Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251685
View in linear mode

Subject: "Closeups with D80" Previous topic | Next topic
JackHamiltonBush Registered since 15th Aug 2012Wed 15-Aug-12 11:52 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Closeups with D80"

CA

I currently shoot solely with the AF-S Nikkor 18-200 mm. zoom lens. This is inadequate for closeups of flowers, bugs, and so on. I'm wondering if Nikon has a nice closeup zoom lens that will give me sharp results (I like the flexibility of zoom lenses). Failing that, can someone recommend the best Nikon closeup lens for such purposes. I'd like to keep it under $1,000.

Thanks.

Jack

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Closeups with D80
aolander Silver Member
15th Aug 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
15th Aug 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
15th Aug 2012
JackHamiltonBush
15th Aug 2012
OnTERRYo Silver Member
17th Aug 2012

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 15-Aug-12 02:12 PM
3175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Closeups with D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

There are zooms that have a "macro" setting but these are not true macro lenses. There are no macro/micro (Nikon calls them "Micros") zooms currently manufactured by Nikon. There is an older zoom, the 70-180mm, that is a true macro/micro, but it still sells for over $1000 used.

There are a number of good fixed focal length macro lenses made by Nikon and others. Examples are:

Nikon 60mm, 105mm, 200mm
Tamron 90mm, 180mm
Sigma 105mm, 150mm, 180mm

The longer focal lengths are often preferred for animate subjects as they give you a greater working distance.

Another option is a close-up diopter to use with your 18-200mm such as the Canon 500D. Nikon no longer makes its 3T, 4T, 5T, and 6T diopters, but they can be found used.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 15-Aug-12 02:26 PM
2895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Closeups with D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hello Jack,

Nikon doesn't currently make a macro zoom lens or a zoom lens that will get you much closer than your 18-200mm zoom. Nikon did make a macro zoom, the AF 70-180mm f4.5-f5.6. It focused down to 1:1.3 at 180mm, not quite 1:1. It's a very good lens but was discontinued some some ago. It's now very hard to find and the price keeps rising to where now it costs more than it did when new. The going price is now between $1400 and $1800 used. I paid $999 for mine over 4 years ago and mine, though used, was mint in the original box.

Nikon's current macro lenses which will focus down to 1:1 are extremely good lenses and are priced below your $1000 limit.

For field use and at a good working distance your best lens for the purpose is the AFS 105mm f2.8 VR lens for $899. My choice for a DX macro lens would be the AFS DX 85mm f3.5 VR lens for $479. I would stay with the AFS lenses just in case you get a new body in the future, like the D5100 or D3200, that require AFS lenses for auto focus.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 15-Aug-12 02:28 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Closeups with D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Besides a lens, you can add an auxiliary lens, extension tubes, or a bellows to achieve closeups.Micro, Macro & Close-up Photography

George
My Nikonian Galleries

JackHamiltonBush Registered since 15th Aug 2012Wed 15-Aug-12 02:47 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Closeups with D80"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

Wonderful replies and information.I like the sound of Leonard's recommendation of the AFS DX 85mm f3.5 VR lens for $479. Thanks, George, for the link to closeup photography. Thanks for taking the time.

Jack

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Fri 17-Aug-12 08:54 PM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Closeups with D80"
In response to Reply # 4

Hamilton, CA

Hi Jack.

Welcome to Nikonians.

Enjoy.

I've sent you an email with regard to a lens source.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251685 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.