nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251675
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question about "tic" marks" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Tue 07-Aug-12 03:15 AM
1425 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question about "tic" marks"

US

Hi everyone, I went out today to take some photos....While I was standing there scratching my head, I couldn't for the life of me remember about the tic marks and flash. Here's my question. Had my camera on manual, aperature on 8, iso 400, using on sb600 flash. I had my shutter speed on 1/60, ( I don't have the foggiest idea why I didn't change it) but my question is this..When You pop on the flash, does it matter a whole lot what the tic marks read? It looked like a correct exposure as I viewed it on the lcd, so I didn't really worry about it a whole lot even though I was shaking my head thinking "geeze, I should know this stuff by now"!
And also, can someone refresh my memory on what the difference it would have been had I shot at the sync speed of 200 instead of letting it stay on 60? I am mush right now, must be the heat. Thanks pals.

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Tue 07-Aug-12 04:59 AM
886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question about "tic" marks"
In response to Reply # 0

Brighton and Hove, UK

Darlene, try this explanation. Short answer: the exposure indicator is showing you how well exposed the background (the stuff that the flash can't reach) will be. The camera attempts to always get the foreground properly exposed by blasting it with as little or as much flash as is needed. If your background is a stop or less underexposed, the lighting in the picture will likely look quite balanced. If your background is three or four stops underexposed the background could be quite dark making the use of flash on the subject very obvious.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Tue 07-Aug-12 08:22 PM
1425 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question about "tic" marks"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 07-Aug-12 08:23 PM by pasknucklehead

US

Okay, now I remember,,,and thanks Gary for that link, it really refreshed my memory...Alan, thanks also for that your explaination. Now I'm back on track..thanks friends.

Darlene

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 07-Aug-12 01:15 PM
3359 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question about "tic" marks"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The meter ("tic marks") is just showing you where the ambient light exposure is at. It's not telling you anything about the flash exposure. The flash will expose the subject and the ambient light will expose the background, basically. You can use the meter to help you adjust how bright/dark you want the background. If you would have used 1/200th the meter would probably have shown underexposure and the background would have been dark/darker.

Alan

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251675 Previous topic | Next topic