Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251657
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rear Curtain Sync Flash" Previous topic | Next topic
Andy47 Registered since 20th Aug 2011Wed 01-Aug-12 01:05 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Rear Curtain Sync Flash"

Albuquerque, US

Dear Nikonians--need your expert advice.

The concept is a picture of someone taking the last step down a dimly lit spiral staircase, so that there is motion but the figure is sharp at the bottom step. I have set my D90 to Manual mode and Rear curtain sync and exposure based on ambient light. I'm using an off camera SB700 in commander mode (it fires just fine). My problem is that the figure remains ghostly. I've tried overexposing--really ghostly!--and underexposing--a bit more evident--but I haven't found a setting that makes the figure sharp at the end of the step.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Andy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Rear Curtain Sync Flash
Bluewaterhooker0 Silver Member
01st Aug 2012
JosephK Silver Member
01st Aug 2012
aolander Silver Member
01st Aug 2012
blw Moderator
01st Aug 2012
Andy47
03rd Aug 2012
MEMcD Moderator
06th Aug 2012
avm247 Moderator
06th Aug 2012
Arkayem Moderator
22nd Aug 2012

Bluewaterhooker0 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2009Wed 01-Aug-12 07:06 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Rear Curtain Sync Flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa, US

Samples of your attempts would help a lot.

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 01-Aug-12 03:18 PM
3710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Rear Curtain Sync Flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

As Jerry points out, some examples would be helpful.

My first thought is to lessen the power of the flash so that the flash duration is shorter.

Next might be to get the model to move a little slower.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 01-Aug-12 06:57 PM
3053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Rear Curtain Sync Flash"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 01-Aug-12 06:59 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

Since you have to expose for ambient light, ghosting is going to be evident even during the flash exposure. Under expose the ambient as much as you can, and like Joseph mentioned, have the subject move slower.

Alan

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 01-Aug-12 11:03 PM
26291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Rear Curtain Sync Flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

And what mode is the flash in? TTL or TTL-BL? TTL-BL will have a very minimal effect if the ambient exposure is close to metered. I guess so will TTL, too...

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Andy47 Registered since 20th Aug 2011Fri 03-Aug-12 02:48 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Rear Curtain Sync Flash"
In response to Reply # 4

Albuquerque, US

Thank you all.

I'm thinking the exposure for the ambient light is one issue because in my test shots the room was very well light while the model (me) was ghostly; Also, the zoom on the speedlight is the other issue--it has to be reading the model only, and not the rest of the room if in TTL; or, I could use manual. I deleted my first tests in disgust but hope to have time to try again tomorrow. Thanks again.

Andy

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 06-Aug-12 09:30 AM
25006 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Rear Curtain Sync Flash"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Andy,

How did your test work out?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberMon 06-Aug-12 04:37 PM
18153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Rear Curtain Sync Flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

When I tried this back in my film days, I used Slow and Rear Sync on my SB28 and set the camera to 1-2 seconds and set aperture of like f/5.6. and bracketed my exposures.

Can you post examples of what your getting?
Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberWed 22-Aug-12 08:23 PM
5954 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Rear Curtain Sync Flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Dear Nikonians--need your expert advice.
>
>The concept is a picture of someone taking the last step down
>a dimly lit spiral staircase, so that there is motion but the
>figure is sharp at the bottom step. I have set my D90 to
>Manual mode and Rear curtain sync and exposure based on
>ambient light. I'm using an off camera SB700 in commander mode
>(it fires just fine). My problem is that the figure remains
>ghostly. I've tried overexposing--really ghostly!--and
>underexposing--a bit more evident--but I haven't found a
>setting that makes the figure sharp at the end of the step.

When there is motion in a flash picture the flash will stop the motion. However, if the ambient is bright, there will be a second image on top of the flash frozen image, and depending on the shutter speed, that ambient contribution may show the motion blur.

The only way to stop this blur is to eliminate the ambient portion of the exposure. So, the first step is to turn OFF the flash and shoot a picture using the shutter speed and aperture you want to use with the flash ON. This will show you how much ambient contribution you are getting. You want this to be very dark to eliminate the ambient.

To eliminate the ambient, you have to increase the shutter speed and you also may have to select a smaller aperture (high numbered f/ stop).

This is all best done with the camera in Manual mode, so you can adjust the shutter and aperture to whatever you want.

Also, make sure the flash is in Regular TTL and NOT in TTL-BL mode. TTL-BL mode is for adding fill flash to an ambient exposure, which is the opposite of what you are trying to do.

Then, when you get a totally dark ambient exposure, turn ON the flash and let it provide all the light for the exposure. Then, the motion will be stopped.

However, if the ambient is bright, there may not be any settings that will eliminate the ambient exposure. Then, the only solution is to turn OFF the flash and shoot the picture using the ambient light at a high shutter speed to stop the motion.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D90/D80/D70 (Public) topic #251657 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.