nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D90 exposure from LCD to computer - Photos added

Pete_C

Garden City, US
78 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Pete_C Registered since 02nd Aug 2011
Wed 25-Jul-12 04:47 PM | edited Wed 25-Jul-12 08:44 PM by Pete_C

Hi everyone,

I am shooting with the D90 and 18-105 primarily. I have a home studio setup with an SB900 and SB700 and use the SU800 wireless commander. My problem is that all of the photos look properly exposed on the LCD but are quite a bit unexposed when I upload them. I realize the LCD is not going to give a perfect preview, but the difference is so great that the photos are almost unusable. I upped the flash exposure compensation on both units which helped, but maybe there is something I am missing? I also took some in raw, which I figured would give me greater latitude, but I couldn't even get those to look right.

I am taking pictures of guitars, I can upload some if you want to see....

Thanks!
Pete

EDIT: Here are some samples. The first sunburst guitar is okay, but still at least 1 stop darker than it looked on my LCD. The second of the blonde guitar looked fine on the LCD. In fact, I could see all the detail around the headstock and the tuning machines were easily distinguished from the background. I am not sure why this is happening but I don't think it's user error. I never noticed this kind of difference before and have been shooting with the D90 for two years now.

Also, I think there is a firmware update. Maybe I should try that?? Thanks! Any help is appreciated.

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D90 exposure from LCD to computer - Photos added

G