haven't used my D90 with a bubble-level tripod.

I don't mean to disagree with any of these valuable opinions that you all are giving me, but the more I think of the problem, based on the opinions I am collecting here, the more I believe that this problem has to do with the way I hold he camera looking for a reference line on the left.

Now that I have a grid on the viewfinder, I will try the center alignment, particularly when I am shooting at a wide angle.

Let me try that first, and if the problem persists, I will to the bubble level.

Thanks a million, again.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 25-Aug-12 02:56 PM
29153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D90 - Pictures with incorrect alignment"
In response to Reply # 9

Paignton, GB

>I don't mean to disagree with any of these valuable opinions
>that you all are giving me, but the more I think of the
>problem, based on the opinions I am collecting here, the more
>I believe that this problem has to do with the way I hold he
>camera looking for a reference line on the left.

Yes - from the example posted above, I think that is the most likely explanation. With this type of shot, finding a horizontal edge parallel to the camera sensor somewhere in the scene, and aligning with that, can be the most reliable method. Using a vertical edge can prove troublesome, especially if you're pointing the camera at a slight angle up or down.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Marcial Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2010Sat 25-Aug-12 04:15 PM
#11. "RE: D90 - Pictures with incorrect alignment"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Brian, so you recommend a horizontal line as a reference instead. I will try the horizontal edge before anything else.

Thanks a lot again.

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Mon 26-Nov-12 08:57 PM
637 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D90 - Pictures with incorrect alignment"
In response to Reply # 11

West Valley, US

I have the same problem with my D50, and I am nearly certain it is me, tilting the camera ever so slightly. Some are good, and others are tilted in varying small degrees.

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Tue 04-Dec-12 12:45 AM
924 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D90 - Pictures with incorrect alignment"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 04-Dec-12 01:10 AM by kentak

US

Self deleted. Didn't realize OP was so old.

Kent

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251713 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.