nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251694
View in linear mode

Subject: "Charging D90 battery while in the U.K. on a tour..." Previous topic | Next topic
tpjct Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2007Mon 20-Aug-12 09:10 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Charging D90 battery while in the U.K. on a tour..."

Webster Groves, US

Hello, all

Will be on a several week tour of Scotland, Wales, Ireland & England , coming from the U.S.
Will obviously need to repeatedly charge the battery on my U.S. model D90 while there.
If I have an adapter designed to plug into the outlets in those countries, will I also need to use the converter that came with the adapter to lower the voltage for the Nikon charger or is that feature built into the charger itself ?
The guy at the local camera store here said he thought the converter feature was already built into the Nikon chargers. Can someone that knows for sure verify that ?

Thanks,
Lyndsey Cogburn

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Charging D90 battery while in the U.K. on a tour...
gkaiseril Gold Member
20th Aug 2012
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
21st Aug 2012
espeto68 Gold Member
21st Aug 2012
tpjct Silver Member
21st Aug 2012
Floridian Silver Member
21st Aug 2012
tpjct Silver Member
21st Aug 2012
limeyzen Silver Member
22nd Aug 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 20-Aug-12 09:25 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Charging D90 battery while in the U.K. on a tour..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 20-Aug-12 09:32 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Check the label on the charger. Like many modern electronic power supplies, it can handle multiple AC voltages and frequency cycles. It should be able to handle 100-240 Volts AC and a frequency cycles between 50 and 60 cycles per second or Hertz. You will only need a new cord or if you watch the cord for overheating a plug adapter.

From the tech support page of Nikon USA:

Can I take my digital SLR camera overseas on a vacation?

"Yes, Nikon Digital SLR cameras have an auto switching (from 100v to 240V 50hz/60hz) battery charger that will work in most countries around the world. A/C adapters have similar characteristics. Always check the specification plate on your other battery chargers or A/C adapters as third party products may not support dual voltage systems. We do not suggest the use of third party battery chargers and A/C adapters with Nikon equipment.

"Note that the cord included with the Nikon charger or A/C adapter is designed for 110 volt use only. A power cord suitable for the local power system should be obtained on arrival, most airport shops and computer suppliers will carry these items which are typically used for laptop conmputer power supply connections. Be sure that the new cord you buy fits the Nikon adapter you wish to use it with and that it is rated for the voltage in your new location. While not recommended, a simple plug adapter may be used, but caution should be taken as the cord Nikon supplies is not rated for the higher voltage and may heat or fail."

Can I take my Coolpix camera overseas on a vacation?

George
My Nikonian Galleries

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Tue 21-Aug-12 04:55 AM
887 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Charging D90 battery while in the U.K. on a tour..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 21-Aug-12 04:57 AM by ShrimpBoy

Brighton and Hove, UK

What George has posted makes sense. I knew that the power brick itself can handle both voltages but I hadn't really thought about the cord overheating.

Several years ago I bought the 1600W version of this converter. I have it set to act as a transformer, in other words to convert the UK's 240V to the 110V that US appliances like. It works like a charm and I have no worries about my gear burning up.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Tue 21-Aug-12 10:05 AM
467 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Charging D90 battery while in the U.K. on a tour..."
In response to Reply # 2

Oeiras, PT

+1 on this.
I´ve been using my D90 around the world with no problems charging it in US or UK, using only an adapter.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, F80, F Photomic FTn

tpjct Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2007Tue 21-Aug-12 08:02 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Charging D90 battery while in the U.K. on a tour..."
In response to Reply # 3

Webster Groves, US

Thanks to George , Gary and Jose for their help with my question.

Regards,
Lyndsey

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Tue 21-Aug-12 07:25 PM
2760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Charging D90 battery while in the U.K. on a tour..."
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I'll confirm what José told you. I've used the Nikon battery charger I bought in the US with the cord that came with it, and just an adapter plug, all over the world with no problems. You don't need a voltage converter, and the US cord works fine and does not overheat.

Randy

tpjct Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2007Tue 21-Aug-12 08:14 PM
#6. "RE: Charging D90 battery while in the U.K. on a tour..."
In response to Reply # 4

Webster Groves, US

Thank you , Randy. You just touched on every part of the question that I had in mind. Sounds like I should be okay for the trip.

Thanks to all,
Lyndsey Cogburn

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Wed 22-Aug-12 12:47 PM
370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Charging D90 battery while in the U.K. on a tour..."
In response to Reply # 4

Waynesville, US

Let me add my voice to the chorus! I recently returned from the UK and while there used my US charger without a problem. Did get a UK cord for it and used it so cannot comment on efficacy of US cord. I also got a spare battery just in case and would suggest you do same. have a great visit.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251694 Previous topic | Next topic